Explaining emotional Frustration I get regarding Forum Post pushing agains Non-Consensual Gameplay

edited January 16 in PvP Discussion
Hi all.

I would like to share the frustration and history behind Gamers like me and players who feel alike reading the Forum Posts.

Since i have been a Gamer i remember dreaming of one day seeing players being able to play at the same time on one Gaming World - that is like a D&D World or Pen & Paper World.
That had been before the Internet.
I very well remember back then when i did stumble over a game called UO.
I did back was stunned that the time had finally arrived for a "secondary World" - a Game World i could enjoy besides my real life to have Adventures and experience Dangers and Challenges in a Game i could not in real life.

The creators of UO did what i have done - create a Game that provides freedom to play all roles - like Roleplaying Pen & Papers Games do. And to have the freedom to be good or evil.

We all know it changed fast.

Why - I was a Minority in the Game Style i was looking for. I was confronted with the Truth - The Majority of Gamers do not want Confrontation with other real players, or other Gamers being able to influence the own Gameplay.
They do not like Adrenaline or Stressful Situations.
The Majority is one factor i had to give in. But also the Money - Game Developers want to make a living out of the Games they create and at the end - this is the pushing argument that will always create the same style of MMO Games. For the sake of profit.

Last but not least i can even read books of experienced MMO Developers, for example Ralph Costers books not supporting truly the idea of non consensual Games every having a chance.
But what is interesting is that they also agree that the purity and beauty of a Game is also destroyed the moment a Game becomes consensual.

And also i did read that if you look at Gamers talking about memories they have of UO - you will mainly see them talking about the non consensual situations, or the "extreme" situations. The situations only a non consensual world is able to provide. Look up Youtube - look for Gaming Memories - you will find majorly the Times before Trammel did come people talk about.

Back to topic:

So this means the chances are very slim and rare for my Game Style to ever get a MMO World i would like.

I think we all can agree that because of Game Companies trying to reduce risk of loss , what i understand - we had been confronted over the last 20 years will a major copy paste of Game Worlds - but also a major copy paste of the target Audience.

I had to watch it over and over - UO changed back then.
I remember Everquest having at first - Loot at least one Item - complains did come - it was removed.
I remember purchasing Everquest 2 and running with my Elf to the bad Orcs just to find out - i can´t attack them.
It is full PvE.
I remember DAOC Camelot being the only Game that somehow did provide a world for all types - As the 3 Realms fighting against each other had a Endgame that did not conflict to much with PvE Players idea - and the feeling of representing your Realm did unify PvP and PvE players.
And of course countless WoW Clones.
But i never got this MMO World that suited my personal Playstyle. Because at the end this would mean a Game Developer agreeing with this Idea would need to make a non profit Game.

I did notice also often that Game Developers tend to announce at first that they will create a Game with non-consensual Gameplay and Full Loot - so they lure us Gamers in and then at the end push back from it already owning my money.

So here i am playing Legends of Aria.

I could copy paste Descriptions and the Vision of the Game. I could copy paste words i had been reading about LOA about "Permadeath" and "Hardcore" and truly a Game stating to go a direction that will not be for the majority of Gamers - a Game that will be for Niche type of Gamers - one that will have Risk, Set Backs and yes - NON CONSENSUAL PvP.

So i go to the Forums and i see again the same as always - a Majority pushing against this Base Concept. Often they try not to make it to ovious - as they are aware how the Game was announced - so they say : add more PvE EndGame so we all have something of the Game.

But to tell you the truth - that does not work. Will never work.

It will be either a Non Consensual Game or not. Both does not work.

So all i am doing is waiting - i am waiting to see how our Developer and Lead Designer is positioning himself.

Because at current state no post i can see , what gives me hope, to move away from how the Game is set Up.

But truly the Forces of Consensual Gameplay are back and doing what of course i understand they will do:
Pushing the next MMO again into becoming a MMO like all have been.

I feel like either i become a huge rich person who can make a non profit MMO or pay a Developer to create one or i will have to accept the inevitable again - LOA will get more and more pressure and us the minority will have to move on defeated again.

