My experience to LoA as a new player

I've been playing Legends of Aria for the first time for 5 days now. I'm a long time MMO player and spent 10 years in UO.

I love this game so far. And I'll get into some things that bug me. But overall I'm very impressed with the game and very happy Citadel finally did what I was so wishing someone would do and just make a modern UO clone.

Skill gains were probably one of the first things to make me scratch me head and ask what the heck is wrong here. Many skills I could not raise if they were at 0. Felt like almost anything to do with crafting and gathering wouldn't raise. Combat skills seemed to work okay though. Still not sure why so many of the crafting and gathering skills are like this. But if I buy the still and get them to level 30 then they work. I also discovered there seems to be a window in which skills will raise doing a certain thing or fighting a certain monster. Sometimes this window didn't make much sense. Like I decided to switch from light armor to heavy armor. I tried to fight some ghouls with my heavy armor at 0 and it wouldn't right. I went out and fought a bear and my heavy armor skill goes up like crazy. I feel skill gains need to be looked at.

Targeting is another thing that drives me crazy. I wish that when I target something, either by tab or clicking, that a name plaque comes up, like in most games. It makes it much more clear what I have targeted, the glow isn't enough. I can target something with tab and it's glowing, but my mouse may be hovering over something else and it's glowing too and that causes confusion. Would be nice if my pets and horses could be immune to my own attacks. I've killed more than 1 horse by accident with the clear as mud targeting system.

I can't believe I was able to buy a plot within 3 days. Not sure if that's great or not. Haha. But finding a spot for my plot was difficult. It was either I was too close to another plot or something was in the way. When I try to place a plot it shows a green box where I'm trying to put the plot. But I wish it would show a red box when it was hovering over an invalid location and then turn green once it found a valid location. Likewise would be nice if while in plot placing mode it would highlight the plots of other houses so I can more easily see them, seeing those plot markers is next to impossible on some places and at night.

Night time can be frustrating without a torch. I can equip a torch with a two handed bow or two handed weapons. But I can't equip a torch with a shield. If you are going to allow 2 handed weapon wielders use torches then seems shield users should be able to also. Fighting in the dark is brutal. Especially when I'm switching weapons. It's really hard to see if I switched my weapons out successfully. An option to increase the brightness in game in graphics settings would be nice too.

When crafting, I wish the crafting window would stay open while I'm crafting, so I can look at other recipes and stuff while crafting. Would also be nice to be able to open my crafting book anywhere. Nice to refer to it while considering which work order to accept.

Running through the game is a very laggy and stuttery experience. Not sure if I'm running across a lot of server lines or if it's just all the items out on display in the world. Seems odd they would sell items that way though. It's kind of neat, but probably better for performance if they did it the UO way with all the items being on the vendor itself.

Comments

  • One more item I forgot to mention. I wish the game would remember some of my customizations. Primarily bag window positions and that I like to keep my System window locked.
  • And another. The lighting of bags in my bank is dark and odd.
  • +1
    All good ideas/suggestions
    Especially the crafting window :smile:
  • Koda said:

    I've been playing Legends of Aria for the first time for 5 days now. I'm a long time MMO player and spent 10 years in UO.

    I love this game so far. And I'll get into some things that bug me. But overall I'm very impressed with the game and very happy Citadel finally did what I was so wishing someone would do and just make a modern UO clone.

    Skill gains were probably one of the first things to make me scratch me head and ask what the heck is wrong here. Many skills I could not raise if they were at 0. Felt like almost anything to do with crafting and gathering wouldn't raise. Combat skills seemed to work okay though. Still not sure why so many of the crafting and gathering skills are like this. But if I buy the still and get them to level 30 then they work. I also discovered there seems to be a window in which skills will raise doing a certain thing or fighting a certain monster. Sometimes this window didn't make much sense. Like I decided to switch from light armor to heavy armor. I tried to fight some ghouls with my heavy armor at 0 and it wouldn't right. I went out and fought a bear and my heavy armor skill goes up like crazy. I feel skill gains need to be looked at.

