PvP protection

First off I know very little about this game and just recently saw it pop up on my newsfeed. before beginning the process of playing the game I would like to know what types of PVP protections are going to be in place to prevent the inevitable PVP Zerg from ruining the servers. Many of the games like this are plagued by PVP related communities that are only out there to kill other players and not allow for the progression. I have seen this in games like ark, tibia, and dark and light, and some of the other more recent mmo style games that allow the communities to build themselves.

Comments

• VandrilVandril Nazgul Isn't Actually The World First GM Animal Tamer, But He Always Votes For Hardcore
    There's large swaths of "protected" zones, where attacking another player literally has you zapped to insta-death by the heavens or insta-killed by demigod guards. That's the main protection.

Everywhere else is free game.
  • StevroStevro Perth, Australia
    Go here, scroll down, check the box that says "Protected Areas" see for yourself.
    Plenty of safe land to explore and prepare.

https://legendsofaria.gamepedia.com/Celador
  • You will get killed, at some point you will be griefed, it is the nature of the beast. You can basically level skills to ~75 in safe zones, after that all of the zones you can gain in are in contested areas. You have to look at it as part of the fun, though it comes with some serious annoyances without question.
  • sergdorsergdor United States
    Is the current setup similar to the attempted war mode in WOW where you might come across others to kill you from time to time or is it filled with the annoyance of players that sit around to kill others all day preventing you from progressing? I have played similar games that get overrun by Chinese groups that troll the map killing others for no reason.
  • MhikhailMhikhail United States
    A little of both probably. Some people love to just hunt other people. But probably going to be a "now and then" situation. You can always run, or fight back. Don't take more than you can afford to lose into the wilds.
  • BingoBingo Canada
    edited December 2018
    sergdor said:

I have played similar games that get overrun by Chinese groups that troll the map killing others for no reason.

Well seeing you're from US, you'll prob play on an NA server, so you prob won't have Chinese groups that troll the map killing others for no reason. But you'll most likely experience North American groups that troll the map killing others for no reason. :)

This is an open world pvp game. The protected areas encompass maybe 30% of the map while un-protected area encompass 70%. If you want to get the good resources like good ores or high level spawns, you will have to journey into the unprotected areas where you will most likely encounter PKs.

This thread should give you an idea of what to expect.
    https://forums.legendsofaria.com/discussion/7948/this-is-why-open-ended-pvp-online-suxs-even-uo-abandoned-it-in-favor-of-the-insurance-system/p1

Just keeping it real. Reading your comments, I suspect you would not have a much better experience than the OP of that thread. But that's for you to decide.
  • To avoid all forced fighting, you can use the community servers :)
  • BingoBingo Canada
    edited December 2018
    Lesa said:

To avoid all forced fighting, you can use the community servers :)

Community servers sounds pretty risky though :
    https://forums.legendsofaria.com/discussion/8140/eu-be-aria-pve-server-gone

I was thinking of playing on the server with unlimited skill point, but the thought of losing my char at the discretion of the player running the server changed my mind.
    Thank you all for the information. Based on the large amount of posts regarding the state of PVP and the toxic nature of it currently I'll continue to follow and see if the game makes any changes in the future for a more balance PVP/PVE game play.
    Bingo said:

sergdor said:

I have played similar games that get overrun by Chinese groups that troll the map killing others for no reason.

Well seeing you're from US, you'll prob play on an NA server, so you prob won't have Chinese groups that troll the map killing others for no reason. But you'll most likely experience North American groups that troll the map killing others for no reason. :)

This is an open world pvp game. The protected areas encompass maybe 30% of the map while un-protected area encompass 70%. If you want to get the good resources like good ores or high level spawns, you will have to journey into the unprotected areas where you will most likely encounter PKs.

https://forums.legendsofaria.com/discussion/7948/this-is-why-open-ended-pvp-online-suxs-even-uo-abandoned-it-in-favor-of-the-insurance-system/p1

Just keeping it real. Reading your comments, I suspect you would not have a much better experience than the OP of that thread. But that's for you to decide.
    Yes I am from the US and regardless of the server location the server will eventually be overrun by PVP guilds and over time they will ruin the game server's. Happened with Tibia, Ark, and other open PVP games. Unfortunately it's not a very profitable game structure.
  • Shadow MakerShadow Maker theresistence2012@gmail.com
    This is what is wrong with modern gamers. If you don't like losing your stuff leave it at home or in the bank if that's a thing. I haven't played yet, but from my UO days that is what made things fun. Or go play WOW the game that ruined everything where everyone gets all the same crap and is safe from everyone.
  • So since we know PvP reins, what is there to do if you want to avoid a fight? Any insta TPs or other things?
  • Equipment isn't worth much unlike other games, it's character skills that determine your progression
  • MhikhailMhikhail United States
    sergdor said:

Bingo said:

sergdor said:

Yes I am from the US and regardless of the server location the server will eventually be overrun by PVP guilds and over time they will ruin the game server's. Happened with Tibia, Ark, and other open PVP games. Unfortunately it's not a very profitable game structure.
    Not familiar with those games, but is there anything you can gain pvp besides killing characters? I've seen where pvp guilds can take over some games, but in those cases it's been games where you build and progress, and it's the building that gets raided the most. (and seems to be the most fun to raid). In aria you can kill someone, and steal what they have on them, which won't be much. Worst case would be 5 horses worth of ore maybe?

LoA has a good balance. You might run into red players in dungeons and high level areas, but you won't be getting ganked by 5 guys running by on horses when you are just cutting wood.
  • SolaSola Italia

This is what is wrong with modern gamers. If you don't like losing your stuff leave it at home or in the bank if that's a thing. I haven't played yet, but from my UO days that is what made things fun. Or go play WOW the game that ruined everything where everyone gets all the same crap and is safe from everyone.

Oh my god! is my conscience speaking? <3 <3 <3 <3
  • Try going in the small caves with high end resources.
  • You don't need 75 testimonials or a First 30 Days plan of action. Just log in and wing it. If it's fun, you'll keep playing. Maybe something weird like the sound of lumberjack chopping will resonate and you'll play just to experience it.
  • Pvp protection? Its called making friends or joining a guild. This is not a single player game, it relies heavily on the community.
  • sergdor said:

First off I know very little about this game and just recently saw it pop up on my newsfeed. before beginning the process of playing the game I would like to know what types of PVP protections are going to be in place to prevent the inevitable PVP Zerg from ruining the servers. Many of the games like this are plagued by PVP related communities that are only out there to kill other players and not allow for the progression. I have seen this in games like ark, tibia, and dark and light, and some of the other more recent mmo style games that allow the communities to build themselves.

Play other games, this one might not be for you if you are looking for robust pvp protection, single player games are best suited for that endeavor, try those out.
  • You can play this game solo all day long. You can be a solo anything and have a great time. Just be willing to make skill adjustments and use careful planning to be successful.
  • Getting insta-killed by bored, OP PKs - if that's part of the UO fun I'm glad I missed it :D
  • HawkshieldHawkshield United States
    sergdor said:

I have seen this in games like ark, tibia, and dark and light, and some of the other more recent mmo style games that allow the communities to build themselves.

Ah I LOVED Dark and Lights building system (before the texture switch), very fun game, and riding flying beasts you had to tame (forever) that was amazing. I gave that one up because there was no real exploration content, I admit though thier creatures were all as dangerous as F****, somthing that LOA really needs.