Mage build for PvP/PvE

I am looking for advice on a viable mage build for both PvP/PvE.
I have seen older posts from previous betas but nothing recent. Currently I am thinking of this build:

100 Channeling
100 Evocation
100 Magic Affinity
100 Manifestation
100 Slashing*
100 Light Armor Affinity*
*Is Light Armor and a melee skill worth it? Should I take Healing instead of one of them?

10 Str
10 Agi
50 Int
35 Con
35 Wis
10 WIll

Should I look for more Str or Agi if I take a melee wep skill or?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

Comments

• Brianlyp said:

I have seen older posts from previous betas but nothing recent. Currently I am thinking of this build:

100 Channeling
    100 Evocation
    100 Magic Affinity
    100 Manifestation
    100 Slashing*
    *Is Light Armor and a melee skill worth it? Should I take Healing instead of one of them?

10 Str
    10 Agi
    50 Int
    35 Con
    35 Wis
    10 WIll

Thank you!

Simply put to state PvP/PvE is too broad as there are variations to it so I'll cover both but at a Blue bias as you can PvE while red, most do it blue (assumption of mine). Your skills discussed below.

PvE solo, you'll really need the GM weapon skill to prevent damage by giving your opponent a 50% chance to hit rather than a >50% chance to hit. This benefit carries over to PvP as well that melee will have approximately half his hits land on you allowing you to survive longer. 100 points spent here improves longevity and can reduce the occurrence of interrupts by melee hits striking you. However, the 100 points spent in this way is NOT for offensive purposes as your 10 STR and 0 Vigor are not conducive to damage, so this is a purely defensive function, but a big one. I would keep it. Personally go with wrestling to have the stun provided you have the stamina to use it at least once.

Light armor mean that you are predispositions to get hit and rely on armor to reduce damage, it helps in PvE and PvP however, light armor will reduce your mana regeneration rate which will degrade the value of your 400 point investment in the magic related skills of your build. I don't recommend light armor in this build as 100 points will impact the overall effectiveness of 400 points.

The 400 mage related skills all work together and form the "purpose" of your build is as a mage first. Nothing to change here if you want to be a mage first. However, you do have some room to decrease part of this build to include other secondary functions you may find useful.

1) Remove light armor gives you 100 points, put towards 60 healing. You have 40 points left.

2) Reduce either A)10 manifestation and 10 weapon skill or B)20 weapon skill, or C)20 manifestation, or D) a combination but up to 20 points of channeling. I would recommend going with either choice A or B and not C as you are a mage. You will now have 60 points left.

3) Increase Vigor to 60.

4) You now have 60 healing and vigor enough to cure and heal through poison. Poison is a common first strike in PvP as it persists in battle damaging, degrading healing capacity, and providing opportunities to interrupt your casting if not dealt with, you now have a solution to this that doesn't consume mana or precious casting time that would leave you immobilized and an easy target.

As far as stats go, 50 int all the way, max that mana pool out. You will run out of mana often, but will have a large pool to begin with. The decision you make in step 1 above is based on your personal needs, you basically can't have everything ideal and must make a choice.

I recommend 40 con and 30 wis. Most players recommend 10 wis as it is RNG if the points invested in WIS even function, but when it does its worth it. It is a gamble either way but ultimately survivability is improved with higher wis. 35c/35wi isn't bad but its an assumption. There is always 50 con 20 wis, or even 50 con 10 wis and 20 agi for more stamina to stun with.

Hope this helps, and don't think too much about it as there is no 100% correct choice as the skill/stat caps force you to commit one way or another. The key is not to spread out too thin, you'll need multiple characters to experience the skills at their fullest capacity.
  • BrianlypBrianlyp United States
    Thanks for the reply and advice! I appreciate it!
  • Hikaru said:

Brianlyp said:

100 Channeling
    100 Evocation
    100 Magic Affinity
    100 Manifestation
    100 Slashing*

10 Str
    10 Agi
    50 Int
    35 Con
    35 Wis
    10 WIll

Thank you!

Simply put to state PvP/PvE is too broad as there are variations to it so I'll cover both but at a Blue bias as you can PvE while red, most do it blue (assumption of mine). Your skills discussed below.

PvE solo, you'll really need the GM weapon skill to prevent damage by giving your opponent a 50% chance to hit rather than a >50% chance to hit. This benefit carries over to PvP as well that melee will have approximately half his hits land on you allowing you to survive longer. 100 points spent here improves longevity and can reduce the occurrence of interrupts by melee hits striking you. However, the 100 points spent in this way is NOT for offensive purposes as your 10 STR and 0 Vigor are not conducive to damage, so this is a purely defensive function, but a big one. I would keep it. Personally go with wrestling to have the stun provided you have the stamina to use it at least once.

Light armor mean that you are predispositions to get hit and rely on armor to reduce damage, it helps in PvE and PvP however, light armor will reduce your mana regeneration rate which will degrade the value of your 400 point investment in the magic related skills of your build. I don't recommend light armor in this build as 100 points will impact the overall effectiveness of 400 points.

