My view on PVP

First of all: I do not want to get rid of pvp, as I believe its an essential part of the game, and I also think game mechanics do work well.

However I think with a few adjustments regarding pvp zones and protected zones, we would be able to prevent extremly high frustration levels.

If a player decides to focus on crafting it gets to the point where high level mats are needed to keep on working. The fact that these mats are exclusivly spawning in pvp zones makes it incredble difficult to advance. Cutting Blightwood in black forest is challenging enough even without a group of gankers.

A solution would be to have highlevel mats in some protected zones.

I like the idea of pvp gangs that roam player run villages and engage in pvp fights with the local player guards. But camping in mats zones in the wilderness and slaughtering merchants and crafters again and again up to the point where people are quitting is not helping anybody.

Plese forgive me my bad english. And please try to stay civilised in this thread, lets have a discussion without the usual carebare/ganker bashing. Thanks.

Comments

• People want to murder. Yes, it's a game, but it should not be a murder simulator for people.

To that end, there should be mechanics to make it palatable for Blues to go out into the world. You Reds need sheep. But I imagine being automatically fed Blues without some challenge will eventually get boring save for that group of psychopaths that keep murdering endlessly.

First, what we have: We have mechanics. You can Hearth (place your Hearthstone on your hotbar!). We also have Escape Scrolls (they are expensive for newer players (4s), but later on just make it a habit to buy ONE - don't carry more than one unless you can spare the coin). You can also travel with friends (join a Guild!). You can also hop on Discord or get a group together if its a large group killing and you can manage to organize them.

Now, some suggestions: What's needed here aside from Karma is a few things to keep Reds at bay. One option is that bounty system. I don't know if it's planned, but that could help out a bit. I would restrict this to Blue players as it could just be exploited by Reds. It could be exploited by Blues working with Reds, but there are probably ways to limit it.

Another option is NPC mercenaries. Personally, I would love this option because having someone around to protect you seems like it would be fun. I know Reds would find a way around this (e.g., how does one Mercenary handle a group of Reds? Maybe an AoE Stun/Daze/Slow). This could lead to crazy antics as a bunch of Blues just get Mercenaries and go to Oasis to handle Reds, and it may seem unfair - so, yes, there are potential exploits but maybe mechanics can be created to limit this.

Just some thoughts.
  • Riticulus said:

I like the idea of pvp gangs that roam player run villages and engage in pvp fights with the local player guards. But camping in mats zones in the wilderness and slaughtering merchants and crafters again and again up to the point where people are quitting is not helping anybody.

This is what is going to happen:

PvP Guy Right Now: This game is perfect the way it is and all you noobs need to learn how to play.

PvP Guy 10 Minutes After the Last Player Quits: The game failed because they didn't do PvP right.

What PvP Guy will never understand is that getting ganked kinda sucks, that watching other people mine to act as protector sucks, that no matter my twitch skill level I've 300 of my 600 points in crafting to go up against your perfect warrior build - they will never understand that. It is always everyone else's fault.

I'm okay with a game being full on PvP/Full Loot and I don't think they should change the ruleset.
    Players need to research the games they play (with YouTube videos, mmorpg sites, etc there is no reason to NOT know about a game going in) and they're responsible for their bad choices. If you don't like full on PvP/Full loot, look elsewhere.

The only part that gets me a little bit is when other players elect to leave and the game fails the blame goes directly to either the 'carebears' or the developers. In short, don't say this is perfect now and then blame the developers when it doesn't work out. You cannot have 'the rules need to stay the same' and 'the developer messed up' and be consistent.

• Jerboa said:

Riticulus said:

PvP Guy Right Now: This game is perfect the way it is and all you noobs need to learn how to play.

PvP Guy 10 Minutes After the Last Player Quits: The game failed because they didn't do PvP right.

What PvP Guy will never understand is that getting ganked kinda sucks, that watching other people mine to act as protector sucks, that no matter my twitch skill level I've 300 of my 600 points in crafting to go up against your perfect warrior build - they will never understand that. It is always everyone else's fault.

