State of the game

Since I missed the town hall today I wanted to give my two cents.

First, lets talk about artifacts. They are great! however, the new ones which are cursed are really bad for business. I do not mind crafting artifacts that is cool, however these ones are stupid. There is to much attack damage and hit and stats that do not stack well. The damage % is capped at 150% With a good weapon and 3 pieces of attack gear and rings and necklace I can easily exceed 300%. I am not saying that it should be allowed to go that high. What I am saying is why do you have gear in this game that is 1/3 of the stat cap. Weapons can be 2/3 of the stat cap. That is really bad design. Hit chance/Defense is broken. I can have 80+ hit and a person with 25 defense counters all my +hit. This does not make sense to anyone. I understand there should be a cap, however if I have 80% hit and hes got 25 I should still be at that cap.

The new artifacts are great, and fun to craft. However the stats on them make no sense. I love the fact that if i craft cloth gear 50% of them have +attack damage. Which makes no sense. You allow sabers and shields to have +spell damage which now makes it useless to have attunement. you bragged about 200 unique sets, but in reality you just gave us 15 random stats and each piece rolls 4, which means that 90% of the gear is for hybrids and have wasted stats.

Dungeon farming in this game is worthless, there is nothing that spawns in dungeons. There are no higher tier resources outside of Vile blood. We have repeatedly tell the devs that farming mats is basically pulling teeth. Blightwood, Vile, Silk, and vile blood are basically the most painful thing in the universe to farm. As you can spend 2 hours and come out with 30-40. That's great if you only needed 200 to level but when you need thousands, especially now with the artifact crafting scrolls.

Awakenings are pointless and stupid, you put artifacts on it that are mediocre and then put artifacts that are absolutely worthless, Thanks Alexis, and Barkus. The only reason to go there is the books, which have the lowest drop rate. Good luck farming a GM rogue book. I have been playing with a bunch of people and we have done hundreds of awakenings and some of them still have never dropped one. Awakenings should drop GM books and good items they take forever and are not engaging enough to spend 45 minutes doing. Kill 500 rats to start it, seriously? you could just skip the first two steps and it might be worth it. Master books should not drop from Awakenings they should drop from Dungeon Bosses, Dark lord, Ogre Brute etc.

Enchanting was a great idea, it always seems that every time you come up with a decent idea you over haul and make it worthless. Now artifacts are going to be the standard so people who did 1000 work orders before to get the enchants are basically holding onto them for well no reason. It is not as good as even the worst artifacts. So basically you nullified a cool aspect of crafting for high end gear.

Dynamic spawners These are a good start but there is not enough variety in them and the items they drop are the same 7 that drop from all of them. Over loading with these items is easy and well to be frank boring. After you have done these things for a month you have so many you couldn't run out if you tried.

League quests: League quests are boring and unengaging, farm this, hand this in. you get all your points to buy a piece of gear that can be ganked off you easily. Heck the capes are not even blessed, and they cant be blessed.. that to me is insane. Then they cap you at 24000 and then raised the price of everything without telling anyone, so people like my stupid arse who has 48000 league of explorer points come on to find next to useless gear and I cant even farm more. I really do not understand why there is a cap and why they made items (that are not even that good) harder to get. The cursed mace is good but again cursed items are bad.

Talent farming: currently its now easier to farm massive amounts of talents because you can get like 15-20k an hour farming them. Course there is no fighting going on so Eldier has complete control over it. Which does not really matter as the items they provide at the moment are pretty stupid and garbage. The fighting in this game is for sport. The most enjoyable pvp I have is hunting PKs after they gank someone. That is engaging and fun its also not 12 on 12 where it lags and who ever zergs first wins. PvP in this game does not have incentives other than talents and then they removed talents from pvp fights. Which makes no sense. I get they do not want people to game the system but currently the system is not engaging enough to be worth time playing. (course that is my opinion). They also took away mending pots and cursed hearth stones. Again just dumb. They were not that big of a problem.

The inflation of the talents, this is a huge slap in the face of people who have farmed them. I know several people farmed them insanely hard with multiple accounts etc. I get that there were Millions out there. Instead of upping the price of everything and hosing your long term players why would you not just add cool deco items or even a cool "keep blueprint" for Large sums of talents that way people will want to spend there tons of talents on something cool and unique. Also give something for people to farm long term rather than just day to day basics for pvp.

