3 new players feedback, 50 hours played.

edited April 21 in General Discussion
Hi there Citadel! :-)
I would like to share with you some feedback from 3 new players as I believe it can be helpful in further development or just understanding (some) players. The feedback will be both positive and negative, but the goal for it is to be constructive.
I'll not go into small details as more detailed customization of chars, story behind quests on anything similar, I'll focus on (in my opinion) major points.

++The group:
3 new players, 2 of them grew up on Ultima, one was new to the concept. All of us have around 30-50 hours in. We all started this Saturday (18th of April 2020). One of us bought the game long time ago but didn't really play it.
I'd say we are casual players, with PvE interest but okay with some PvP as well :-)
We are not role-players.

++The expectations:
We expected an Ultima-like game with new graphics, perhaps few new features and a new map. We also expected a game in development and we were okay with some stuff missing for the moment.

++The start:
We had no technical issues starting or running the game (through Steam) = Positive feedback.
The game is most likely not the best optimized, as even if we have quite beast machines (I bought a high-end machine last month) we can see significant FPS drops with rain / night / around houses or even at the empty desert (?!). Not a big issue, but a point to make. Ultima players (age average 30+ don't always have the best PCs and you might be killing part of potential playerbase).
Start was fine, no big boring questline to start with, found the sewers and the graveyard and things were understandable :-)

++Progress:
We tested following chars - Warrior (1h + shield, 2h mace), Mage and later on we did stick with our main chars which were Tamer/Mage, Archer (with Hiding/Stealth) and crafts (Mining, BS, Lumber, Carp, Fabric, Insc). Our skills were around 60-65 on our mains. We explored a bit of the world and were able to farm Gargoyles at Halls of Corruption.

++Positive feedback:
Music - All 3 of us really enjoyed the music and the sounds overall. I tested the musicianship (we couldn't hear when someone else was playing :-( ) and overall the sound was nice, so good job there! :-)

Night - Despite the FPS drop, the night was really dark and torch made a real difference. The dawn was so nice to see and overall the light/dark effects were beautiful.

Some helpful and nice features we liked - Bag "menu" with a list of things, auto-loot, market board, profession starter quests, NPC chitchat between each other, house-item selling, skills and abilities, bonus stats on items (yeah we found some "arties", necklace etc), those were nice :-)

Crafting quests - Our crafted enjoyed the quests (BoDs it is called?) and rewards from it.

Crafting system in general - This was enjoyable for our main craft and for our side craft too.

Graphics - We enjoyed the graphics and the fluentness of the game (in comparison to UO).

Fighting and PvP - This seemed okay. We tried some duels, we got PKed two times, so all was fine and fun.

++Negative feedback:
Empty land - Oasis / Denir were the two we run through. The land is empty, like seriously empty! No herbs, almost no monster spawns. I am not sure if that is because of performance problems (as even with empty land we had FPS drops), but I believe throwing there some spawns can't take 2 years. This was an uncomfortable shock.

Missing info - When you have a complex game like this, you need a "wiki". We found one (https://legendsofaria.gamepedia.com/Legends_of_Aria_Wiki) but that was quite incomplete. For myself as a tamer, I couldn't find the stats of beasts so I had no idea about the strength (and even in game the stats of the beast don't say much). Often a year old post on Reddit provided more info than a wiki. I believe there would be people willing to update this for you.

Lack of pets and pet system - (That's me crying, the other two didn't want to touch the taming based on my complaints :-D). I was a long time tamer on multiple UO shards. The skilling up is a boring grind, I was ready for it and have no problems with that. However having 36 beasts to tame in total and 80+ is 8 of them in total is kinda bad. Lack of variety, often happening that the beasts are kinda weak or even similar in power (Brown Bear, Large Spider, Giant Scorpion, Giant Beetle) there were some differences, but all in all felt the same.

Pets perma-death. How on earth you copy-paste Ultima and add 5 lives to the pets and then they are gone. I dislike the idea.

Pet abilities missing - I might hope that at least some pet ability system will be developed, but at least basics could have been kept now. I am taming a Large Spider and he poisons me. I tame him and use as a pet, he never poisons anymore :-(. Development, exping, training my pets or increasing their stats - nope or at least not now, which was sad, but maybe it is in progress.

Targeting system - It was sometimes quite hard to target and keep track of it. Playing with more people and me swarming the mob with 5 bears (the guys loved me for that - joke) was challenging. Nameplates could have a color when in party (like UO) or a more clear indication or help here would be appreciated.

Archer shooting 1 arrow by pressing Q - Seriously? Just give him auto-shoot without us needing to make a macro for it. I read a lot of negative feedback towards nerf, but since we started after the nerf, Archery felt still a bit OP compared to melee/casting/taming. So far, at the same skill level, Archer was dealing most damage and had the best survivability and upkeep costs. But that macro or Q shooting is not a good idea.

Rogue was not able to use dual-wield - Maybe in development and we were expecting it sooner, but we saw a "Rogue" profession quest and wanted to test a sneaky bastard. However ended up with 1 dagger and a shield, as 2 daggers were not equippable :-D

Bloodlust - This whole system is still a question mark to all of us. No matter the skill (had 60 Martial Prowess) we were collecting Bloodlust and all abilities used just fizzled. None of us ever cast a single ability with that. I tried to search, but found nothing on that. Was just wierd.

