Ability Books Perspective from a New Player

Hello all!
I started playing a week or so ago. Loved my time on the game. Really brought me back to the good ole UO days...
I've met some awesome people and get to play with my friends but....
While out and about I run into pk's all the time. I love that! Except, they have ability books and I don't.
Makes a HUGE difference. I've got little to no chance since I don't have any abilities (currently I'm 4 GM & 2 skills 95+ with 500+ hp and some resists). I've asked around to find out where I can find some ability books only to hear that they nerfed the drop rates right before I got the game...
and to buy some ridiculously overpriced ability books off people who got them when they were easy to acquire...
So... All new folks or people who didn't farm those spots are SoL?
Does this mean I should just stop playing until they make some new servers so it can be even for everyone?
Wall of text/rant over.
Ty!

Comments

• Welcome to the land of frustration bud. So many exploits, abuses, and nerfs to stuff like this I can't even count.. Makes anyone starting the game now at a HUGE disadvantage!
  • muzachmtmuzachmt United States
    Yes, pray for a new server. I've been playing since day 1 of the official-no more wipes-headstart and even before the nerf, books weren't exactly easy to obtain. Now the economy is so far from repair, that even 6+ hours a day of grinding profitable pve areas doesn't allow me to buy the books needed to be competitive in PVP. Not to mention that you need to travel with 10+ people to have any safety, as reds travel in groups and will 10,15,20v1 you without an ounce of care.
  • I have to agree with the OP. I started on the 1/1/19 . I am curently looking at 100g needed to get the ability's i need for my mage. The shops where i can find the books are all near starting graveyards and have bags full of books.

It was explained to me that they droped in the early days in the starting areas.

I died to pk's so fast i had to ask one how he can kill me so fast. He told me, I can store a spell and precast a spell, he then told me the ability he used to do this was droped on his second day.

If there wont be a wipe then i really look forward to a new EU server, else i dont see new players staying long due to the massive disadvantage this causes. not to mention the inability to place a home without venturing into the red zones.
  • Yup. Books shouldn't be scarse like this as it's essential in leveling the playing field. Other interesting drops should replace books so the rewards are still in place.
  • HawkshieldHawkshield United States
    Training should be done from the trainer and THAT should be the gold sink, not having your progress depend on others
  • Yupeveryone with a brain could see this happening. Hint to developers: U need to lvl the playing field not widen it....Else ppl will just be sitting ducks and not leave guard zones or leave the game and all the competetive red ppl will roam the lands for ages finding nothing and no good fights. Then theyll start dueling and eventually get bored and leave too.... This happened to SO many pvp games.

Make ability books buayable from ability points like they were supposed too as u alrdy grinded up to get em. Abilites are so important and should not be endgame goals but easier to obtain. Endgame should be resources dropping from bosses, dungeons.

And for the love of god- FIX ARMOR!!!!!!!!! Why would i ever were 3 heave armor pieces???
  • FallenStarFallenStar Verdantearth
    I agree the book drops need to be adjusted but most experiences I have with pvp is either a 1v1 where the red gets bored beacuse the fight drags out way to long and leaves or i ganked by 2 or 3 guys and I don't have any books. Just my 2 cents
  • HawkshieldHawkshield United States
    On one toon, I have like 45 points built up. Can't do anything with them though, I'm not going to buy a skill book for 15 gold, let alone 5
  • edited January 14
    Want to support this further.
    People want to sell me Abilities up to 80 gold.
    Seriously.
    I completely stopped to pvp because of no books.
    Those who have them are lucky, those who are able to get them are lucky too.
    I dont have a ghost sitting there to camp spots if a blue zerg is trying. And i think that's not the was to play it.
    Btw some Blue guilds come with their red's to make sure only their member get books.
    So if the cause to redesign this was highlevel killsteal on the lowlevel bosses then now we have the same Situation as for dropping books at Dungeon Bosses.
    Big zerg guilds do territory control, hinder others from getting on an even playingfield and or selling books for ridiculous prices.
    Recently got an offer for spellchamber for 12g.
    It's a skillevel 40 Ability and should be available on skill levels 40 to 60 maybe to build your archetype.
    Who is willing to grind 12 gold at these levels to play the archetype he choosed?

