Times have changed.

First time poster, old-school UO player... and now an old dude. I’ve been debating if I want to try and lose myself, once more, into a game created in the likeness of a game that changed my life, my taste in games, and left me with VERY fond memories.

I’ve always hoped someone would update the graphics, but keep everything else. UO was my first MMO. It completely enthralled me. My first PK encounter (I was always a crafter) left my hands shaking. I survived, but it was intense, and it was awesome. Being able to lose everything absolutely made everything have more value. Reds would even role play sometimes. I remember trying to convince a PK (both of us in character) to not kill my packhorse and he could have everything else. I even had an in-game neighbor who was a red. Nice guy, and helpful.

But, now, players are different. The game industry has changed, more people game now, and trending games have changed the player’s mindset. Keeping in mind the internet and MMO were still pretty new, and just getting going in the mainstream.

Now, attitudes have changed. Battle royals are a part of nearly every game, shoehorned in, in many cases. MOBAs, death matches, kill counts, leaderboards, audio chat... a lot of things have changed the landscape. Griefers, trolls (not the regen kind!), and assholes in general are now rampant... everywhere, in every game.

It has become much more about “winning” and killing other players. Fortnite is popular for a reason, and it’s affected people’s expectations and ideas of what it means to play a game; of what people WANT TO DO in games.

PKs today are different than the days of yore. Or rather, their intent and motivation. I’d always welcome a Wild West environment, but things, people, have changed. Sadly, there’s no going back (though, that would mean dial up, if you did!)

I know things I’ve mentioned, existed long before, but not to the same degree. Things have changed.