PvP needs Long term gain-able items for extended pvping. This system does not support that, I am sure there might be cool items that are going to be at different ranks, however I do not like fighting 10v10 its hectic and honestly not fun. I enjoy 3v3 or 5v5. There should be instances where its more of a pve thing with pvp going on. Albion had an awakening that was like this both teams start at one point and they meet up in the middle the winning team fights a boss. You could even tie that to talents where it takes a certain number of talents to open the portal then artifacts/rare enchants could spawn off the boss. You need to have some incentive for pve players to pvp, currently there is not one. As you do not achieve anything fighting other players. Currently you only achieve things fighting mobs in Valus. There are no buffs that make you want the flags, there needs to be pve/item incentives. I mentioned world bosses for controlling the flags for x period of time or when you control all 3 it opens up the portal to fight a dragon or something.

and for the love of god put back in mounted combat, dismounting off my horse every time my Wyvern attacks something is so disorientating and really just does immerse me into the game at all.

I know there is more but Currently I just was throwing this at you guys for my opinion, flamed or not just my opinions here. I hope that citadel looks at it.

Comments

• Well said and very true meegosh.
  • @MisterGizmo Your last point really drives home the real issue. I have been saying the same thing for so long...

Stop designing new systems and FIX what you already have. Make what you already have complete!

Professions - incomplete
    Dungeons - incomplete
    Factions - incomplete (x3 development cycles wasted on this 1 system)

I could go on but it doesn't matter. I have seen a developer sitting in a discord channel for HOURS with 1 player. A known PK guild leader.

Guess what changes we got development side? PK's reduced skill loss, and everything else that person wanted the very next patch.

It seems to me, you either need to be buddies with a developer or scream the loudest to get changes made. I really don't like the idea of one individual sitting in discord with a developer for HOURS on end, seems very suspicious.

Why would supreme allow this? I don't know...

Lastly, the U-turn development style. Lets take factions for instance. We are on the third development cycle of factions.

First it was a salt system, then a blessed talent system, now an unblessed talent system. They made massive game altering changes to this system. WHY?

Instead of wasting 100's of development man hours on this 1 system, why not make small tweaks to improve it over the course of time. Don't throw the whole system into the dumpster, and start from scratch. That's a massive waste of developmemt time and pisses off your community who spent months grinding that system for what reason? For it to be all wasted, and thrown away?

It's simple, if you don't like the way your players are gaming your game, then make small changes you don't like.

Anyways, none of what we are saying matters. They really don't read this stuff. I'm not a pk guild leader, and I'm not friends with a developer. This will fall on deaf ears.
  • Last week a noob was whining about how hard it was to level inscription.

This week, 300% increase in drop rates of top tier resources. Now those are worthless

They do listen.

• edited February 27
    I bailed quite awhile ago and just keep my eyes out hoping one of the community projects can salvage the magic the end of CB2 had, but my comment and Derek's reply to it topping this AMA didn't age well it would seem https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/ds4o4m/i_am_derek_supreem_brinkmann_project_lead_for/
  • That's my feeling as well. The arbitrary numbers on changes must stop. A small adjustment to game systems would be sufficient. Call it tweaks, or dialing it up a notch. Whatever they want to call it as long as it's less drastic, and CAREFULLY thought out.
  • too little too late. CS should have done something to keep player when there good amount of players population in the game last year.
  • I totally agree with the point that was made about finishing/fixing things already implemented in the game and quit worrying about adding new stuff until 90% of the current implementations are completed. If anything, finish implementing missing skills, like detect hidden and all the other skills that are so obviously missing.

Mortal Online did the same exact thing... always worrying about adding new content, new skills, etc, etc, while the base game was broken and never fixed. All players wanted was for the main game to work correctly and for what you started to get finished, THEN worry about adding new stuff. There are plenty of bugs to fix still as well.

Unless the developers change their priorities, this game will die and it won't take until the end of this year.
  • Kraxis said:

@MisterGizmo Your last point really drives home the real issue. I have been saying the same thing for so long...

Stop designing new systems and FIX what you already have. Make what you already have complete!

Professions - incomplete
    Dungeons - incomplete
    Factions - incomplete (x3 development cycles wasted on this 1 system)

I could go on but it doesn't matter. I have seen a developer sitting in a discord channel for HOURS with 1 player. A known PK guild leader.

