Bored of getting PK´ed in the mines

Am I the only one growing sick of spending 2 hours mining for obsidian, only to get PK´ed with a snowballs chance in hell of defense?
I like the idea of mining being risky, and there being the chance of having to flee or fight. I dont think its fun to, see a red and be dead in a second, without any chance what so ever of hiding, running or even equipping a weapon though.
To the point where Im starting to think, you either only play this game for pvp, or quit out of frustration.
Is this a pvp only game, or am I just unlucky, to constantly run into the no life PVP´er, who can one shot you every time?
How do you defend yourself as a miner, or is it just a 50/50 chance to waste 2 hours every time you need more than copper?

Comments

• BlitzBlitz Canada
    The only way they can fix this is the make more spawns in the wilderness. Too few choke points. It's prime for PKs.
  • I’m about to head to the wilderness to start mining. So I know I’m going to get PKed for the first time very soon in this game. Kinda looking forward to it. Haha.

If you can go 2 hours before getting PKed, that sounds pretty good to me. I was planning on Hearthstoning out every 30 minutes. Probably won’t even bother with a pack animal since saddle bags are still a bit hard for me to make at the moment.

I don’t know much about PvP in this game yet. Is there any incentive to hunt PKer’s? I seem to remember in UO popular mining places and some security because PK hunters stayed by the miners waiting to fight the PKers that wanted to kill the easy miners.
  • @Blitz
    yeah I have been looking for better spots outside, but have still to find a ore vein better than copper. Also you have many reds working with blues, so the blue calls in the red who kills, loots and then hands the ore to the blue. So you cant even check if a mine is safe.

@Koda
    I dont think its worth it, pkers in the mine dont really have any loot and carry a blessed spell book. Why bother killing a difficult pk´er for almost no loot, when you can kill an ill prepared miner for 250 ore
  • PerPer
    edited January 8
    btw the 2 hours is worst case scenerio, you might get killed a minute in or after a couple of hours filling a horse, the latter is just a way bigger waste of time. Especially since there is no fight and no fun, you just get ganked in a second
  • Reroll in the pve server
  • Are you sure you have tried everything to avoid getting oneshot or PKed at first place? When I was mining I once met a PKer, but I was able to get away, because they were waiting when I will fill my bags. Maybe try maxing constitution and wisdom, for more health and some magic resist. And try to do shorter periods of mining, I was doing like 30 mins or so and then I was hearthstoning to city and came back with empty inventory.
  • Latvia
    I cant really see how I can up my defences, I tried using a sneaker, but since there is no detect skill in LOA, hiding is pretty much a useless skill defensively. Now Im trying my fighter, but I cant really see how I could improve him, I think his armor skill is at 70, and he can get +1 more on rings and armor, but I dont think that would do ham any good, I dont know if maxing wisdom and will would make him a useless fighter with run away odds, but that doesn´t really seem to much fun either.
    The thing is reds can ride in and attack immediately, while you have to stop mining, switch weapons then you can attack. Problem is you get to "oh theres a red, now Im stunned, now im dead" before you even get to equip a weapon.

You can heartstone every 30 mins, and not use a horse, that way you may get some more ore home, but you also tripple the time it takes. The mines arent exactly close to towns. And is it really meant to be that way? unless youre a mage, the best strategy is mine in your underwear to not loose your armor as well?
    I cant even see the fun for the pk´er, you make that same build they all do, and then anyone with half a brain can go gank miners, for what seems to be, some of the best loot runs in game.

I would way rather have them make some instance mines, with some very difficult mobs, or a pve server... anything that would at least give you a chance. Spending hours mining, only to have some dude ride in and grab 2 hours worth of loot in 10 seconds, making all your game time a complete waste, is not for me I think.
  • Is it possible to portal in and out? Minimize risk by carrying lower loads. Dual account seems the easiest but i'm no fan of that.
  • OzaruOzaru Polska
    The only thing i can recommend to you is to stop playing this game until its fixed. Thats what i did when i realised that i am unable to train my warrior.
    In my case to rise my skills above certain treshold i need to go into dungeons. I go there see no reds thinking "awesome i can play this game now" but i dont know there are dead characters scouting for reds there. And few minutes later pack of naked mages with blessed spell book one shot me with their precasted spells.
  • This game wants sheep it seems. Not skilled fighting miners.
  • edited January 8
    OK!
    for example:
    u go for: 10 str 10 agi 21 int 40 stam 40 wisdom 29 will
    skills: 100 healing, 100 vigor, 100 heavy armor/light armor, 40 lancing, 60 evocation, 80 manifistation, 100 mining
    abilyty: Ice barrier, stun strike, dash (if light armor)
    and u can susrvive VS 2 PKs

or:
    10 10 50 40 30 10
    80 manifistation
    80 evocation
    100 vigor
    100 healing
    100 combat skill (lancing better)
    100 mining

u have - mage armor, ice bock, stun
    u dismount PK> kill horse> press mage armor and make teleports out of sight

