PVP or Parasites?

Steyv_EyrwynSteyv_Eyrwyn nick.davison@hotmail.co.uk
PVP, or Player vs Player combat.

It's a pretty self explanatory phrase, but unfortunately my experience of PVP is very different. Every time I am engaged by another player it is against my will, and the attacking player has one objective, to kill me so they can take the loot that I have spent the last 30 to 60 minutes grinding for. Not really PVP, more like "Ganking", and it's a big problem.

Red players are actively patrolling mines and dungeons, looking for other players to kill and loot. Pretty much every time I go mining or to a dungeon this happens to me. It seems like this a full time occupation for a fair percentage of the player base.

To me, this is not really PVP in the truest sense, because these players are not it for the combat, all they want is easy loot, and the game mechanics are stacked heavily in their favour:

• Crafter gatherer characters are always going to be weaker combatants than a pure combat characters because the game does not differentiate between crafting and combat skills in terms of skill point caps.

• They tend to attack in dungeons when the victim(s) is/are engaged in PVE combat. This means that the target they are attacking is likely to have compromised health, stamina, and mana, and may also have to contend with PVE mob aggro on top of them (good luck with that).

• Stealth gives them an element of surprise.

More often than not, they use poison, stealth and pole arms to achieve kills so quickly that the victim is unable to respond.

For me, this parasitic play-style is something I find hugely off-putting as a new player. PVP should be consensual, and if it was implemented on an opt-in risk vs reward basis, in special PVP zones where nodes offered more loot in exchange for the risk of attack, then fair enough.

Personally I would like to see a third type of zone added to the game to address this problem:

Protected: Combat Prohibited.
Wilderness: PVE Combat Allowed.
Badlands: PVE and PVP Combat Allowed (Better Node Loot and Drops).

This would give players the option of whether or not they want to engage in PVP rather than it being a prerequisite of gathering materials. It would also make Legends of Aria a much more welcoming place to new players, and existing players who have no interest in open world PVP (Which seems to be a large percentage of the player base).

Comments

• You are literally asking LoA to return to carebearland settings.
    I agree PKing is still OP (you should have seen it when there werent any punishments for reds), but this should be controlled with code not geography - if so-called Escape Scrolls had a cast time less than glacial melt, you'd have a chance to, you know, escape.
  • Steyv_EyrwynSteyv_Eyrwyn nick.davison@hotmail.co.uk
    edited February 3
    I'm not asking for carebearland, just to be given an option of whether I want to PVP rather than to be forced into it. Nice info about the escape scrolls though, I did not know what those were for.
  • I'm not asking for carebearland, just to be given an option of whether I want to PVP rather than to be forced into it. Nice info about the escape scrolls though, I did not know what those were for.

Unfortunately, the escape scrolls are useless. As was mentioned the cast time is really long.
  • I'm not asking for carebearland, just to be given an option of whether I want to PVP rather than to be forced into it. Nice info about the escape scrolls though, I did not know what those were for.

The dev change the game to the current state because they are convinced by players that like to "pvp/gank" that it will bring in more players. It will never be like what it was year ago. Most people just login to pay their tax and logout. Game been dying a slow death. I can deal with gank/pvp part but I can't deal with them constantly changing the mechanic of it. I just notice I can't make something which I was able to make. They raise the skill level. It is minor issue. I can raise the skill up easily but it is annoying and that is my point. They change stuff like this all the time.
  • edited February 3
    This game won't ever recover. The game won't grow in numbers. Most players have been chased away from LoA and what players remain are mainly those in factions. Some of these faction players have reds that pk as well. Most of the reds aren't good at pvp, my guild destroys them on sight but I won't say the guild's name nontheless. The main problem with LoA is that the devs won't listen to anyone but themselves. And since this game was taken over from Shards Online about 2 years ago no real improvements were done. The devs have little to no coding ability and keep breaking everything they touch. The game is literally filled with bugs, broken mechanics and lack of content outside of boring faction flag running. Oh and a battering ram won't make factions any better the game is just eventually going to vanish..
  • Also @Steyv_Eyrwyn posting in here won't do you any good other than for venting purposes. The devs aren't useful, and to make matters worse they drink whisky while on live camera during a Q&A session, totally unprofessional.
  • Steyv_Eyrwyn This game will be turned off in less than 3 years. I'd cut your loses and move on. I started playing BDO on a private server and its 1000x times better than LOA. If you are determined to play LOA go play the legends of UO server the official servers are dumpster fires.