Don't say the word LOU in LOA discord? Your splitting the community and pitting us vs eachother DEV

JoxxJoxx United States
So, Many of us have noticed you can not say the world LOU or legends of ultima in the LOA general discord without the comment being deleted and mssgd right away to not say anything about LOU and take it to LOU discord.

We talk about this a lot in the other discords how it seems you guys are pitting the 2 community's against each other,Why are you doing this?

The mods said its the devs decision that LOU can not be talked about in LOA discord. Are we not one community? Did we not buy LOA also?

I understand deleting any kind of negative comments about one of the servers, but thats not what is happening here. Many of us have gotten silenced,deleted and a PM numerous times just talking about a general mechanic or difference's of the servers.

Its a real shame you told the MODS to not allow the word LOU or Legends of ultima said in general discord, I thought we were all a UO loving small niche community. It's starting to make me hate LOA just because how discord is ran. You guys are either jealous of LOU or scared of it... You shouldn't of made player ran servers then.

This isnt just a one time thing, This constantly happens to many of us. That mentality will poison the community. Huge arguments have taken place pitting us agiasnt each other, all because of of your rules, the mods say you told them to enforce.
This is just 1 of the lesser extreme examples from today:
Example: I wish some more players were on but i guess there waiting for wipe
< ME> Go play lou while you wait
BOOM deleted with a PM from NOCTURN stating "Do not recruit for LOU" "II deleted your mssg"

The mods keep blaming you guys for this rule. So it it true? or are they just jealous of lou?

Comments

• edited August 30
    Community servers have their own channel where they can talk. In this case mod was fully in the right as you went to channel that is dedicated to official server discussions and decided to recruit players for unofficial server.
  • The reason there is that rule is because there were two channels on the LoA discord. General, which was limited to the official server, and Community Server Discussion, which was for the community servers like LoU. The rule not to post about community servers in the general channel was intended so new players do not get confused.

However, the community server discussion channel was often filled with people argueing and insulting each other. After the x-th time, the moderators got so tired of it that the channel was removed.

So this was never about Citadel Studios trying to prevent conversation about the community servers. We were welcome to talk about it, and even had our own channel for it. But the community was unable to talk about community servers without it turning toxic.
  • JoxxJoxx United States
    I wonder why LOU whos active community is bigger then loa's doesnt have this rule, Ohh thats right cause we rather be one community. Even if you dont recruit, If you say in passing "Oh, Lou server is putting in poison" you get deleted, pmed sometimes silenced.
    Lot's of us just now decided to leave the discord,Not help with the Tests and not play LOA when it comes out due to this kinda behavior. I guess we will just leave it at that. Good luck.

• Just request that the sub-channel is re-opened, and help encourage folks to cut out any arguements and toxicity should it arise. I'd love the community server channel to be re-opened. I think it was a pity it was closed.

Leaving the LoA channel to make a stand as if this was not the fault of the community is just silly. To me it seems you are doing the exact thing you are complaining about. The folks who took every opportunity to talk ill about other servers and modders are the people you should be upset with.

• JoxxJoxx United States
    edited August 30
    Yes, you have a point, we are all LOA players despite what server we play on..ppl shouldn't bash any of the servers. Witch, is kinda my point..
  • YorlikYorlik www.arcanima.org
    The reasons why this happened lie within the LoU management themselves.
    They have done a lot to damage the LoA community as a whole and the decision
    of the Discord moderators was appropriate, imo.
  • Yorlik full of it, as usual.

We actually don't want publicity in other people's Discord, reflects bad on us. We just don't have the time to chase community members around the Internet.

Glad to see the LOA crew handles it themselves.
  • Joxx said:

I wonder why LOU whos active community is bigger then loa's....

The only reason LOU population is higher than LOA is because LoA isn't in a persistent state with the final wipe still coming.

Personally, I'm addicted to LOU right now because of the knowledge that my characters and progress are permanent. But ultimately, I'll be transitioning to the official server once the final wipe happens, as I'm sure many others will too. Although I'm sure I'll revisit LOU from time to time because they definitely got a good project going.

To the point of the topic, I've personally been pmed about joining community servers and also have seen the bashing of official servers by community server players in the official server discord so I think it is appropriate to keep things separate.

Also as more people start playing and more community servers arise, if everyone is talking about random servers this will really cause confusion knowing what applies to the one you play on.

• beater07 said:

Joxx said:

I wonder why LOU whos active community is bigger then loa's....

The only reason LOU population is higher than LOA is because LoA isn't in a persistent state with the final wipe still coming.

I have to agree with this...
  • edited August 31
    LoU discord absolutely has the same rule. The enforcement might just be a bit more discretionary. For example, I myself was banned from that discord for mentioning people play a different community server while LoU was down for extended maintenance once.

There are legit reasons for the rule in LoA discord. It is a community ran discord server. And all of the community server admins themselves are fine with it.

We will always tell players interested in community servers where to go and how to connect. Always.

Just to be crystal clear, CS has zero to do with the rules or enforcement of them in the discord channel.
  • JoxxJoxx United States

LoU discord absolutely has the same rule. The enforcement might just be a bit more discretionary. For example, I myself was banned from that discord for mentioning people play a different community server while LoU was down for extended maintenance once.

There are legit reasons for the rule in LoA discord. It is a community ran discord server. And all of the community server admins themselves are fine with it.

We will always tell players interested in community servers where to go and how to connect. Always.

Just to be crystal clear, CS has zero to do with the rules or enforcement of them in the discord channel.

