Healing Skill is a Horrible Design

Healing as a Skill is by far the worst implemented skill in the game. It’s vital for survival. IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS WAY.

HEALING SKILL affects BANDAGE STRENGTH. Bandages are applied MID-FIGHT and also REMOVE POISONS(??) at 60, and RESURRECT (With Vigor) at 80.

This makes no logical sense - bandages DO NOT heal OR “cure” poisons. Their actually use is to CONTROL BLEEDING - which they don’t do (In Aria).

HEALING is horribly balanced, as well. You cannot miscast it, be interrupted, or lose effectiveness (outside of Poison spam), and the only drawback is a 10 second Cooldown.

HEALING also negatively impacts Alchemists. The market for POTIONS is greatly diminished due to HEALING & BANDAGES.

I say, REMOVE BANDAGAES as an instant form of healing, and also as a requirement for Fighters. REPLACE it with a much more in-depth GEARING and ENCHANTING system.

Crafted Gear:
- During CRAFTING, Crafters can create armor using MAGICAL PROPERTIES
- CHANCE at imbuing gear with 1-2 RANDOM EFFECTS
- based on 1) the power of the magical properties added
- and 2) the type of armor it is.

Heavy Armor, Healing Imbuements:
- Passive Health Regen (increased by Healing skill)
- Health per Hit (increased by Healing skill)
- Health per Kill (increased by Healing skill)

Heavy Armor, Non-Healing Imbuements:
- Reflect X% of Damage
- +X Armor Rating
- +X% Elemental Resistance
- +X% Arrow Resistance
- +X% Physical Resistance
- Reduce Cooldowns on Abilties by X%

Shields, Healing Imbuements:
- Health per Block (increased by Healing skill)
- Stamina per Block (increased by Healing skill)
- Mana per Block (increased by Channeling skill)

Shields, Non-Healing Imbuements:
- Reflect Physical Damage
- Reflect Magical Damage
- Absorb Magic
- Immune to X Type of Magic
- Resist Magic
- Resist Arrows
- Resist Physical
- Increase Armor Rating
- Reduce Cooldowns on Shield Bash/Vanguard

Light Armor, Healing Imbuements:
- Passive Health Regen (increased by Healing skill)

Light Armor, Non-Healing Imbuements:
- Evade/Dodge X% of Damage
- Passive Stamina Regen (increased by Healing skill)
- Stamina per Hit (increased by Healing skill)
- Stamina per Kill (increased by Healing skill)
- Stamina when Hit (increased by Healing skill)
- Reduce Cooldowns on Abilties by X%

Mage Robes/Clothes Imbuements:
- Passive Mana Regen - (increased by Channeling skill)
- Mana per Kill (increased by Channeling skill)
- Reduce interrupt chance by X%
- Reduce Cooldowns on Abilities by X%
- Absorb Magic

2 Handed Weapon, Healing Imbuements:
- Mana Tap, drains Mana (increased by Channeling skill)
- Drain Stamina (increased by Healing skill)

2 Handed Weapon, Non-Healing Imbuements:
- Elemental Damage
- Attack Speed Increases
- Increase Effectiveness of Weapon Abilities
- Lowered Ability Costs
- Reduces Cooldowns on Abilities
- Sunder Armor
- Chance to Bleed

1 Handed Weapons, Healing Imbuements:
- Lifesteal, steals health from target (increased by Healing skill)
- Mana Tap, drains Mana (Increased by Channeling skill)
- Drain Stamina (increased by Healing skill)

1 Handed Weapons, Non-Healing Imbuements:
- Elemental Damage
- Attack Speed Increases
- Increase Effectiveness of Weapon Abilities
- Lowered Ability Costs
- Reduces Cooldowns on Abilities
- Chance to bleed

Mortal Strike prevents Healing/Stamina/Mana regen.

Healing Skill Redesigned:
- BANDAGE HEALING REMOVED
- HEALING SKILL increases ALL Sources of Healing & Stamina
- Potions - Increases effectiveness of ALL Potions - Healing, Stamina, and Mana
- CURE Potions - Cures poison AND makes imbiber IMMUNE to poisons for X amount of time based off HEALING SKILL
- Reduces Cooldown on potions use by X amount of time based off HEALING SKILL, down to 20 seconds when at GM Healing
- Opens a larger Market for Alchemists

Channeling Skill Improvements:
- CHANNELING increases ALL SOURCES of Mana Gains

Comments

• I like the healing skill the way it is. I say if it's not broken, don't fix it.
  • I just listed issues with it. How is it not broken? I don’t mean to be rude but it seems most your comments on my posts appear as though you don’t actually read what’s written. Or just skim through? I clearly listed issues with it.

For PvP at least, it’s slows combat to a crawl. Combat has always been on the weak side in this game, I’d say it all needs refinement. But Healing sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

I assure you, many feel this way. Before the PvE zone thing happened, most people just turned away from dueling because killing someone 1v1 was a chore. Not saying the game should be balanced around 1v1’s, far from it, in fact.

