Ruleset 3 - Power to the Players

MograMogra US
edited November 7 in General Discussion
The recent AMA shined some more light on the topic of Ruleset 3 and the Wilderness changes. What stuck out the most to me was the design for playing as a PK - particularly punishments for Murder.

What we know (sort of):
- When a PK Murders an Innocent, the Killer (if reported) gets their name broadcasted within the Local Region, along with an approximate location of the Murder.
- The PK is given a debuff (at this time, the length is unknown), preventing Fast Travel.
- The PK can lose Skill Points, the amount based on their Murder Count, IF their head is removed and turned in to a vendor at an Innocent Town.

For more info on Point 8:
https://www.legendsofaria.com/point-release-8-highlights-part-2/

According to the blog, the goal with this is to remove the “artificial restrictions” placed on players - simply for being a PK - prior to Ruleset 2 changes. However, my concern is that even though these restrictions have been lifted from the day to day PK lifestyle, they’re immediately reapplied after a Murder is committed.

I see these restrictions as 1) Far too penalizing, and 2) Focus too much on gameplay restrictions rather than survival and immersive gameplay.

I feel many would agree a healthy population of PK's would be around 10% of the total population, but what too many restrictions will - possibly - do, (using time played in Ruleset 1 as a reference) is either force Zerg PK groups, or eventually completely eliminate them from the game, as the risk will far outweigh the reward.

I believe the only way to balance the 2 sides is giving Innocents the means to mitigate their risks of being PK’d through. This can be done through - Items, Immersive Gameplay Features, an actual Guard Presence (not a Guard/Guarded Zone) - as well as Features to incentivize Criminals and Murderers to Steal/Murder focused targets.

What I feel won’t bring balance is returning to "Punishing PK's by Design". By this I mean punishing a PK for playing their role. The "artificial punishments" have not been removed, only the condition for when they are applied has been changed.

Instead of offering ways to adequately equip an Innocent player to survive in the Wilderness, the line of defense falls on the system itself - which only comes into effect when an Innocent is Murdered - as well as relying on harsh punishments that aim to prevent such risks from even being attempted.

——————————————

The issues surrounding PvP have always been blurred. While I understand the developers concerns for unrestricted PvP, I also have diffculty comprehening why they rely solely on an Automated Punishment System, rather than creating the Tools for us regulate PK's ourselves. The idea for P8 is not such a Tool - but an alteration of the previous punishments.

I have always felt Legends of Aria has a massive amount of potential. This is the type of game that will thrive on Player v Player made content, but the Tools have to be there for us to regulate OURSELVES.

Comments

• "When a PK Murders an Innocent, the Killer (if reported) gets their name broadcasted within the Local Region, along with an approximate location of the Murder."
    Where did this information come from ? Nothing was officially said about it.
  • DominusDominus I always start my day with a Special K, for breakfast.

"When a PK Murders an Innocent, the Killer (if reported) gets their name broadcasted within the Local Region, along with an approximate location of the Murder."
    Where did this information come from ? Nothing was officially said about it.

Something to that effect was mentioned in the reddit AMA.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/ds4o4m/i_am_derek_supreem_brinkmann_project_lead_for/f6n9xov/
  • Yes, all this was gathered from the AMA as mentioned, as well as directly following that via LoA discord and Miphon mentioned there would be a Fast Travel debuff for PK’ing but the details were not explained. Search Miphon in LoA General - Tuesday Nov 5 5:50PM for reference. I don’t know how to drop SS in here.

Also, this isn’t a rag on CS. I’m just concerned this is going to go down the same path we did with PK’s before. Limiting mobility as punishments instead of adding new features for Innocents to protect themselves.
  • Mogra said:

The recent AMA shined some more light on the topic of Ruleset 3 and the Wilderness changes. What stuck out the most to me was the design for playing as a PK - particularly punishments for Murder.

What we know (sort of):
    - When a PK Murders an Innocent, the Killer (if reported) gets their name broadcasted within the Local Region, along with an approximate location of the Murder.
    - The PK is given a debuff (at this time, the length is unknown), preventing Fast Travel.
    - The PK can lose Skill Points, the amount based on their Murder Count, IF their head is removed and turned in to a vendor at an Innocent Town.