I'm okay with a game being full on PvP/Full Loot and I don't think they should change the ruleset.
    Players need to research the games they play (with YouTube videos, mmorpg sites, etc there is no reason to NOT know about a game going in) and they're responsible for their bad choices. If you don't like full on PvP/Full loot, look elsewhere.

The only part that gets me a little bit is when other players elect to leave and the game fails the blame goes directly to either the 'carebears' or the developers. In short, don't say this is perfect now and then blame the developers when it doesn't work out. You cannot have 'the rules need to stay the same' and 'the developer messed up' and be consistent.

u should check my posts about pvp to know ur statement about the pvp guy is wrong. on another side, u have 4 character slots, u should think of playing one character as a miner or wathever, raise the apropiate skills, get some survival skills like dart and harmstring etc, try to load him for survavility and try to play smart when farming on the wild, be aware, jump on horse as soon as a red appears on ur screen. then create a fighter char, enjoy the content of the game, having close to ur farming locations so u can fight the pks when they come etc. play the game, stop trying the game to be what is not. much love to u
  • edited December 2018
    emanemm said:

u should check my posts about pvp to know ur statement about the pvp guy is wrong. on another side, u have 4 character slots, u should think of playing one character as a miner or wathever, raise the apropiate skills, get some survival skills like dart and harmstring etc, try to load him for survavility and try to play smart when farming on the wild, be aware, jump on horse as soon as a red appears on ur screen. then create a fighter char, enjoy the content of the game, having close to ur farming locations so u can fight the pks when they come etc. play the game, stop trying the game to be what is not. much love to u

Okay, but understand your answer is: Build several characters to deal with my one PK character - also, burn skill points on your build to deal with me while all my skill points are about doing what I love to do.
    The typical PK response here, everyone else just has to 'learn', 'work harder' and run 1/2 dozen characters to entertain me.

What if in order to PK you had to have 1/2 your points in a crafting skill or had to spend several weeks building a crafting character. What if a miner could PK you by forcing you to mine for 10 minutes - and there was an endless parade of miners that could do this to you in a single evening - forcing you to PVE against your will? Would the answer "learn to PVE" work for you?

The refrain "read the box" is really the correct answer. The PKs are correct - they are playing by the rules and people who buy this game for PVE only are stupid. If you don't want to work harder than a PK to deal with gankers then don't buy the game. I agree with that point entirely. I'm actually NOT buying the game.

That aside, I'm glad to know that when the full loot gankers drive everyone away and the PKs are standing around with nothing to do you will NOT be one of the players blaming the developers or the carebears? I'm calling this 9 months in advance: When the carebears take your advice and go to PVE servers you've stated that you won't be the one complaining about it. Excellent.

I'm not doubting your answer but you are about 1% of the PK population.
    Good for you.

• It is always a tough balance, it is all about risk v reward but since it is a game, it needs to be fun or at least satisfying.

I think it is too early to say. For one, pure crafters should maybe buy materials from PvP gatherers, that is IMO but that seems to be how the game is designed.

Also, the end game is high level material gathering and high level dungeons. It does seem currently that there are too many reds but griefers always level up fast and such, they say they want 'pvp' but what they want are easy kills. Once the server organizes better it may all change a bit. If not, then time to implement minor changes until it works 'as intended'.

Unfortunately, devs have to do a lot to fix a few things and also work on unfinished parts of the game. The end-game issues won't get the attention they deserve for at least another 2 months. That is a problem but I like Aria enough to wait and see. Play some and not worry much. This is clearly still very beta and probably will be a beta MMO for awhile more.
  • Riticulus said:

First of all: I do not want to get rid of pvp, as I believe its an essential part of the game, and I also think game mechanics do work well.

However I think with a few adjustments regarding pvp zones and protected zones, we would be able to prevent extremly high frustration levels.