Guess what changes we got development side? PK's reduced skill loss, and everything else that person wanted the very next patch.

It seems to me, you either need to be buddies with a developer or scream the loudest to get changes made. I really don't like the idea of one individual sitting in discord with a developer for HOURS on end, seems very suspicious.

Why would supreme allow this? I don't know...

Lastly, the U-turn development style. Lets take factions for instance. We are on the third development cycle of factions.

First it was a salt system, then a blessed talent system, now an unblessed talent system. They made massive game altering changes to this system. WHY?

Instead of wasting 100's of development man hours on this 1 system, why not make small tweaks to improve it over the course of time. Don't throw the whole system into the dumpster, and start from scratch. That's a massive waste of developmemt time and pisses off your community who spent months grinding that system for what reason? For it to be all wasted, and thrown away?

It's simple, if you don't like the way your players are gaming your game, then make small changes you don't like.

Anyways, none of what we are saying matters. They really don't read this stuff. I'm not a pk guild leader, and I'm not friends with a developer. This will fall on deaf ears.

Let me guess, CoM? Tornyx would sit in their discord for hours, this has been going on for over 6 months.
  • edited March 11
    @Grex

I don't want to name the person. That will just cause some unnecessary drama. The devs know who and what I'm talking about.

I don't mind them hanging out and chatting to the masses about game development. However, 1 developer sitting in a private discord channel for hours on end with 1 other person, then the very next patch rewards that players game style?

I mean that's just wrong...

I was always willing to give the developers the benefit of the doubt. But the recent changes, and the preferential treatment of certain players have me a little perturbed.
  • edited March 12
    Yesterday a CoM member stated on Discord that any population decrease in the past is "100% not to do with reds"
    When non-CoMs were suggesting what solution may be (PK control), CoM were all like "CS do what you do and ignore the noise coming from discord"
  • OuijaOuija Canada
    A lot of the comments in discord about development to get taken into consideration. Some people have more influence than others and its for a good reason. sometimes its frustrating yes. we are still in early access , people wanna see some serious changes that help direct the flow of productivity. some other people do not want things to change because they have worked hard for what they have , unfortunately things DO hafto change and more content needs to be added. This will undoubtedly always frustrate those who got to "endgame".
  • AspetraAspetra USA, Maine - Verdant Earth
    This game needs to find a way to get PvE players to want to play again. However, as soon as I make a suggestion or even hint towards gear insurance system or anything along the lines of you not losing all your gear upon death it is immediately followed by rage from the red community.

They are so blind, they just want easy kills not realizing that by having it "their way" there will be no one left to kill but themselves, just like before the August steam release when the servers were empty and devoid of all PvE players because the reds pushed them all out.

I visually see in my head The Lion King when Scar takes over the pride lands and allows the hyenas in and they kill everything until nothing is left except them. The best analogy I can come up with for what is currently happening all over again.
  • Just make a PvE server with opt-in PvP. Yes, Trammel. Call me a Trammie if you want. I could care less. In fact, why not just make two servers and make one Felucca and let people travel between it. You know what will happen? 20+ years more for the game. How do I know? History. Just look at what happened when that change was made 20+ years ago for UO. It's still got official servers. It's still running. It's supported, and that's why it's still operating. You eliminate all the talk about PvP vs. PvE. You'll also see both servers thrive. And you know what? People will traverse over to Felucca for fights or for more rewards. And people in Trammel will opt-in when they want, if they want. Simple. Flame on.
    Zarwaddim said:

Just make a PvE server with opt-in PvP. Yes, Trammel. Call me a Trammie if you want. I could care less. In fact, why not just make two servers and make one Felucca and let people travel between it. You know what will happen? 20+ years more for the game. How do I know? History. Just look at what happened when that change was made 20+ years ago for UO. It's still got official servers. It's still running. It's supported, and that's why it's still operating. You eliminate all the talk about PvP vs. PvE. You'll also see both servers thrive. And you know what? People will traverse over to Felucca for fights or for more rewards. And people in Trammel will opt-in when they want, if they want. Simple. Flame on.

I have been asking for that since December. I don't CS has any interest in doing it sadly.
    I will freely admit I am a trammie also. But man, do not go in Discord and say that- the red players will jump all over you, and try to beat you down and make you look bad so that CS will not consider changing it.
  • beater07beater07 America
    They tried making care bear land already, it flopped.