The 400 mage related skills all work together and form the "purpose" of your build is as a mage first. Nothing to change here if you want to be a mage first. However, you do have some room to decrease part of this build to include other secondary functions you may find useful.

1) Remove light armor gives you 100 points, put towards 60 healing. You have 40 points left.

2) Reduce either A)10 manifestation and 10 weapon skill or B)20 weapon skill, or C)20 manifestation, or D) a combination but up to 20 points of channeling. I would recommend going with either choice A or B and not C as you are a mage. You will now have 60 points left.

3) Increase Vigor to 60.

4) You now have 60 healing and vigor enough to cure and heal through poison. Poison is a common first strike in PvP as it persists in battle damaging, degrading healing capacity, and providing opportunities to interrupt your casting if not dealt with, you now have a solution to this that doesn't consume mana or precious casting time that would leave you immobilized and an easy target.

As far as stats go, 50 int all the way, max that mana pool out. You will run out of mana often, but will have a large pool to begin with. The decision you make in step 1 above is based on your personal needs, you basically can't have everything ideal and must make a choice.

I recommend 40 con and 30 wis. Most players recommend 10 wis as it is RNG if the points invested in WIS even function, but when it does its worth it. It is a gamble either way but ultimately survivability is improved with higher wis. 35c/35wi isn't bad but its an assumption. There is always 50 con 20 wis, or even 50 con 10 wis and 20 agi for more stamina to stun with.

Hope this helps, and don't think too much about it as there is no 100% correct choice as the skill/stat caps force you to commit one way or another. The key is not to spread out too thin, you'll need multiple characters to experience the skills at their fullest capacity.
    you have to apologize me, i don't speak very well english so i have a question : can you tipe me a build for a pve mage? or also tamer/mage if possible? with also stats??
    i say you thank you before
  • Otello,
    Sure, I'm no expert but here it goes.

PvE, focus on avoiding all PvP encounters, if you see red you need to run, don't try to fight. This isn't for fighting players at all, simply maximizing survival in PvE. You cannot truly build a PvP proof build because you can be ganked at any time. Gank is when you have no way to win, either out numbered or out gunned, you are 100% not winning, there is no perfect solution to defend against a gank other than always bring more friends that know what they are doing... but that isn't practical. so on with the builds.

Stats
    40 STR
    10 AGI
    30 INT
    50 CON
    10 WIS
    10 WIL

STR: Auto attack is the way to go for PvE, if you are competing with other player(s) they are either going to be equal in number and power, lesser in numbers and power, or greater in numbers and power, basically 2/3 of the time you have no advantage, so you might as well play for consistency and rely on strong auto attack hits and less on ability based damage, this also removes all need for skill books which require stamina to use anyways.

AGI: Remove reliance on skill book acquisition and burst damage from weapon or book abilities. When you wear heavy armor the dex modifiers will not reduce your AGI below 10.

INT: Enough mana to heal. Without a channeling this is for ranged or emergency heal, not sustained. Can move around quickly with portal.

CON: Max 600 HP.

WIS: Due to RNG and most enemies using melee attack you might as well go for the definitive HP gain granted by CON increases. If you don't plan on getting 30+ WIS don't bother with WIS.

WIL: Same thing as WIS but this helps with RNG to resist stun.. HP gain is definitive. They should have had WIS and WIL give incremental guaranteed mitigation not chance.

Skills
    100 Blocking
    100 Heavy Armor
    100 Healing
    100 Vigor
    100 Slashing
    100 Manifestation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tamer
    Keep your distance and keep moving, let the animals do the work.

Stats
    10 STR
    10 AGI
    40 INT
    40 CON
    40 WIS
    10 WIL

STR/AGI: You aren't using weapons to attack, purely defensive to prevent getting hit as often.

INT: Cast more heals.

CON: You'll be targeted first, kill the driver and the animals aren't worthless.

WIS: Help resist magic chance since you will be focused.

WIL: If they engage you with weapons your dead anyways whether or not your stunned.

Skills
    100 Animal Lore
    100 Animal Taming
    100 Beastmastery
    100 Bashing (equip crook)
    80 Manifestation
    70 Evocation
    50 Channeling

The 100 Bashing while equipping crook is purely defensive, gets your chance to be hit by another GM to 50% (granted all things equal, usually not the case). Otherwise healing magic, poison, and firewall are your friends in PvE. You can use bandage healing and slowly remove it as you progress through the build to supplement progress during development.

• Hey Hikaru,

but you know that you can wear your spellbook and get your evasion chance from evocation that you dont need bashing? Would save some points when you will use bashing only for defense. ;)
  • HikaruHikaru USA
    edited February 8
    Zargan said:

Hey Hikaru,

but you know that you can wear your spellbook and get your evasion chance from evocation that you dont need bashing? Would save some points when you will use bashing only for defense. ;)

I don't believe this is implemented yet. If so you are correct, if not this is why brawling is there.