Abilities need to be available to all players easily.
    Earn the points and give us these books.

It's the only concern i have about this game actually.
  • For me it's fine with those item drops, but i see it stupid that part of players obtained them when they were dropping from mobs...
  • edited January 14
    Deepnined said:

For me it's fine with those item drops, but i see it stupid that part of players obtained them when they were dropping from mobs...

So how do you get books?
    I have 2 options
    1. Join a zerg if they let you and be lucky. And camp spots for hours to know when the zerg is around.
    2. grind gold for weeks and pay lucky sellers.
    I wont pay more than a gold per ability. Need an hour to get 1 gold and wont grind 12 hours for a skill level 40 abitiy.

Both are nothing i have fun with or want to do mainly, so to play my archetype i have no other option, but then i maybe refuse playing at all.
    I dont want to complain, but i want to give feedback.
    The way it is and the prices for books drive me away.

If someone has a solution or hint if i miss something, let me know.
  • Yep, those would be the only 2 options. I'm fine with that. btw I haven't got any of those books yet.

The only thing im not ok is, that this was not set already from release. Some players got those abilities fairly easy, but life is not fair in general. So i will suck it up and grind for them :)
  • Deepnined said:

Yep, those would be the only 2 options. I'm fine with that. btw I haven't got any of those books yet.

The only thing im not ok is, that this was not set already from release. Some players got those abilities fairly easy, but life is not fair in general. So i will suck it up and grind for them :)

EDIT: Where else I can spend that gold? :D gear is cheap as dirt..
  • +1 I'm also not bothering buying the books and i'm avoiding pvp untill it gets seeded more properly into the world. I'm not sitting on mountains of gold and also don't want to spend that much time grinding gold for a book. I like switching builds around, but the books make the investment too high for a build, as i don't want to buy new books for the build. Afaik you lose your spent books by overriding it with new abilities?
  • edited January 14

Training should be done from the trainer and THAT should be the gold sink, not having your progress depend on others

+1
    100% agree.

It would have been in the interest of the economy to make tiered skill books a money sink.

Example:

Tier 1 abilities: 1 gold + ability points
    Tier 2 abilities: 2 gold + ability points
    Tier 3 abilities: 3 gold + ability points.

Affordable to everyone as well as gets thousands of gold out of circulation.
  • +1 I'm also not bothering buying the books and i'm avoiding pvp untill it gets seeded more properly into the world. I'm not sitting on mountains of gold and also don't want to spend that much time grinding gold for a book. I like switching builds around, but the books make the investment too high for a build, as i don't want to buy new books for the build. Afaik you lose your spent books by overriding it with new abilities?

Yes, you do have to choose which skill to override. Thereby loosing any money spent on said book.
  • BollocksBollocks Austin TX
    Farming books solo was something I really enjoyed in the game early on. Still working on skill gains, gathering coin and regs, and hoping for a book drop. The Orc camp by Pyros Landing was my main spot. I loved seeing those red Goblin Captains spawn. The drop rate was very low, only got 3 books over many days, 1 or 2 hours a time, but it was fun and I hoped to get something I needed for my build. Sure, it was crowded sometimes, but people were pretty nice.

I can understand a GM mage(s) taking over a graveyard from new players was a problem. I was hoping instead of removing them from lower level champs, that maybe everyone who did damage to the creature would have a chance the book would drop into their bags. (Remember Doom in UO?)

I hope they find a solution to this, because people need their skills and should be available to all who put in time and effort.
  • Just copying my post from an other thread:

In closed Beta we had 3 Level of every skillbook. Therefore you felt the progress of your char early on because the books first Level was easy to get, but to get your Skills to Level 3 you had to kill serious stuff and they were very rare, which took a long time and kept you motivated.