Dungeon mobs grouping/spawn time - Damn this was horrible (speaking of Halls of Corruption now). I have no idea why the spawn time is like 2-3 minutes, but we were unable to move fast enough and were getting swarmed by the same mobs over and over again. I am not sure if a lack of other content is compensated here with a faster spawn (to satisfy more players at one place) but if you are with 2 or even alone, this is tough. More "rest" places, longer spawns, or stretching the corridor a bit.
Btw, we managed to clear the spawn event at the Halls and eventually summoned a big Gargoyle. After exhausting long fight and with a boss on around 5% HP, he just vanished (not ran away, just "puff" disappeared). I guess the timer ended. This was very demotivating.

Private servers - I am not that much against it, but I have a feeling that private servers might be depriving you of a playerbase. It would be better to find a way to involve people in development of one, official server for all the players.

++Our current plans:
We decided to wait some time to see what will be developed, but spend our times somewhere else for that moment. But we will be definitely checking the game on a weekly basis to see what was added and if this is being developed.
Major reasons for leaving at this point for us:
1) Empty land - Major point for all of us. We feel that adding more spawns through the land would make the world much more alive and wouldn't cost that much time. Even adding already existing mobs into areas, towns, etc. Make the world more abundant.
2) Lack of class progression - Perhaps a bit more abilities sooner (we didn't have the 15 levels for an ability), Bloodlust didn't work for us and Tamer's pets were one disappointment after another.

Simply said, we enjoyed what we saw first 50 hours and we were okay with some things being still developed. But the look and imagination of the future 50+ hours felt "empty" and that is why we decided.

++Thank you!:
I hope this doesn't sound like bashing on negative stuff, because it isn't meant so. We enjoyed the game, really. And actually we still are and we would love to play more. We will be checking the updates and will come back to check the new stuff for sure.
Thank you for making such a game and we wish you the best of luck improving and developing it! :-)

Comments

• BobGBobG United States
    I think the OP makes fair points. Similar, I want to love this game, and yet I just can't. The only thing keeping me going is OCD.

It is my opinion that there is a tremendous amount wrong with the existing systems and yet, patch after patch, the focus seems to be on bringing in new, half-baked systems.

That said, I get it. To be honest, I feel bad for the team because it seems like they are stuck in a 'chicken and the egg' scenario. It stands to reason they need to attract new players, to generate revenue, and further development, and yet they also need development, in order to attract said players.

Its possible I'm not your player, or maybe you're not my game, but damn it felt close.

• Im new at this game too. The game feels good to me. The problem is the OP class.

Everytime i go out of guard protection to farm or do anything, a PK comes invisible dealing 200% Damage, plus mortal strike or stun, and kills you with 3-4 hits.

There is no chance to defend yourself since when the PK appears, you already have less then halflife.

And surprisling, aginst to all ODDS, if you start to win the fight aginst the PK, he just becomes invisible again and run or atack you again dealing 200% damage plus mortal strike.

It is impossible to Farm, Collect, Gather or do anything else in this game.

Some of you will say: "Oh! But you can use Wards. Stop complaining"

The important thing is that im not a Mage. Most people of this game is not a Mage. The invisble detection system is frustating and almost do not exists. You detect the invisble when he is already right next to you ready to kill you.

I'm asking the competent staff/developers of this game to give players mechanics to survive and fight back.

obs: most PKs are really well equiped. Good for them. They played a lot to get into this position. But, it seems supereasy to kill players mining, farming mobs, gathering or anything else, while you have the best equipments of the game, invisible, watching your target gets halflifed to appear dealing 200% damage.
  • I *highly* recommend you try the Legends of Ultima server. It has the same map for the moment (Britannia map is being developed and supposedly releasing this spring) but it's livelier and they've done a good job capturing the old UO gameplay loops.
  • Sadly, this game has suffered due to many players and large guilds either taking a break or quitting entirely. The DLC dungeon has effectively become controlled by the last remaining large guild. Any smaller guilds have basically no chance of getting anywhere in this DLC dungeon. I have to ask, why is Citadel asking players for $20 when the dungeon content is basically inaccessible to most of the players?
  • applesmashapplesmash Eldeir
    Aildrik said:

Sadly, this game has suffered due to many players and large guilds either taking a break or quitting entirely. The DLC dungeon has effectively become controlled by the last remaining large guild. Any smaller guilds have basically no chance of getting anywhere in this DLC dungeon. I have to ask, why is Citadel asking players for $20 when the dungeon content is basically inaccessible to most of the players?

Agree...I've attempted monolith and Barkus many times - and - every...single...time, raided by a prominent red group. Seriously never completed any end game material in 4 months. And then they want to sell me what I worked so hard to get for 50P that I don't have. I've gotten all my Master/GM skills by buying....not playing the game.

I like PvP, but the way it is in the game today is a show stopper to anyone who isn't well established. How about a vengeance buff +50% damage against someone who murdered you in a dungeon for 30 min. Force them to go away for a bit so you can maybe re-equip and finish the content.
  • UmbraSpriteUmbraSprite pumilio1@gmail.com
    RE: name tags being a different color for pets

I agree here but wanted to point out if you hit the "insert" key you can cycle through NPC, Players and Self options for what name tags show. Unfortunately pets are included in NPC's though so you still have an issue there.

Also there are options for only your targets names to show. I prefer that. You can hit "shift" anytime to see them all and when you don't you will only see your target.

Not the ideal system but one of those features that isn't obvious unless someone tells you.
  • Yeah, i've heard that the PK situation on the US server is dire.

On the EU server we reached an agreement between PK guilds to avoid killing new players.
  • AmarokAmarok Crimson Sea Europe
    Ruggero said:

Yeah, i've heard that the PK situation on the US server is dire.

On the EU server we reached an agreement between PK guilds to avoid killing new players.

LoL - dream on
  • Amarok said:

Ruggero said:

Yeah, i've heard that the PK situation on the US server is dire.

LoL - dream on