Headstart Server Downtime and Short Rollback

SupreemSupreem United States Administrator
edited December 2018 in Straight from the Citadel
Greetings everyone,

We will be doing a short rollback to before all the houses went up for auction. We've had reports of people not knowing that they had to pay taxes. We'd hate to see so many people lose their stuff.

We are going to work on making it more apparent that you need to pay taxes to keep your house and belongings. The auction system will be disabled until further notice.

I forgot to mention that there have been several reports of bugs related to paying taxes. We will be investigating those as well and making sure the tax system is working 100% before re-enabling the auction system.

Comments

• How SHORT of a rollback will this be???? Seems like people need to learn to read and not punish all others for paying attention.
  • there's some bug with the calculation on the plots. I padded my taxes to avoid this from happening. I then resized my plot and added more to the tax balance to cover it. It became a negative number afterwards.

This happened to several of my rich neighbors in prime locations.

Unless a small 17x13 plot costs nearly 2g in taxes, you may want to check that out.
  • edited December 2018
    sorry but the plot menu lists taxes.... how much stuff will other people loose due to people who dont read info ?
  • what about the skill gain everyone will be losing to a roll back for someone not understanding they got to pay taxes
  • What about the people that will lose their stuff not related to house?
  • IronBankIronBank United States
    How much does "short" mean in this? Because if it is 3-4 hours that is not SHORT.
  • This isn't a great way to handle this. If there was a bug that's one thing, but people's own negligence shouldn't be fixed by a rollback, punishing those who took the time to look at the housing menu.
  • I was wondering what paying taxes actually did. You only have to pay taxes for the houses that you own? are there taxes for anything else?
  • Damander said:

How SHORT of a rollback will this be???? Seems like people need to learn to read and not punish all others for paying attention.

+1 Please do a rollback because i failed on making resurrection scroll 40 times and i losed 40 ancient scrolls and i didnt know that making a scroll could fail (same argument) sigh..........
  • SupreemSupreem United States Administrator
    I forgot to mention that there have been several reports of bugs related to paying taxes. We will be investigating those as well and making sure the tax system is working 100% before re-enabling the auction system.
  • b0mb3rb0mb3r Brazil
    edited December 2018
    That is not fair at all.. A few players, compared to the whole player base, lost their house to a planned game mechanic. To prevent these few players from losing their house we will punish everybody else and do a roll back?
  • Its not a bug, why rollback?
  • Santanafx has a point. We're rolling back for the concern of a small segment of players (homeowners); while, all other players "lose their stuff" (progress) for the sake of homeowners. Devs are Republicans? :P
  • VandrilVandril Nazgul Isn't Actually The World First GM Animal Tamer, But He Always Votes For Hardcore
    edited December 2018

This isn't a great way to handle this. If there was a bug that's one thing, but people's own negligence shouldn't be fixed by a rollback, punishing those who took the time to look at the housing menu.

I have to agree with this. I'm okay with rollbacks when something occurred that may cause some damage if left as is, but people losing their house due to not paying taxes is completely on them for not paying attention. I don't even have a house and I knew you have to pay taxes on them. I'm happy to see that you're willing to go so far for your players, but try to temper that enthusiasm a bit so you don't miss the forest for the trees.
  • Unless something is broke this is a crap reason to rollback. If you feel bad someone lost their stuff.. give it back to them, but don't undo 1000s of hours of other people's time for a few. This is terrible.
  • edited December 2018
    Rollback is no way to handle every situation, how about those who will lose skill gain that knew about taxes??? Or those who will just plain lose all work done in the last "insert rollback time here"?

Learn to read and be self informed, a bug fix would be different.
  • VandrilVandril Nazgul Isn't Actually The World First GM Animal Tamer, But He Always Votes For Hardcore
    It's back up. Let's see how far the rollback went, shall we?
  • WOW. THIS IS TERRIBLE. why are you doing this? makes no sense
  • MayhemMayhem Sverige
    edited December 2018
    O well I just got back in, I am sorry to tell u, il open a dispute and request refund, you guys are wasting my time.
  • ouch, that was a lot of time wasted then. :neutral:
  • rollback is pretty fast, i'm impressed by that
  • edited December 2018

This isn't a great way to handle this. If there was a bug that's one thing, but people's own negligence shouldn't be fixed by a rollback, punishing those who took the time to look at the housing menu.

I agree with this gentleman and this statement.
    Mayhem said:

O well I just got back in, I am sorry to tell u, il open a dispute and request refund, you guys are wasting my time.

The things with disputes is that the developer still gets to keep the money. The bank/merchant will issue you a refund but from their own pocket. It shouldn't be like this but that's how it works. ;/
    How far was the rollback, anyway? I only started playing today about 10 minutes before the servers went down, so...
  • I have to also agree with others, but at this moment i am happy and hope, that there will be atleast 3 hour rollback, because my golds and reagents pouch (16 hours of farming) dissapear from my bank and i want it back!

• It's one thing to find a way to give people back their stuff and I agree with that.

The way you're doing it though is completely wrong.
    People that pay attention and play the game were all grinding something maybe got some pvp kills, loots and rare drops during this time. I'd say find another way to do it or let the game have the consequences
    it's meant to have.

• Supreem said:

what a BS answer. several reports? i paid my taxes just fine.
  • Nice Job! so i lost my whole money in bank and also regents, because some kind of fuckup... I sayd Ok, lets farm it back...i was farming almost half of the stuff that i lost and now rollback and i am where i started,,,so i spend whole day for nothing....

I understand, that you have to fixed it, but with this attitude (rollback etc) you will lost a lot of players because of this....
  • AirasAiras Brazil
    edited December 2018
    Lost
    150 Wood
    and 5 Skill points.
    And 1 Str
  • Airas said:

Lost
    150 Wood
    and 5 Skill points.
    And 1 Str

Rough. While wood and skill gain is manageable but I'd be furious if I lost stats that are already a pain in the ass as they are and gaining them makes no point per skill used to gain said stat.
  • This has to be the worst reason I have ever heard of for rolling back a server. This makes no sense. Players did not pay their due taxes, so you roll back the entire server?

This is a terrible development action. Citadel is going to be racking up the negative reviews before the game is even pushed to regular go live.