If a player decides to focus on crafting it gets to the point where high level mats are needed to keep on working. The fact that these mats are exclusivly spawning in pvp zones makes it incredble difficult to advance. Cutting Blightwood in black forest is challenging enough even without a group of gankers.

Plese forgive me my bad english. And please try to stay civilised in this thread, lets have a discussion without the usual carebare/ganker bashing. Thanks.

Simply NO......our guild crafters have plenty mats so i see this argument as invalid.
    High end resources should be risky to acquire.
  • RiticulusRiticulus switzerland
    Sylas said:

Riticulus said:

Simply NO......our guild crafters have plenty mats so i see this argument as invalid.
    Read my post again. I never said it should not be risky to aquire highend mats.

• Riticulus said:

Sylas said:

Riticulus said:

“A solution would be to have highlevel mats in some protected zones.” you never said it shouldn’t be risky per say. But in a protected zone implies protected. Therefore no risk.
    xKamikaze said:

Riticulus said:

Sylas said:

Riticulus said:

“A solution would be to have highlevel mats in some protected zones.” you never said it shouldn’t be risky per say. But in a protected zone implies protected. Therefore no risk.
    Again - risky does not mean is has to be a pvp/pk zone. Spawn the right mixture and ammount of high level mobs and it will be very challenging.

What is so difficult to understand about that?
  • xKamikazexKamikaze U.S.
    edited December 2018
    The fact that the current “hard dungeon” is simply farmed. Casually. So instead of guilds massing in those places. They mass in the easy places and let their miners farm all day. With no risk of being killed at all. And you screw solo players since they’d be forced into a guild or get railed by pks while guilds or small groups have easy street. You’re right. It’s very simple to understand. Which is why I’m shocked you don’t see the holes in your own logic. Or too conceited to admit they’re there.
    xKamikaze said:

The fact that the current “hard dungeon” is simply farmed. Casually. So instead of guilds massing in those places. They mass in the easy places and let their miners farm all day. With no risk of being killed at all. And you screw solo players since they’d be forced into a guild or get railed by pks while guilds or small groups have easy street. You’re right. It’s very simple to understand. Which is why I’m shocked you don’t see the holes in your own logic. Or too conceited to admit they’re there.

If the current „hard dungeon“ as you call it is simply farmed then its just another sample of sloppy gamedesign. You are justifying a flawed design with another bad implementation of game mechanics.

Sorry that you are shocked, I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Riticulus said:

xKamikaze said:

If the current „hard dungeon“ as you call it is simply farmed then its just another sample of sloppy gamedesign. You are justifying a flawed design with another bad implementation of game mechanics.

Sorry that you are shocked, I wish you a speedy recovery.
    First. If you mean defend my opinion. Then yes I’m defending my opinion. I didn’t defend anything else. Simply pointed out the flaws I saw in your idea. And you said my point. So I’m glad you got it. You’re saying you want to put the same “sloppy game design” that are currently being farmed to the max, in a protected zone. Therefore the dungeon would still be full and farmed leaving no actual threat of dying. Allowing guilds to 6x gm in protected zones and crafters to 6xgm In protected zones. And as I stated before. Ramping up the Difficulty makes it impossible for solos and small parties to get. So I disagree with that idea. And follow your own first post of “keep it civil”. I tried clarifying why that guy assumed what you meant even if he was incorrect. Then you assume I’m too dumb or incapable of following your simple idea. It’s ok to have an idea and someone else point out its flaws. But don’t be so arrogant that you think your idea is the best. And I give your attempt at humor a 2/10. Try harder next time.
    Hmm, I am not sure what your reason is to get into that sort of ragemode and personal. I am far from assuming that you are dumb or incapable. I dont remember saying that.

Might well be that my idea is too simple as you call it, i never stated that my idea is the best. Calling me arrogant without even knowing me is a bit strange.

As you said: I will be trying harder next time, english is not my native language.

Have a nice day.
  • Jerboa said:

emanemm said:

Okay, but understand your answer is: Build several characters to deal with my one PK character - also, burn skill points on your build to deal with me while all my skill points are about doing what I love to do.
    The typical PK response here, everyone else just has to 'learn', 'work harder' and run 1/2 dozen characters to entertain me.

