Mages (I know, I know..)

HalarrHalarr Dasdweezle@Yahoo.com
Need major nerf. Or melee/archery needs major buff.

Granted, I'm not at beta end game, but watching mages kill greater demons in mere seconds while I'm left bashing on it for minutes, whilst frantically healing/curing/kiting is a bit disconcerting. Melee really doesn't seem to have any burst damage at all. I can understand them being powerful, but they almost seem even more powerful than UO mages at the moment.

Would be curious to know if there are more spells/abilities that will balance this a bit more in the future. Or if there is going to be a weapon enchant system that will give melee/archer characters a little more viability. After being in a group with a mage, while grinding for skill, I feel like dropping melee all together for evocation.

Comments

• TalonTalon Pacific Coast
    So basically there really is only one character build in game with some personal tinkering to suit you it seems?
  • ValianceValiance United Kingdom
    @Talon Correct
  • HalarrHalarr Dasdweezle@Yahoo.com
    Talon said:

So basically there really is only one character build in game with some personal tinkering to suit you it seems?

When did I say that? I don't recall saying anything that claimed that I only liked one build type.

In fact, I like many build types, including mages. Yet, I do want them all to be somewhat viable. I know I'm certainly not the only person who has noticed the imbalance.

My first character was a paladin type.
    My second will be a stealthy archer.
    I will likely make some sort of healer/mage after that.

• So far, in about a week and a half I have tried sword/board warrior with 50 manifest for buffs and recalls, shield almost seems pointless except for the stun and is slow and low on the DPS. If you're tanking in a dungeon where monsters cast spells..well armor doesn't seem to help.
    Working up a Rogue with hiding, archery and pierce which is fun and good damage but..in all honesty should be much higher damage output for having to be in melee range. Maybe a piercing tank would be better IDK.
    Mages can just drop bombs from range, their damage is fairly insane.
    One of the reasons I quit UO was there only being one viable PVP build, which was a hally mage.
    We will have to see how it goes I guess.
  • Miphon_CSMiphon_CS Citadel Team Administrator
    Look out for a Balance Patch on Test Server in the coming week.
  • SmokifiedSmokified United States
    Mele needs more abilities. When can we expect that on the test server?
  • Mages also die to mobs in like 3 hits..
  • GrayMouserGrayMouser earthworks0112358@gmail.com
    edited March 2018
    Dropping a Demon like say in Corruption with 100 piercing is within seconds, sometimes killing faster then mages. Having t4/t5 gear and being at end game skills should not take long to dispatch these foes. Try Champ spawn with said nerfs and youd have a 1 hour time addition even in big groups. All melee skills once GMed and with t4/t5 gear are super powerful, add crit on that and youll see that you're out damaging mages and this is sustained damage never letting up, where as mages need to med for mana.
  • That's what i Tried to tell everyone. You can't compare T1 piercer with 40 skill to a 100 mage with T6 staff... But everyone wanted a nerf! Now we have usual - Rogue piercer - most dmg dealer who doesn't need mana... So infinite dmg output... Warrior with infinite stuns. And a mage with limited amount of dmg he can put out, no mana, no dodge, no mana regeneration, no healing skill (because out of mana) with just really like 5 spells? :D
    The problem why warriors and archers were so much weaker, was crafting imbalance! When carpentry being the easiest skill, that allowed to make T6 staffs that gave mage max dmg, while Warriors and (because of dat Strand) Archers couldn't get their T6 weapons as easy... But nooo - let's just listen to usual WoW whiners who will always whine, in the end - because of their curved hands...
  • edited March 2018
    Sry @Rastik that is not true.
    Most mages also use Healing and Stuns.. complain at Supreems door why there is no build variety.
    Mages shoot you from the other end of the screen. 2 Mages is sure death. Regarding group vs group fights and pvp environment that is not just Arena, mages are not weak at all.

I'd still say melee Warriors need T4+ to be somewhat competitive.
  • RastikRastik Latvia
    edited March 2018
    By, to be somewhat competitive - you mean, 1 melee killing 2-3 mages? Most mages are pushed to healing (because of mana nerf). You can't use heal + dmg spells in one combat. You have to go either magic dmg + bandages, either manifestation+melee dmg...
  • edited March 2018
    Ofc you can it's called teamplay tactics for pvp ;)
    You're right if soloplay is involved and your build can't lead the way of the fight..
    If 1 melee kills 3 mages - lol they suck big time..
  • RelsanctRelsanct Costa Rica
    edited March 2018
    @Rastik I do not believe anyone was comparing T1 piercing vs T6 mage. Watched the tournaments with everyone on the same level and mages dominated. All pvp guilds pretty much run groups of just mages, and for good reason. It is true mages do not have good sustain, they can dump skills and they have huge regen time. That is not the issue though, the insane high amount of burst damage is the problem. They can simply lay down too much damage in a short amount of time. The only reason you are seeing a lot of piercing builds in pvp atm is because they are the only build with a small chance to kill a mage.

Edit; Also I understand it should be warrior > rogue > mage > warrior, however the gap between them is too huge. A skilled warrior should have some chance to kill a mage especially if the mage is unskilled or makes errors in the fight. Likewise a well played rogue should have a chance to kill an unskilled warrior.
  • OuijaOuija Canada
    hows everyones magic resist? sounds like magic resist is the problem.
  • I think @Grim_CS stated that Magic Resist is a bit weak.
    The massive problem is "chance" - pure RNG to resist anything atm.
    I´m confident CS will tweak that, otherwise PvP will be crap in CB2 :neutral:
  • EviloneEvilone A remote hidden bunker
    I think the stat wisdom should be reworked to give a bonus on spell damage or mana regen while meditating or something and a skill magic resistance should be added instead.
  • MotivMotiv United Kingdom
    edited December 2018
    I've always thought that games should have a system of limiting excessive damage over a period of seconds. It would stop edge case templates from becoming the norm and reduce gank damage from multiple players.

It seems fitting that armour rather than reducing damage, limited damage instead, same with Magic resist. Giving a ceiling of damage that can be taken, not reducing the damage taken over a period of a second.
  • Motiv said:

I've always thought that games should have a system of limiting excessive damage over a period of seconds. It would stop edge case templates from becoming the norm and reduce gank damage from multiple players.

It seems fitting that armour rather than reducing damage, limited damage instead, same with Magic resist. Giving a ceiling of damage that can be taken, not reducing the damage taken over a period of a second.

It's an inelegant and clumsy solution that makes no sense.
    Evilone said:

I think the stat wisdom should be reworked to give a bonus on spell damage or mana regen while meditating or something and a skill magic resistance should be added instead.

Says the mage who wont even waste the skill points on it and gleefully reap the benefits of even more spell damage.

Armor should mitigate direct damage spells and they should be dodgable. The fact armor doesn't to begin with is complete silly nonsense no one can muster any kind of argument to defend beyond its an old fantasy genre meme and that's just how its been since D&D. Would also solve the problem of mages riding around naked in stupid hats making everyone uncomfortable since an armor skill will be necessary.
  • @Krastor

Would lightning based spells do more damage to tin can warriors?