Not enough people for two servers.
    There were more players before the pvp patch in December went into effect. They were just spread out among 3 servers.
  • If blues didnt think every red encounter would end in non-ressing dry looting more would play.
    The solution can be as complicated as you like - a complex bounty system that empowers anti-PKs would be best, but ultimately just making Escape Scrolls faster (interruptible & consumed regardless of success, and at a not insignificant cost) would give blues a sense that they have a chance not to engage in noncon PvP. This also makes PKing more of a challenge (having to keep Escape interrupted while killing) and thus PKs will value kills more highly.
    The trouble is Supreem has stated they're only interested in keeping existing players happy and not in trying to regain lost players.
    *cough* CoM
  • edited March 21
    The game is already dead, let it die and move onto the next best thing. The announcement of a paid DLC shows they are probably panicking in the midst of going bankrupt; to try to make an extra dollar. The game is still in early access: broken mechanics, littered with bugs let alone the new faction system is complete garbage. Whereas they just chased away 70% of their population. If I had to guess the playerbase just went from MAYBE 200 down to 50-60 if that during peak hours.
  • Plenty of players still online, new content looks great, happy to pay. I love this game, CS have made a game that’s out there and close to UO. We all need to stick with them, they do listen. It is hard trying to replicate the best game ever made ;)
  • RandymarshRandymarsh England
    edited March 21
    :)
  • edited April 9
    I cancelled my account today. It has everything to do with reds. The only time it's safe to go out and farm is in the middle of the night.

Pking is just out of control. The previous UO had enough of a player base and servers where it was player managed. Now, the pks run the area and make it so regular folks can't level.

Just not worth the extreme frustration.

Peace.
  • edited April 24
    The only thing you need to know about the state of the game can be found by visiting towns and checking names and guild tags. Many large, active guilds have quit. The only active guilds of any size right now are NITE, DOPE and HERO. DOPE has the largest population because many players who would not normally associate with toxic PKs have basically thrown in the towel and realized if they want to step foot in the DLC dungeon, the only way to do that safely is with a DOPE guild tag.

In the end, the game will suffer because the increasingly shrinking and toxic playerbase will drive away much needed paying customers. If Citadel is happy running an MMO for a guild of PKs, that is there decision and I will simply not pay another penny for this game.

How can this situation be turned around? The answer is that multiple playstyles need to be respected and accommodated. The original release of Aria had a protected dungeon. Is it really a big deal to have protected areas in the game? Is it a big deal to have PvE content for PvE focused players? Players are voting with their wallets and the result of this is the ever shrinking player population.
  • Might be a good idea to open community server admin development to all. Bringing in new people who want to build custom servers and so forth.
  • Aildrik said:

The only thing you need to know about the state of the game can be found by visiting towns and checking names and guild tags. Many large, active guilds have quit. The only active guilds of any size right now are NITE, DOPE and HERO. DOPE has the largest population because many players who would not normally associate with toxic PKs have basically thrown in the towel and realized if they want to step foot in the DLC dungeon, the only way to do that safely is with a DOPE guild tag.

In the end, the game will suffer because the increasingly shrinking and toxic playerbase will drive away much needed paying customers. If Citadel is happy running an MMO for a guild of PKs, that is there decision and I will simply not pay another penny for this game.

How can this situation be turned around? The answer is that multiple playstyles need to be respected and accommodated. The original release of Aria had a protected dungeon. Is it really a big deal to have protected areas in the game? Is it a big deal to have PvE content for PvE focused players? Players are voting with their wallets and the result of this is the ever shrinking player population.

Population is increasing. Loads more guilds than you noted, discord active as ever. I love this game! Still early access, once complete it’s going to be so good
  • edited April 26
    Show me proof of numbers increasing. Please list any guilds capable of running the new DLC dungeon, and I don't mean stepping foot inside I mean actually with enough players to clear the dungeon. One year ago you had multiple guilds that would have 20+ players online. The number of guilds like that now is zero.

Discord is a poor measurement of game health since if you look at the players actually communicating on a regular basis its about 50 people tops.