    Targeting is another thing that drives me crazy. I wish that when I target something, either by tab or clicking, that a name plaque comes up, like in most games. It makes it much more clear what I have targeted, the glow isn't enough. I can target something with tab and it's glowing, but my mouse may be hovering over something else and it's glowing too and that causes confusion. Would be nice if my pets and horses could be immune to my own attacks. I've killed more than 1 horse by accident with the clear as mud targeting system.

    I can't believe I was able to buy a plot within 3 days. Not sure if that's great or not. Haha. But finding a spot for my plot was difficult. It was either I was too close to another plot or something was in the way. When I try to place a plot it shows a green box where I'm trying to put the plot. But I wish it would show a red box when it was hovering over an invalid location and then turn green once it found a valid location. Likewise would be nice if while in plot placing mode it would highlight the plots of other houses so I can more easily see them, seeing those plot markers is next to impossible on some places and at night.

    Night time can be frustrating without a torch. I can equip a torch with a two handed bow or two handed weapons. But I can't equip a torch with a shield. If you are going to allow 2 handed weapon wielders use torches then seems shield users should be able to also. Fighting in the dark is brutal. Especially when I'm switching weapons. It's really hard to see if I switched my weapons out successfully. An option to increase the brightness in game in graphics settings would be nice too.

    When crafting, I wish the crafting window would stay open while I'm crafting, so I can look at other recipes and stuff while crafting. Would also be nice to be able to open my crafting book anywhere. Nice to refer to it while considering which work order to accept.

    Running through the game is a very laggy and stuttery experience. Not sure if I'm running across a lot of server lines or if it's just all the items out on display in the world. Seems odd they would sell items that way though. It's kind of neat, but probably better for performance if they did it the UO way with all the items being on the vendor itself.

    +2
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    About the fighting in the dark, I would prefer if there were rare light source items like rings or amulets, instead of just adjusting the monitor. Something more immersive.
  • You were able to make enough gold for a plot in 3 days by killing animals? wish i'd know this because it took me about a week to make 3 gold enough using carpentry and lumberjack.
  • Good ideas +1
  • Sacha said:

    About the fighting in the dark, I would prefer if there were rare light source items like rings or amulets, instead of just adjusting the monitor. Something more immersive.

    Uh, I use a torch... Of course, I am hoping to get something like "light" as a mage later.
  • Lesa said:

    You were able to make enough gold for a plot in 3 days by killing animals? wish i'd know this because it took me about a week to make 3 gold enough using carpentry and lumberjack.

    My hubby and I worked together to get enough money for a plot. They are not 3 gold... They are 1 gold, 40 silver. He killed things and I tailored since I was out of arrows. He made far more money than I did, I must say.
  • SolaSola Italia
    Pashta said:

    Sacha said:

    About the fighting in the dark, I would prefer if there were rare light source items like rings or amulets, instead of just adjusting the monitor. Something more immersive.

    Uh, I use a torch... Of course, I am hoping to get something like "light" as a mage later.
    +1

    nice post and nice profile pic Koda, u have to be a nice person too XD
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Pashta said:

    Sacha said:

    About the fighting in the dark, I would prefer if there were rare light source items like rings or amulets, instead of just adjusting the monitor. Something more immersive.

    Uh, I use a torch... Of course, I am hoping to get something like "light" as a mage later.
    Yes, poor people should use a torch :smile: but it should not be usable with bow, shield, 2 handed weapons, etc.
    But staff with light for mages is a must!
  • Koda said:

    I've been playing Legends of Aria for the first time for 5 days now. I'm a long time MMO player and spent 10 years in UO.

    I love this game so far. And I'll get into some things that bug me. But overall I'm very impressed with the game and very happy Citadel finally did what I was so wishing someone would do and just make a modern UO clone.

