Are community servers hosted by the player or the company?

Usually private servers are hosted by the player (ie. using the player's hardware and bandwidth), but I heard that here the community servers are hosted at the company's datacenter meaning it's hosted by the company?? Just curious ...

Comments

• SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    No, hosted by players.
  • BingoBingo Canada
    edited December 2018
    Sacha said:

No, hosted by players.

Thanks for info. :)

Is there a minimum upload/download bandwidth requirement? If so, what is it?
    @Bingo CS has the cluster though, that connects the diferent regions the player hosts within the same server. So you need CS to login and retrieve your chars.
  • So who is hosting the game world, the player or CS? If the player hosts the game world, then the player is essentially providing the hardware and bandwidth. In that case, is there a minimum upload/download bandwidth requirement for hosting? If so, what is it?
    >So who is hosting the game world, the player or CS?
    Player
    >If the player hosts the game world, then the player is essentially providing the hardware and bandwidth.
    Yes
    >In that case, is there a minimum upload/download bandwidth requirement for hosting? If so, what is it?
    No minimum. Bandwith required is the one you feel the game is not laggy depending on the number of players you have.
    But you'll also need CPU and RAM.
    You're welcome
  • BingoBingo Canada
    edited December 2018
    Ok, I thought they would have a min requirement before allowing you into their program. Guess not.
  • Novus Opiate Redux is currently hosted by the Admin staff of the server on our own server boxes. CS has granted us the use of the client and the files which we have modded to suit our tastes. It is a very different experience from the official server, which CS hosts. I hope that answers some of your questions.
  • BingoBingo Canada
    @Muska Yeah I got it. Sacha's initial reply when I asked if there were min bandwidth requirements threw me off, but the followup clarified that already. Thanks for reply just the same. :)
  • BingoBingo Canada
    edited January 4
    Muska said:

Novus Opiate Redux is currently hosted by the Admin staff of the server on our own server boxes. CS has granted us the use of the client and the files which we have modded to suit our tastes. It is a very different experience from the official server, which CS hosts. I hope that answers some of your questions.

I just reread your post and I'm not sure anymore lol. Your wording seems odd.

You say : Novus Opiate Redux is currently hosted by the Admin staff of the server on our own server boxes.

Just to be sure, by Admin staff, you mean the player, right? Staff usually refers to the company staff, players usually don't refer to themselves as staff, so your wording here is throwing me off a bit.

You say : CS has granted us the use of the client and the files which we have modded to suit our tastes.

You're talking about them granting you the use of their server files right? Usually in MMOs, client refers to the game client the players download and use to play the game with, while server refers to the game server (game world) players log onto to play. So you're modifying their server files, not their client files right?
    Yes odd wording lol
    afaik you're right @Bingo