For more info on Point 8:
    https://www.legendsofaria.com/point-release-8-highlights-part-2/

According to the blog, the goal with this is to remove the “artificial restrictions” placed on players - simply for being a PK - prior to Ruleset 2 changes. However, my concern is that even though these restrictions have been lifted from the day to day PK lifestyle, they’re immediately reapplied after a Murder is committed.

I see these restrictions as 1) Far too penalizing, and 2) Focus too much on gameplay restrictions rather than survival and immersive gameplay.

I feel many would agree a healthy population of PK's would be around 10% of the total population, but what too many restrictions will - possibly - do, (using time played in Ruleset 1 as a reference) is either force Zerg PK groups, or eventually completely eliminate them from the game, as the risk will far outweigh the reward.

I believe the only way to balance the 2 sides is giving Innocents the means to mitigate their risks of being PK’d through. This can be done through - Items, Immersive Gameplay Features, an actual Guard Presence (not a Guard/Guarded Zone) - as well as Features to incentivize Criminals and Murderers to Steal/Murder focused targets.

What I feel won’t bring balance is returning to "Punishing PK's by Design". By this I mean punishing a PK for playing their role. The "artificial punishments" have not been removed, only the condition for when they are applied has been changed.

Instead of offering ways to adequately equip an Innocent player to survive in the Wilderness, the line of defense falls on the system itself - which only comes into effect when an Innocent is Murdered - as well as relying on harsh punishments that aim to prevent such risks from even being attempted.

——————————————

The issues surrounding PvP have always been blurred. While I understand the developers concerns for unrestricted PvP, I also have diffculty comprehening why they rely solely on an Automated Punishment System, rather than creating the Tools for us regulate PK's ourselves. The idea for P8 is not such a Tool - but an alteration of the previous punishments.

I have always felt Legends of Aria has a massive amount of potential. This is the type of game that will thrive on Player v Player made content, but the Tools have to be there for us to regulate OURSELVES.

TOTALMENTE de acuerdo contigo.
  • Deadmau5Deadmau5 ...
    edited November 11
    Ok, I hate random pks but I am going to say losing 5 points in a GM skill on an official server... What crack pipe are the devs here smoking? I never GM a single skill on an official server cause I got a life BRO! To think they could lose those last 5 points ... We will have a bunch of murder monkeys who buck the system by only killing 1 person per day to avoid the red flag and skill loss murder counts should be perm
  • Power to the people *fist pump* black panth....

Wrong forums, my bad!
  • Deadmau5 said:

Ok, I hate random pks but I am going to say losing 5 points in a GM skill on an official server... What crack pipe are the devs here smoking? I never GM a single skill on an official server cause I got a life BRO! To think they could lose those last 5 points ... We will have a bunch of murder monkeys who buck the system by only killing 1 person per day to avoid the red flag and skill loss murder counts should be perm

I almost feel this would be a success in some people’s opinion. If PK’s only commit 1 Murder per Character per 24 Hours, that is. But that’s what I mean when I say artificial restrictions aren’t the answer. They weren’t the first go around, I don’t see how this is any different. Being a PK Character should be a completely different game experience than playing an Innocent. The difference should NOT only be noticed AFTER the Murder is committed.
  • edited November 12
    There's no great mystery as to how to make this work. You can't have PK's and carebears exist and be happy on the same server. You need separate PvP and PvE servers. Holy crap, EQ figured this out 20 years ago. WoW has always done it with great success. EVE is the closest thing I can think of where both types play together, but it's an anomaly, and still has a very large high sec area. It boggles my mind that crazy developers are still trying to make both kinds of players satisfied on the same server. Not that any of this probably matters now, considering the state of the game. Way too late.
  • I don’t see this game attracting the typical MMO Crowd that exists in games like WoW and ESO.

There’s a community of players who like the risk. Meaningless death is boring for many of us - even if all you really lose is armor/weapons/minimal amount of gold.

That said, while we like the risk, the punishments for being an evil character are questionable, and that’s what I’m more concerned with.