But the way combat is set up makes the skill ceiling extremely low, especially now that Hybrid classes are gimped.
  • Once they release to tools you can make the game how you want it and run your own server. Until then enjoy the crazy train.
  • MograMogra US
    edited November 12
    I like Aria. I take breaks to see what’s new, and barely a damn thing since I left after the Mount/Death update. But I’m here to discuss it with others who like it. Get their feedback and such. Clearly this game could use any amount of feedback it can get with the forums as dead as they are.

But would I ever make a game using the tools they themselves have been struggling to make it with? Hell no.

LoA has promise, that’s why I suggest ideas - good or bad - maybe someone piggy backs off it and makes something amazing.
  • The official discord I hear is a better place for feedback. These forums seem to get ignored.
  • edited November 13
    Melee don't need any more nerfs. Guaranteed healing (which is reduced if including a cure, btw) is the only thing keeping my fighter alive.
    The only problem I have with healing is the bandage timer is STILL [2 years and counting] obscured by loot timer. Although, I guess a healing reduction depending on manifestation skill wouldn't be the end of the world.
  • OG Brum said:

Melee don't need any more nerfs. Guaranteed healing (which is reduced if including a cure, btw) is the only thing keeping my fighter alive.

I agree, Melee DO NOT need any more nerfs. My system will not nerf melee in the slightest, far from it.

Bandaging is an On-Use/On-Demand Skill. It can be nerfed to ~50% effectiveness by a level 30-60 Evocation spell which costs minimal mana and reagents, AND while bandaging has a 10 second cooldown, Poison has none. So 2 GM skills 100 Healing & 100 Vigor can be effectively reduced nearly at will to 50% effectiveness by a lvl 30-60 Journeymen Evocation Mage.

My system provides tons more functionality AND allows you to choose the way you want to focus healing on your character.

If you prefer to be in the melee, stack Health per Hit and put Lifesteal on your Weapon.

If you prefer Ranged or LoS, choose Passive Health Regen.

If you like high Stamina, go for that.

Etc.

My system makes Healing INCREASES ALL SOURCES of HEALING, as well as provide more functionality to POTIONS BY REDUCING THEIR COOLDOWN, and providing Alchemists a viable roll in a game that focuses on player crafting.

So by this, you have ACTIVE HEALTH GAINS BASED ON PLAYER CRAFTED GEAR (not static vendor bandages) that promotes you to fight the way you want to fight AND the higher your Healing Skill - the greater ALL sources of Healing and Stamina gains are PLUS you REDUCE POTION USE down to 20 seconds MAX at GM Healing, so this creates a strong market for Alchemists, as well.

Sorry for caps but I’m noticing people aren’t reading everything so, I’ll make it easier to focus.
  • Mogra said:

Sorry for caps but I’m noticing people aren’t reading everything so, I’ll make it easier to focus.

I read everything, but very quickly. It was long. I didn't like the idea of making it gear-based. What if I'm nekkid? Healing would benefit from some complexity like you outlined at the end (based on skill), but I see no reason why it can't be a bandaging task.
    If the idea is to give alchys more craftables, I'm sure people would have a few suggestions without the need to mess with any skill - Ward Evil for example..?

• MograMogra US
    edited November 13
    But why would you be naked? I don’t think the idea is for players to run around naked and have gear be meaningless. And the idea is not very complex, maybe on paper. But if you see armor crafted with a very easily readable tooltip stating “X% Health per Hit” I think you’ll find it’s not a very complex system at all.

For my reasons listed is why a simple
    Mechanic like the way bandaging is done, degrades Gameplay.

Currently, Melee vs Melee is essentially a battle to whittle someone down, MS, and pray you don’t miss. If you’re MS’d you run. If you survive you push 1-2 buttons and you’re essentially reset, but with less stamina. It’s the same for both sides.

In a large fight, your only options for resistance are armor types, plus Con/Wis. High wisdom can help you against a Mage Zerg, and Bandages can help you escape 1 assault, but for 10 seconds you’re useless.

A BASELINE SKILL for FIGHTERS that doesn’t promote you to actually FIGHTING to gain it’s benefits, is horrible design. The bandage heal, 10 second cooldown is an archaic design. It puts every Non-Mage at a disadvantage in its current state, and limits how we play our Melee Characters.

Health management is one of the key deciders in PvP and the system revolves around a very inflexible method for doing so. As long as Healing/Vigor remain the de facto way of healing for Melee the gameplay is going to suffer in this stagnant form of Stun/Burst/Run/Recover - or some very slow variation of that.
  • I think we should wait for the next major update to see how the changes will enhance fighters vs mages.

The tests were pretty interesting...
  • Talking about Bloodlust or something else? I haven’t heard/read much more beyond that. But if you’ve got a link could you share it? I’d be interested to see what changes are being tested or made.