My personal wish is the following: A Developer Statement regarding the future of the Game in perspective of its current non consensual vs consensual Position.
A Statement saying - we will not move away from our Game Vision and build upon a Niche Market. Or just informing us all that we can expect it to change.

Even if they start adding PvE Servers will mean the End of it. Because only if you stick to one type of Server the idea of the Game World i am looking or has a chance.
The moment they provide 2 options it is over.

Take Care.

Comments

• SanakSanak United States
    Tldr?
  • AnastasiusAnastasius Holeindawood
    Sanak said:

Tldr?

I did read it. If you cant handle dat amount of words you are obviously in the wrong place. Maybe switch to discord o.s.e. ^^

Btt: LoA was startet as a shard-drivin-game and this idea is still the framework. So i dont get it. oO If you want pure pve, hop on a pupblic pve-shard. If u want pure pvp, go to the pvp-shard. Me f.e, is loockin for a rp-shard with a rich lore, guarded areas provided only by guilds and a adult playerbase with the promise of years. not a wait for the next game.
    These 3 "official" servers are imho for newbies, who want to see, what the game have to offer in generally. Citadel is or should be a admin for the login and ofc to maintain the technically quality of the game. The rest is RPG and in our responsibility.

Sry for my bad english. :/
  • edited January 16
    Myrcello said:

Hi all.

The creators of UO did what i have done - create a Game that provides freedom to play all roles - like Roleplaying Pen & Papers Games do. And to have the freedom to be good or evil.

Yes, i agree with "freedom to play all roles". Which includes a crafter does not have to be a fighter, and a fighter does not have to be a crafter. And the games change because crafters dont want forced pvp.....Especially if there set up in a little cage.
  • ColitasColitas Türkiye
    Hey dude,

i wrote something in bug topic but someone delete them. i will write again i hope this time someone will not delete..

First of all the game has many bug. its not ready. items can ben disappear in your bag and you can not take back. all of money ( like mine ) can be disapper and the staff said only cant take back..

This is very bad for the online game. wasted hours, wasted labor..

and the game dynamic.. its not work. a few days later this game release in the steam and people will buy for the playing a fantasy world like a real one. and they will be frusturated like me.

dynamic is not work. all armor has same def rating. why you try to find some ore ? or beast leather or something.. naked armor 45, with mage robe 50, leather set 50 bla bla bla... lol...

this world has no need a craft char no need bs, fabrication or something ah soory i forgot the tea table we need craft coz need tea table on our house..

and stat editing.. whats the matrix ? you think about a warior. this character need str for damage, need agility for weapon speed, need hit point need stun protection and need spell protection..

And mage need only int and hit point. int gives spell damage bonus + mana...

now in the open world pvp mage is the king. their the only shortcoming .kill command.

think about the pvp for melee class..

Melee miss rate about %30 - 35, mage fizz rate about % 10-15 ( gm skill same ).

Parry not work...

Mage begin combat with a spell ( you cast and keep spell in your hand ) but melee must be wait weapons speed time for the first attack .. This means 300 damage.. and alot of melee has 450..

Armor not work on spells..

Also this world created for only mage. Not need craft, tamer , melee or some other class..

i wasted 1 mounth and now has 95 taming. now i am on frost.. because all rare pet has 4 slot. wyrm 4 slot and wyrm damages same mages energy bolts.. only 1 wyrm spawn ( i use wyrm for sample because its the strongest beast in the world.. ) in world and 2 times in a day.. all tamers here and all guild wars here.. :)

if you tame the wyrm nightmare begins.. you cant go to a dungeon with wyrm coz if your wyrm die, you cant resurrect it.. because you cant move in a dungeon alone, you must take a new beast for the move and resurrect your beast but all of beast take 4 slot. if you resurrect your pet with your pet slot full, your beast will not listen your command.. :) How is ?

All of this world dynamics created for mages comphort.. players cant spell resist, mage and melee has same armor not need any craft character not need any different class..