Thats not what you've said multiple time's.. but i rather not get into it cuz your one of the decent ones
  • Joxx said:

Thats not what you've said multiple time's.. but i rather not get into it cuz your one of the decent ones
    Whether it really was CS that enforced that rule or not i fail to see the problem. That Discord is created for official servers so talking about community servers there is obviously considered as off topic and against the rules.

You can always create Discord channel for your fav server.
  • LoULoU Legends of Ultima
    We are of the opinion that we want to keep server discussions in the appropriate Discord. LoU has it's own Discord, we don't need, nor want advertisement on other servers, and we don't tolerate ads for other servers in our own.

The only difference is, that our bot cleans up such stuff automatically, so there's no "evil mods" to blame.

We do appreciate enthusiasm and do encourage players to spread the word, but not in inappropriate places on the internet. However, tell all your friends to buy a pledge, that's cool.
    edited September 1
    If publicly stated "opinions" and overall record of actions would match that would all be nice and dandy ...
    LoU is not a victim.
  • JoxxJoxx United States
    Yorlik said:

If publicly stated "opinions" and overall record of actions would match that would all be nice and dandy ...
    LoU is not a victim.

I understand that, When its something just in passing or non harmful why should you get silenced?
  • edited September 3
    Hello! I helped to create and enforce this rule during my time as a moderator for LoA's Discord. The purpose of the rule is not intended to target LoU or any other community server. It is a general rule that was put into place to serve several purposes:

First and foremost, the prevention of inevitable insults, strife, and argument over community servers. This was a major point of contention in the chat, not only among the community, but with the administrators of the servers themselves. I've had to deal with admin fallout due to comments slipping through that slandered their reputation or cast their server in a negative light. Eventually, it led to the removal of a channel where free discussion of community servers was allowed.

We wanted to provide the opportunity for players to make up their own minds about their experiences playing the game on their server of choice, rather than potentially deprive one server or another of what might have been a new member that enjoys playing on that specific server due to negativity that is often rooted in personal bias and poor anecdotal evidence. Allowing the rampant trash talk to continue was not ideal and didn't help to foster a peaceful place where we can all come together as a community to share our mutual enjoyment of gaming.

Couple this with members of the community that feel the need to step into a verbal knife fight over their favorite place to play....well it's a recipe for disaster. We wanted the community to be a place where everyone feels welcome, included, and comfortable, free of verbal harassment or abuse over something as insignificant as a player or group of players that lack the discipline to treat others fairly because they share a different opinion than others. We were accused of "favoring" one server over another, and in an effort to curb these implications of bias, we effectively shut down discussion of community servers in general, including recruitment efforts, as a means of keeping the peace.

We also didn't want new players to the official servers to get confused when it came to items, skills, navigating the world, crafting, and other mechanics of the game. When a feature from one server not available on another gets mixed in with official chat, it can throw people off.

I am not going to single out any one admin or player, but the behavior exhibited during that time led down this path. It is not without just cause, and while I no longer moderate for the server, I stand by it as one of the authors of the rules. Expressing a criticism or opinion of a community server, more often than not, leads to a storm of despicable commentary from all sides is damaging to both the official community and the unofficial servers. Considering how unlikely it is that a community sever staff member is going to see the comments in the first place outside of their own Discord or forums, these arguments and debates lead nowhere and aren't conducive to having fun.

Hopefully this can provide some clarity for you. I am not aware of any developer position on discussing LoU on the LoA discord. As far as I know, it was solely our position to put an end to a rather unpleasant time for the community.

Cheers!

• GrungeGrunge Mountains
    edited September 11
    I think it's fine to keep comm servers away from the official channel, but the channel's name doesnt help at all, right? What community means? lol
    Right click the name of the channel, and rename to Official Servers General Discussion. Thats it.

PS: Yes, LoU is way funnier than the official server, this is a fact. UO > Default LoA so many times, plus the fact that you can macro (this is gold for older people and people with less time to play), it's sad to see that devs had the opportunity to make UO2 and kind of create a little Frankstein :(
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Good there is variety in the world. I would never play seriously a server where macroing is allowed.
  • Simply put you had jackasses coming in shit talking official trying to recruit for LoU and doing more harm than good. Said users got their messages deleted, some banned, and apparently some got their feelings hurt. Protip: you don't get new players by shit talking other communities especially the one making and testing the base platform your super "funnier" community server is based on, nor do you get people to join by being obnoxious either.
  • Simply put you had jackasses coming in shit talking official trying to recruit for LoU.

^^ And therein lies the overall problem. Certain members of the LoU community felt it necessary to bash the official development / community.

"You guys are either jealous of LOU or scared of it."

I've always found this part of the LoU idelogy funny. Somewhere in the history of community server development, someone came up with the idea that this was a competition. It is not. It IS one group of people who enjoy playing the LoA platform either on official or on one of the community servers. Same collective group of people with slightly different tastes.

For what it's worth I'm MUCH more excited to see what the community servers produce who aren't just a blatent ripoff of another developers game from 1990whatever. Anyone can copy and steal, true developers create.
  • STunTViSoRSTunTViSoR kale12@hotmail.com
    I have bad experience with LOU.. I bought the game a short time ago. First experience I was trying keys
    and I attacked without wanting. A minute later they blocked my access.
    This comunity is not serious, The administrator has shown me that he is incompetent I asked for an explanation because I am a new player. They say me '' we do not want you to play here''.
    This community server will end up rotting, Administrators dope their friends.
    It has already been revealed on some occasion that administrators have uploaded skills and have given objects.