• @Per Im just wondering how much Wisdom and Will you have in stats window?
  • CrimpCrimp The ether
    edited January 8
    Blitz said:

The only way they can fix this is the make more spawns in the wilderness. Too few choke points. It's prime for PKs.

This is the best way to start fixing the problem. Back in CB1 they had gold/obsidian/cobalt ore spawn throughout the world and not just in a handful of mines, and I'm hopeful they will do so again.

They also need more negative repercussions for being red and give more escape/defence options to blue players, (especially to the gathering professions) so that it actually takes skill/dedication to being a red.

There are so many creative things they could do to solve the problem of pkers picking on the defenceless. For example at level 80 lumberjack/mining/fishing you could unlock a defense skill that allows you to bubble/hearth or teleport/hide if you are attacked by another player. To prevent abuse of the skill, perhps it is only usable if you are above X karma, or if you haven't killed another player in 10 days or have no red characters on your account.

I hope the devs understand that while it is fun to be a wolf, it is not fun to be the sheep.
  • Yes, there need to be ore spawn throughout the world. And also to be fair if crafter need to train fighting to protect from PK...then PK should have to have a certain level of crating to be able to loot resources.
  • If a game bores you than why play it?
    Find a ruleset that entertains you.

There are a freakton of games out there were you can mine/build with other players and not get ganked.
  • NefariousNefarious Community Server Admin and Subreddit Mod
    Jerboa said:

If a game bores you than why play it?

There are a freakton of games out there were you can mine/build with other players and not get ganked.

Or we could let the developers know when there’s a problem, so it gets fixed. Like funneling all high level miners into caves with one entrance/exit which makes them fish in a barrel. High level ores should spawn all over the PvP areas, not in tiny caves.
  • NefariousNefarious Community Server Admin and Subreddit Mod
    edited January 8
    For those of you not sure what to do. I roll naked with a basic horse (no pack) and post a character from another account at the entrance. If I see a red/orange on my lookout, then my miner/s hearth immediately.
  • As expected, PKs are already a big Problem. Theres not enough save content in the game, and everything that could be challenging ends in beeing killed, by roaming PKers that roam all the interesting spots. So you have to deal with monsters + PKs.
    We definetely need more challenging content in save zones! A lot of non PVP-players might lose fun soon. In a sandbox game there should be room for all Type of players, also solo player. Current system forces running in crowds.
  • edited January 8
    Nefarious said:

Jerboa said:

If a game bores you than why play it?

Or we could let the developers know when there’s a problem, so it gets fixed. Like funneling all high level miners into caves with one entrance/exit which makes them fish in a barrel. High level ores should spawn all over the PvP areas, not in tiny caves.
    I think the very first step would be to determine if the developers view this as a problem.

I say that because bottlenecks and limited access areas create zones of conflict - which seems to be a rather intentional design decision. The suggestion to spread stuff all over the map so players can avoid conflict seems to fly in the face of the intent of the game. Why have a PvP game if players can be so spread out as to avoid it altogether?

Again, it seems goofy to buy a PvP game and then immediately ask the developers to remove areas that promote PvP conflict. Seems like the game is supposed to be about fighting over resources?

What I'm getting at here is if the game is about PvP and advertised as such (see: Protector Video) then the decision to funnel miners into a barrel would be good design for the game and not something to be fixed. Asking it to be fixed makes me think people don't understand what they've purchased.
  • There's no reason they can't keep concentrated veins of T3/4/5 ores in the caves while also scattering some throughout the wilderness. The caves, then, would provide both the highest reward and the highest risk.
  • As a Red, I do agree - mines are too much of a choke point and too easy to know exactly where to go if you want to pillage someone else's hard work. They really need to add more open areas that are available to mine the ore you need - but still in the wilderness for the best materials.