Please understand if you love the game, shilling is not going to help fix the game and bring in new players. Two things need to happen. First, the developers need to actually play the game and understand it from the perspective of a player. Second, realistic expectations need to be accepted by the devs. They built a new server just for Steam and had to waste probably weeks of development time to ultimately merge all US servers down to one. This game cannot handle more massive missteps like this.
    edited April 27
    Aildrik said:

Show me proof of numbers increasing. Please list any guilds capable of running the new DLC dungeon, and I don't mean stepping foot inside I mean actually with enough players to clear the dungeon. One year ago you had multiple guilds that would have 20+ players online. The number of guilds like that now is zero.

Discord is a poor measurement of game health since if you look at the players actually communicating on a regular basis its about 50 people tops.

Please understand if you love the game, shilling is not going to help fix the game and bring in new players. Two things need to happen. First, the developers need to actually play the game and understand it from the perspective of a player. Second, realistic expectations need to be accepted by the devs. They built a new server just for Steam and had to waste probably weeks of development time to ultimately merge all US servers down to one. This game cannot handle more massive missteps like this.

https://steamcharts.com/app/594770#7d

https://steamdb.info/app/594770/graphs/

They are indeed increasing, FYI.

I also have run Monolith a bunch in the last two weeks, Catacombs twice, and been in a couple of dungeons. Sure PKs show up, but if you run in a group normally your safe.
    Listen I know how you feel, I been there. But if you accept the game for what it is, and work with the mechanics instead of against them, you might find yourself having fun like everyone else.
  • edited April 27
    I hope P10 brings more players back, that is really all I can hope for at this point.
  • I started playing 2 weeks ago and I like the game very much. I create a craftsman (with a different name) because I have always liked such things. I see some people in the game. Yesterday my character without combat skills was killed by PK by surprise at the boundary of the starting city while felling trees.
    Pathetic.
    I don't know why the killer took my craft orders, but who will understand such people.
    I played UO for many years, then EVE Online. I also played on UO fan servers. Death from PK doesn't bother me. The bigger problem for me is the lack of craft recipes or little space in the bank. However, I saw how PK can destroy the game.
    When players are murdered everywhere, they usually do two things. They change the game or try to never have anything valuable with them. Both of these things are bad for the game. The first reduces the number of players, and the second destroys the craft.
    It seems to me that the best solution is to limit fights between players to specific places or wars between guilds. However, this requires creating something that will cause people to want to visit zones where they can die at the hands of players.
    A good test would be to create a new world only for PVE players. It would show how many people want to fight players. However, this would be separating the community, and therefore worse than separating zones into one where you can kill players and those where you can't do it
  • dirricvirrudirricvirru Fort Worth, TX
    edited April 28
    Tloluvin said:

I started playing 2 weeks ago and I like the game very much. I create a craftsman (with a different name) because I have always liked such things. I see some people in the game. Yesterday my character without combat skills was killed by PK by surprise at the boundary of the starting city while felling trees.
    Pathetic.
    I don't know why the killer took my craft orders, but who will understand such people.
    I played UO for many years, then EVE Online. I also played on UO fan servers. Death from PK doesn't bother me. The bigger problem for me is the lack of craft recipes or little space in the bank. However, I saw how PK can destroy the game.
    When players are murdered everywhere, they usually do two things. They change the game or try to never have anything valuable with them. Both of these things are bad for the game. The first reduces the number of players, and the second destroys the craft.
    It seems to me that the best solution is to limit fights between players to specific places or wars between guilds. However, this requires creating something that will cause people to want to visit zones where they can die at the hands of players.
    A good test would be to create a new world only for PVE players. It would show how many people want to fight players. However, this would be separating the community, and therefore worse than separating zones into one where you can kill players and those where you can't do it

At this point the game cant go through another rule change. Your idea is a version 1 of the game. People were bored and complained about having to go to pvp zones for end game mats. Most crafting skills you could get to around 80ish before having to get to pvp zones.

They went to a more pve friendly version after and caused a huge population loss. People had too easy of time getting everything and everyone quit or just were bored to begin with. There wasn't enough to do without the risk vs reward.

We are in ruleset 3.
  • The latest patch dark sorc destroyed the majority of the community servers by introducing tons of bugs the community server admins can't fix easily. Community server NOVUS Redux Closed its the only server I still occasionally played on. SO fuck this game. So the state of this game its FUCKED. dark Sorc DLC is the last quick cash grab before shuttering its doors. image