Mege best in the dungeon, in pvp also if their item will not disappear on the bag.

on the other hand dont worry about dying with mage because your lost only reagent ( value 40-50 silver ) and 1 silver mage robe ( Whereas dont need mage robe its only 5 armor.. you can play naked.. ) if other class die their lost 1 week labor..

i opened mage like other ppl but my mod fell down. items disappear and staff said cant take back, some skill not working or not functional, no rune book always run.

The players want justice, we know never all class cant equal but now has a big different and big bugs in this game.

Classes other than mage dont work, not need.

Staff must be solved this problems. but they do nothing..

And if they need money for solve this problems please want monthly fee like other quality mmorpg and solve them all. because we want to service. if some items disappear in my bag and i sent the page, i dont want to hear we cant give back. i want to hear we look at the log and turn back them and fix this bug.

also i spent my 1 month for tame and i tame it finally, it must be higher damage ( i am waiting and fighting 4 -5 days for tame ) than mages energy bolt ( its level 6 spell ). i dont want to lost it if die in dungeons downstairs..

Sorry for my gramer mistakes but i hope every one understand what i am trying to tell..

its not about die and loot, its about one side lost 15 min labor and otherslost 1 weeks labor. and 1 weeks ppl not any chance for the kill otherside...

Best regards..
  • NefariousNefarious Community Server Admin and Subreddit Mod
    If they didn’t herd miners into little caves like fish in a barrel, most of the complaining would stop. It’s just a gank fest. PKers just roll from mine to mine.

To combat this problem, make rare ores like gold, cobalt, obsidian spawn in the world (in unprotected zones). The risk is still there to be killed, but it’s not a one sided gank fest. The PKs would have to hunt for the miners, so they’ll either put in some effort, or give up and go after players with combat skills. Another option is the make players with no combat skills unattackable (yes I made that word up) so that players who only wish to craft can play how they like, without other players ruining their precious couple hours of gameplay.

At some point something has to give. PVE players will end up leaving. I hear people say, “There’s a PVE community server.” So? How long will that last? What if they run out of money, or get bored, or stop maintaining? People (most people) want the promise of a company run server that isn’t going anywhere. With community servers, there is no promise that your hard work will still be there in a month.

I would play an official PVE server, but that’s not what I personally am asking for. Myself and many many others are just asking for mining rare ore nodes outside of caves, in the PvP zones, so we can be killed but not be sitting ducks. If you have say mining and blacksmithing, then you don’t have enough skills left to make a solid fighter. So fighting back is rarely an option against a pk with 6gm combat skills, plus prestige abilities.
  • Well yes it is a gank fest, maybe spreading rare ores across the map will help, but on the other hand players are creating content here too. Why not to make stealthers and camp caves for PKers?

Well ok, at this state I guess it's not worth it since everyone running around naked and armor means nothing. But anyway, think about it

And @Lesa crafters does not have to be gatherers.
  • Myrcello said:

So i go to the Forums and i see again the same as always - a Majority pushing against this Base Concept. Often they try not to make it to ovious - as they are aware how the Game was announced - so they say : add more PvE EndGame so we all have something of the Game.

How would more PvE content destroy PvP? I am all for a lot more (if possible interesting/challenging) PvE content in the wilderness. I dont see how i.e. the new announced dungeon layouts can be a bad thing.
  • OP should be a politician with all the flowery language.

You're essentially saying "real Gamers" are the ones that want non-consensual combat. This implies that they will leave without it. However, OP also implies that a PVE server addition would kill the game, likely owing to "non-gamers," or what we often call "casuals," leaving the primary servers to go to the PVE server.

What you have essentially outlined is this:

"I like to gank people. The majority of people don't like it. If you give them a server that doesn't allow constant ganking, they will leave my server, and I will have no one to gank. The majority of players don't like what I do, and every other company has recognized this in the past. Player behavior and feedback toward me proves this."