What if in order to PK you had to have 1/2 your points in a crafting skill or had to spend several weeks building a crafting character. What if a miner could PK you by forcing you to mine for 10 minutes - and there was an endless parade of miners that could do this to you in a single evening - forcing you to PVE against your will? Would the answer "learn to PVE" work for you?

The refrain "read the box" is really the correct answer. The PKs are correct - they are playing by the rules and people who buy this game for PVE only are stupid. If you don't want to work harder than a PK to deal with gankers then don't buy the game. I agree with that point entirely. I'm actually NOT buying the game.

That aside, I'm glad to know that when the full loot gankers drive everyone away and the PKs are standing around with nothing to do you will NOT be one of the players blaming the developers or the carebears? I'm calling this 9 months in advance: When the carebears take your advice and go to PVE servers you've stated that you won't be the one complaining about it. Excellent.

I'm not doubting your answer but you are about 1% of the PK population.
    Good for you.

you claim to be psychic alot:). please tell me when i get to skill lvl 100 heavy armor on Harjar. i have been waiting for somwan to read my future for a long time. finaly i found you!!
  • edited December 2018
    btw i have a karakter ho is crafting only. he dont have 1 combat skill. i have farmed alot in the wilderness and did die 1 time. and he did not bother looting my 200 weight of wood. so i got all back. i have played since the headstart and have only die 1 time to a player. people say they get ganked alot by red groups of 6-7 players. Maybe I'm lucky but i have never seen this. all i have seen is blue chasing reds:)
  • Harjar said:

btw i have a karakter ho is crafting only. he dont have 1 combat skill. i have farmed alot in the wilderness and did die 1 time. and he did not bother looting my 200 weight of wood. so i got all back. i have played since the headstart and have only die 1 time to a player. people say they get ganked alot by red groups of 6-7 players. Maybe I'm lucky but i have never seen this. all i have seen is blue chasing reds:)

Very similar experience here.
  • Jerboa said:

Riticulus said:

Wrong, the pvp guy knows well that being ganked sucks, they just get over it and themselves much faster and maintain a discipline moving forward. Most of the high level players I ran with all looked inwards when shit went downhill, rather than to contrive an excuse why they failed blaming every factor except for themselves, including teammates. Those guys didnt stick around long as they weren't the real deal.

Like fatty tuna, there are many grades to PvPrs
  • Need a Non-PvP server or a PvP-tag for those that want... ruining a whole farming cession cause of a PK encounter is absolute not fun!
  • Zhool said:

Need a Non-PvP server or a PvP-tag for those that want... ruining a whole farming cession cause of a PK encounter is absolute not fun!

That is true but in LoA you need to be prepared and plan ahead and take precautions.

The main issue (IMO) is that the gatherers don't have quite enough 'tools/stuff' to take enough precautions. A 2nd issue is that reds don't risk much upon death (if the equipment they need to bring to be successful goes 'up/costs more' then this would change)

In no way do I want the wilderness to become guarded, that completely ruins LoA IMO. I don't think most want that either.
  • xKamikaze said:

Harjar said:

Very similar experience here.
    Same with me, I have died twice to solo pkers on my gatherer since I started.
  • They need to implement stat loss for reds. At least then they run some risk as well.
  • They need to implement stat loss for reds. At least then they run some risk as well.