    Skill gains were probably one of the first things to make me scratch me head and ask what the heck is wrong here. Many skills I could not raise if they were at 0. Felt like almost anything to do with crafting and gathering wouldn't raise. Combat skills seemed to work okay though. Still not sure why so many of the crafting and gathering skills are like this. But if I buy the still and get them to level 30 then they work. I also discovered there seems to be a window in which skills will raise doing a certain thing or fighting a certain monster. Sometimes this window didn't make much sense. Like I decided to switch from light armor to heavy armor. I tried to fight some ghouls with my heavy armor at 0 and it wouldn't right. I went out and fought a bear and my heavy armor skill goes up like crazy. I feel skill gains need to be looked at.

    Targeting is another thing that drives me crazy. I wish that when I target something, either by tab or clicking, that a name plaque comes up, like in most games. It makes it much more clear what I have targeted, the glow isn't enough. I can target something with tab and it's glowing, but my mouse may be hovering over something else and it's glowing too and that causes confusion. Would be nice if my pets and horses could be immune to my own attacks. I've killed more than 1 horse by accident with the clear as mud targeting system.

    I can't believe I was able to buy a plot within 3 days. Not sure if that's great or not. Haha. But finding a spot for my plot was difficult. It was either I was too close to another plot or something was in the way. When I try to place a plot it shows a green box where I'm trying to put the plot. But I wish it would show a red box when it was hovering over an invalid location and then turn green once it found a valid location. Likewise would be nice if while in plot placing mode it would highlight the plots of other houses so I can more easily see them, seeing those plot markers is next to impossible on some places and at night.

    Night time can be frustrating without a torch. I can equip a torch with a two handed bow or two handed weapons. But I can't equip a torch with a shield. If you are going to allow 2 handed weapon wielders use torches then seems shield users should be able to also. Fighting in the dark is brutal. Especially when I'm switching weapons. It's really hard to see if I switched my weapons out successfully. An option to increase the brightness in game in graphics settings would be nice too.

    When crafting, I wish the crafting window would stay open while I'm crafting, so I can look at other recipes and stuff while crafting. Would also be nice to be able to open my crafting book anywhere. Nice to refer to it while considering which work order to accept.

    Running through the game is a very laggy and stuttery experience. Not sure if I'm running across a lot of server lines or if it's just all the items out on display in the world. Seems odd they would sell items that way though. It's kind of neat, but probably better for performance if they did it the UO way with all the items being on the vendor itself.

    Shroud of the Avatar has the red/ green house lot marker placement and it is so nice. I agree that Loa should implement this.
  • BTW...great post. That were something that I notice as well. But I want to know how you were able to make enough golds to buy a plot in 3 days of playing.




  • Mackase said:

    BTW...great post. That were something that I notice as well. But I want to know how you were able to make enough golds to buy a plot in 3 days of playing.

    I already stated how my hubby and I did it in three days...
  • edited January 8
    Mackase said:

    BTW...great post. That were something that I notice as well. But I want to know how you were able to make enough golds to buy a plot in 3 days of playing.




    Build a fighter, kill things. I ve maked 1g in 2 hours with a fresh character. But to be fair i have a blacksmith/miner Alt so i can gear my fighter
  • I made a fighter, heavy armor, slash weapon. Went to the cemetery right next to Valus and killed skeletons and zombies (hated zombies at first). Eventually built up enough skill to go to the other cemetary further west of Valus and started killing ghouls. Making about 1 silver per kill and before when the spawn was working pretty good, I could almost kill them non-stop during off hours. So would eventually get up to making almost 1 gold an hour there. Sadly the past patch seems to have messed up the spawn. So now I'm wandering around the map trying to find other places to hunt that are not overcrowded. Which has now gotten pretty hard.
  • @Koda Why not try the other Cemeteries at other towns?
Sign In or Register to comment.