My thoughts:

The market from 20 years of MMO data proves a few things. The majority of players enjoy a mix of PvP and PvE. The majority of Players, and their money, leave without engaging PvE being available, and if non-consensual combat greatly impacts their ability to engage in PvE and the economy. In other words, THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT ENJOY A GANKFEST ARE GANKERS. Yes, there is a niche market for that, but the poor financial flow from such an environment would not allow for substantial game development.

Face the facts. You need filthy casuals more than they need you. Games like LOA will fail if they cater towards you. I respect a GM Blacksmith more than some lunatic 12 year old with a kryss out there killing miners.

If content is a joke and PvP is all you want, go play League of Legends.

The solution is simple and has been done for years. Different servers with different rulesets. All you "real gamers" can hang out together and play with your willies all day. But you say that won't work... the server will die. Why is that? Think it through one more time.
  • BoeserBub said:

Myrcello said:

How would more PvE content destroy PvP? I am all for a lot more (if possible interesting/challenging) PvE content in the wilderness. I dont see how i.e. the new announced dungeon layouts can be a bad thing.
    If you are requesting more PvE Endgame content in the wilderness like you say - I totally agree with you - it will be in line of how this Game was sold.

Bu if you would decide to make all Endgame Content available in both - the Guarded Zones just as in the Wilderness then the "Core Game Set up" is destroyed. Then the Karma System, The Full Loot, the Bounty System that is supposed to come in place, the different Areas from Town, Guarded, Wilderness become meaningless.

Then you do not need to take a risk for getting the best resources or loot rewards. Then you are just plain dumm if you go into the wilderness - as you can get all more easy and save in the Guarded Areas.

I do agree on Mining Request - spread the areas more up.
    I do not experience the issues of PK in Mines on the EU Server at all. But i cant speak for the other Servers.

But on the EU Servers PK are a rare occasion in the Breca Mines for sure.

• edited January 16
    Balor said:

OP should be a politician with all the flowery language.

You're essentially saying "real Gamers" are the ones that want non-consensual combat. This implies that they will leave without it. However, OP also implies that a PVE server addition would kill the game, likely owing to "non-gamers," or what we often call "casuals," leaving the primary servers to go to the PVE server.

What you have essentially outlined is this:

"I like to gank people. The majority of people don't like it. If you give them a server that doesn't allow constant ganking, they will leave my server, and I will have no one to gank. The majority of players don't like what I do, and every other company has recognized this in the past. Player behavior and feedback toward me proves this."

My thoughts:

The market from 20 years of MMO data proves a few things. The majority of players enjoy a mix of PvP and PvE. The majority of Players, and their money, leave without engaging PvE being available, and if non-consensual combat greatly impacts their ability to engage in PvE and the economy. In other words, THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT ENJOY A GANKFEST ARE GANKERS. Yes, there is a niche market for that, but the poor financial flow from such an environment would not allow for substantial game development.

Face the facts. You need filthy casuals more than they need you. Games like LOA will fail if they cater towards you. I respect a GM Blacksmith more than some lunatic 12 year old with a kryss out there killing miners.

If content is a joke and PvP is all you want, go play League of Legends.

The solution is simple and has been done for years. Different servers with different rulesets. All you "real gamers" can hang out together and play with your willies all day. But you say that won't work... the server will die. Why is that? Think it through one more time.

You are totally taking my complete post out of context. And then you make assumptions about my intent and placing them with a "essentially" meaning.

All i can recommend for others reading is to go back and read my first post and then look at this response and wonder what the hell he is talking about. Not even sure what the argument is he has with me.

I do not know it.

• Nefarious said:

If they didn’t herd miners into little caves like fish in a barrel, most of the complaining would stop. It’s just a gank fest. PKers just roll from mine to mine.

To combat this problem, make rare ores like gold, cobalt, obsidian spawn in the world (in unprotected zones). The risk is still there to be killed, but it’s not a one sided gank fest. The PKs would have to hunt for the miners, so they’ll either put in some effort, or give up and go after players with combat skills. Another option is the make players with no combat skills unattackable (yes I made that word up) so that players who only wish to craft can play how they like, without other players ruining their precious couple hours of gameplay.