I don't PK and even I think messing with a player's stats is ridiculous - especially since the murders are happening in a PvP zone.
    Have you ever considered going to a PvE server?
  • The problem is pretty easy to solve. The Crafter characters should have an Prestige ability to escape the gankers. Like using hearthstone without delay and 30minutes cooldown. You can use this ability every 30 minutes - it would be ehough to save your materials and come back again later. What do you think about it?
  • An solution could be to make Karma shared for a whole account. This would really make the red-penalatys work.
  • The resources are kill zones mostly, one way in one way out. The resources are not spread out enough. This allows camping, even promotes it. Spread out where people can gather the goods then you dont need to change the mechanics. I am a crafter and suck at pvp. I just don't find it fun. Too many naked mages running around. It's creepy. But only being able to gather high end mats in very limited areas is making it very difficult to want to even bother with the high end stuff. Until there is an actual economy the new players are going to have an rotten time making cash. It will eventually work itself out, I think as an actual community starts to form, anti PK guilds will advertise for protection for a specified time period and a group of craftsmen split the cost of hiring the "Mercs" or they get a portion of the gathered materials, you get the idea. Did this all the time in Eve Online. I think they need the durability of items to drop substantially, this way items need to be replaced more and drive an economy with out one, this will wither and die.
  • Personally I dont see how anyone finds it fun just to "murder" someone who obviously isn't geared up for fighting or has any interest in it, but thats besides the point.

I have no interest in PVP (why come to a pvp game I here you cry), but I do like crafting building and the world.

I have been really enjoying the game until reaching the point where I need to go into the wilderness to get resources. Now what are my options. The only way I can gather resources is to go to a few caves which are known to all with one way in one way out. I cant gather resources quickly it takes time, and every time all that happens is I am murdered and have a long walk back to get resurrected. Its so easy for the PK you think it would be pointless.

I am not complaining that its pvp, but there is a simple solution as others have stated just distribute the resources and have some random veins popping up for the high-end resources.

Give the crafters and gatherers a chance to explore the world with an element of risk, not certain death. And make PKs have to work a bit harder for their kills needing to hunt for people not just sit in a mine and wait.

Again I cant see where the fun lies for people to do this but understand lots of people want to PK other more defenceless people - but please at least make it a little bit more difficult for them so they have to put some effort into it.

• Brock9000 said:

Zhool said:

Need a Non-PvP server or a PvP-tag for those that want... ruining a whole farming cession cause of a PK encounter is absolute not fun!

That is true but in LoA you need to be prepared and plan ahead and take precautions.

The main issue (IMO) is that the gatherers don't have quite enough 'tools/stuff' to take enough precautions. A 2nd issue is that reds don't risk much upon death (if the equipment they need to bring to be successful goes 'up/costs more' then this would change)

In no way do I want the wilderness to become guarded, that completely ruins LoA IMO. I don't think most want that either.
    Yes there has to be consequences and risk to being a PKer. So if blues team up and kill the Pker it puts them out of commission for awhile. Stat/ability loss, bounties, or just plain jail for an amount of time.
    It should take a lot of dedication to be a Red...therefore the numbers would also balance. We have to have the risk of PK but not make it so easy and risk free for them.
  • Riticulus said:

risk versus reward.

dont like it? here's the door ----->
  • They should implement an NPC (located in main towns) that will buff you against "evil" (being not attackable by other players) for 1-2 hours as long you have at least 1 crafting skill > 60-80 or something like that.

Should cost money for sure. Something about 10-20s for every renewal that you are forced to think about it.

Its just a idea. I dont thought much about it. =)
  • NorianNorian UK
    edited February 14
    Gankdalf said:

risk versus reward.

dont like it? here's the door ----->

Wheres the risk for the PKer?

Sits in mine waiting for a miner that isn't specially skilled up for pvp. There is no risk for the Pker in this situation. Give some risk for the Pker in this scenario and you have a point. The Pker is going after helpless victims and the victims are unable to do anything about it.

And before you say about coming with other players or having protectors and all this rubbish the Pker doesn't have to do this its really simple for them, the only thing they need is the patience to wait for a victim.

Essentially people who like to pvp can always play their gamestyle all the time, where as people who like to craft have to engage in a gamestyle that they might not enjoy.

But again I am not saying remove PVP... but just make it so its not such a dire situation for the crafter... let resources and nodes pop up in the wilderness away from mines and such... let them explore the world with a chance that they could be engaged... not 100% certain death if ever you want to mine some of the more rare ores.

As is its just pure grief nothing else..