However, I think there are too many gatherers out there that are simply pure gatherers and have absolutely no combat skills. If you do that, you're asking for a hard life anywhere in the wilderness. When this issue was addressed in the alphas and betas, the developers said that it's a much better idea to have one gathering skill on a combat based character so that you can defend yourself if the need arises.

If you have no defense, don't be upset if you die quickly with no hope of survival.

What I feel they really want to see, and what I would like to see as well, is guilds setting a day to get all their miners into Breca, or Denir, or wherever while the guild stands watch and protects them. This is a sandbox game and players are responsible for creating the content. I know as a red guild, our guild offers protection services at a price - you could see if there is something similar on your server.

You can get mad, you have every right to be mad. I lost 3 packhorses worth of ore yesterday because I got pk'd on my miner when I wasn't paying attention. It's frustrating, I know, but there are ways to prevent it or at least reduce the risk involved - it just isn't free. Hire bodyguards, or join a guild that cares about their gatherers and will stand watch in return for some crafted gear or coin. You will lose profits from this, but higher risk = higher reward and lower risk = lower reward.
  • Squid said:

There's no reason they can't keep concentrated veins of T3/4/5 ores in the caves while also scattering some throughout the wilderness. The caves, then, would provide both the highest reward and the highest risk.

So the game advertises PvP, lawless behavior, and a dangerous wilderness where you'll need other players for protection and you want the developers to counteract those design decisions by making it much safer to mine ore - so you can avoid PvP in a PvP game?

Did you read the box before buying the game?

• Just because a game has PvP doesn't mean PvP is the point of the game. PKers are and will always be a small minority; catering to them would be a bad business decision for CS, much like catering to the very loud—but very few—nolife hardcore raiders was a bad decision for Wildstar.
  • Jerboa said:

They shipped the founder collector boxes already? I did not get mine.

If not, then there is no box read before buying...
  • xKamikazexKamikaze U.S.
    edited January 8
    My strat for farming was to build a house outside of a tiny, non busy mine. Smallest house with smallest plot. Cost 3-4g. Then I spent hours running to the mine, getting a full bag and running back to the house to throw it down on my stack locked down on my plot. If I died. I lost 7minutes of mining and a pick. Nothing more. Then I’d log onto my combat character and farm gold for an hour or so and go back to my miner. I farmed 10k+ of each resource and 6K obsidian in just a few days.
  • KingslyKingsly Blue Boar
    edited January 8
    It's a pretty simple fix like previously mentioned many times before... Random mining spots throughout the world and ghost can't see other players. I'm starting to wonder what was their actual job description when helping with UO because these are obvious simple solutions like there are for other problems. Skill gain is still an issue for me, it's too fast.. Slow it down.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and stick with things that worked in other games. I have no problem with danger and getting killed but common sense would see this from a mile away and the skill progression being a problem down the line too. Are we looking for longevity or quick enjoyment that you get tired of after a short time? We should have super rare ores that are really hard to find too.
  • Squid said:

Just because a game has PvP doesn't mean PvP is the point of the game. PKers are and will always be a small minority; catering to them would be a bad business decision for CS, much like catering to the very loud—but very few—nolife hardcore raiders was a bad decision for Wildstar.

They’re not the “small minority” in this game. Not on AS at least.
  • Lord_G said:

Jerboa said:

They shipped the founder collector boxes already? I did not get mine.

If not, then there is no box read before buying...
    "Reading the Box" is another way of saying: YouTube Videos, Game Website, Reviews, Live Streams, Gaming Websites, Friends, etc.

I thought that would be clear to most people.
    I do appreciate the fact that upon being confused you asked for clarification.

That is a good thing.
  • Squid said:

Just because a game has PvP doesn't mean PvP is the point of the game. PKers are and will always be a small minority; catering to them would be a bad business decision for CS, much like catering to the very loud—but very few—nolife hardcore raiders was a bad decision for Wildstar.

Open world/Full Loot/PvP was and currently is a major selling point of the game.
    Asking for that to change isn't a small tweak and it is unfair to people who bought it for those features.

Additionally, servers with PvE rulesets are available - so nobody is forcing anyone to PvP.

• Brock9000 said:

The design is BAD, period. LoA will not last as is, period. Well, maybe a small group of players will linger on for awhile.

If you don't like the game why are you playing it?
    Find a design you like and go play that.

That isn't me being snotty, that is just something that occurred to me not long ago and it works great.
    No more being frustrated, no more hoping for change that won't happen, just move on.
    Very liberating.