At some point something has to give. PVE players will end up leaving. I hear people say, “There’s a PVE community server.” So? How long will that last? What if they run out of money, or get bored, or stop maintaining? People (most people) want the promise of a company run server that isn’t going anywhere. With community servers, there is no promise that your hard work will still be there in a month.

I would play an official PVE server, but that’s not what I personally am asking for. Myself and many many others are just asking for mining rare ore nodes outside of caves, in the PvP zones, so we can be killed but not be sitting ducks. If you have say mining and blacksmithing, then you don’t have enough skills left to make a solid fighter. So fighting back is rarely an option against a pk with 6gm combat skills, plus prestige abilities.

I agree with you on the Miners complain of to focused locations.
  • Myrcello said:

Nefarious said:

I agree with you on the Miners complain of to focused locations.
    All i can share is my own experience of gathering since release up to 50 Gold of worth in Breca Mines vs only 3 PK attacks.
    So i presume this is not a EU Server Problem
  • I went from 0-gm smithing and mining. I died to other players twice. I think this is more than acceptable. (was done on azure sky by the way)
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    You can't have a real sandbox living world without permanent death.
    If all that can happen to you when you act evil is losing a few minutes to ressurect and get new stuff, then most of the people behave like violent maniacs attacking and stealing (in this game PK is stealing, not killing).
    Players would only fear to gank, act stupidly or mess with someone if they can die.
  • Sacha said:

You can't have a real sandbox living world without permanent death.
    If all that can happen to you when you act evil is losing a few minutes to ressurect and get new stuff, then most of the people behave like violent maniacs attacking and stealing (in this game PK is stealing, not killing).
    Players would only fear to gank, act stupidly or mess with someone if they can die.

And a expanding out time per Death?
    Stat loss, out time or jail are lesser solutions, and as such, they work, only at a lesser extent.
  • edited January 18
    Too much time on your hands... Learn to be brief and to the point. The same sentiment could be expressed with half the words. Kind of reminds me of people who blather on and on because they like the sound of their own voice.
  • edited January 19
    Grex said:

Too much time on your hands... Learn to be brief and to the point. The same sentiment could be expressed with half the words. Kind of reminds me of people who blather on and on because they like the sound of their own voice.

You remind me of a person with a lot of insecurity who needs to lecture others to distract from it.

Watch Momo.
    Great Guide for people with time problems like yourself:

• Spare me your life story, thank you.
  • The problem for me is that the survivable mechanics are virtually unbalanced or non-existent. Make Brawling a factor to avoid interrupt like in UO and/or have the Escape Scroll casting time MAX 2 seconds. At least this way peeps have to consider alternating their build or factor if a 4 silver scroll is worth the investment.

Speaking from the business side of things, the largest crowds will gather on official servers unless the player run PVE shards have extremely good personal servers and will maintenance it around the clock to avoid DoS attacks, etc. This company will lose appeal fast if these things aren't fixed.

UO went through the same struggle which eventually resulted in Trammel and Felucca, which for those of us who have played this, know where that all went.

The most improved PVE/PVP model I have ever experienced and seems to retain and even attract new players consistently is UOF (Ultima Online Forever), a player run client. They took a custom vanilla version approach to UO and I couldnt tell you how much the risk/reward factors were so much better in this game compared to others. If LOA can figure something close to what UOF does, it would crush the market.
  • AlexP said:

The problem for me is that the survivable mechanics are virtually unbalanced or non-existent. Make Brawling a factor to avoid interrupt like in UO and/or have the Escape Scroll casting time MAX 2 seconds. At least this way peeps have to consider alternating their build or factor if a 4 silver scroll is worth the investment.

Speaking from the business side of things, the largest crowds will gather on official servers unless the player run PVE shards have extremely good personal servers and will maintenance it around the clock to avoid DoS attacks, etc. This company will lose appeal fast if these things aren't fixed.

UO went through the same struggle which eventually resulted in Trammel and Felucca, which for those of us who have played this, know where that all went.

The most improved PVE/PVP model I have ever experienced and seems to retain and even attract new players consistently is UOF (Ultima Online Forever), a player run client. They took a custom vanilla version approach to UO and I couldnt tell you how much the risk/reward factors were so much better in this game compared to others. If LOA can figure something close to what UOF does, it would crush the market.

I can agree 100% with what you say. UOF actually did a fantastic job. I havent played it in forever, even forgot all about it.
  • Couple of points:

1: Non-consent PvP doesn't exist. If you join a PvP game, you're giving consent.

2: Legends of Aria is designed to be moddable and to support community servers. That means you can have a hardcore server (1) and you can have a carebear server (2) and you can have something in-between.

3: Most of the people who complain about PvP on the main forum didn't read the box before purchasing the game.

Extensive progression in a game that features open world PvP is stupid, IMHO, and it has never worked well. The only people who do well with it are the veterans who join early and get to GM their skills before hoards of PKs become a huge problem. That said, if you bought the game not expecting ganksquads then consider this your first lesson in how games work.

NOTES
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: The term 'hardcore' is meaningless - PacMan had no safe zones and permanent death so it was more hardcore than this game by a longshot. People who use the term 'hardcore' are silly.

2: The term 'carebear' is also meaningless.
  • Jerboa said:

Couple of points:

1: Non-consent PvP doesn't exist. If you join a PvP game, you're giving consent.

Legends of Aria promotes a game that lets us play the way we want to play:

Legends of Aria web page promotion:

"Legends of Aria returns to a true skill based system. Build your character YOUR WAY hone your skills through use and play YOUR WAY with a choice of 32 unique skills.

• Lesa said:

Jerboa said:

Couple of points:

"Legends of Aria returns to a true skill based system. Build your character YOUR WAY hone your skills through use and play YOUR WAY with a choice of 32 unique skills.

That is only part of the description. sigh

But you are correct. That they say aslo. But please do not leave out the rest.

It is like orderinga Pizza with Salami and Peperoni.

You only mention the Salami ignoring that i am talking about the Peperoni.

• But hey.

Just all keep crying. But please stop purchasing a Game of Chess and change it always to a Checkers Game.

Gets kind of boring after 20 years of Gaming experience.

How about sometimes just purchase the Checkers Game from the start and leave a little niche world for Gamers with other taste.

• God the horrors of Google Translate (or whatever you cut/paste into to translate).
  • Myrcello said:

You are totally taking my complete post out of context. And then you make assumptions about my intent and placing them with a "essentially" meaning.

All i can recommend for others reading is to go back and read my first post and then look at this response and wonder what the hell he is talking about. Not even sure what the argument is he has with me.

I do not know it.

The problem is you need Google Translate to translate your Google Translate. :)
  • Zarwaddim said:

Myrcello said:

I do not know it.

The problem is you need Google Translate to translate your Google Translate. :)
    I am native German - and i think i am doing a decent job with my english.

How about you write in German your next Post?

Thank you
  • Lesa said:

Jerboa said:

Couple of points:

1: Join a community PvE server. The option to play that way is there for you; whereas, the option to join a PvP server and force others to play the way you want to play isn't offered.

2: The game does allow you to build your character the way you want to build your character. You can also play your way, which based on your choices, seems to be dying repeatedly to PKs. It is an odd choice, but your choice nonetheless.

What "YOUR WAY" doesn't mean is that people who go against the ruleset on a server or who do silly things will somehow be able to change everyone else's experience (you know, the people who read the box before buying the game). For example, if you decide to define "YOUR WAY" as "raising taming to GM by taming rabbits in the town square", well, that just isn't going to happen.

So no, "YOUR WAY" isn't a shopping spree on the home network. Ya still have to think a little bit.

Jerboa said:

1: Join a community PvE server. The option to play that way is there for you; whereas, the option to join a PvP server and force others to play the way you want to play isn't offered.

It is. You can create custom servers with full PvP as well as only PvE. It's an easy change.
    None of the actual community admins has gone that way (guess why) but you can do it.