Wilderness changes

“We put these changes to our Experimental Server for feedback from the community and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.”
“Guard Protected areas are limited exclusively to Towns and Cities.”

This is simply not true!
While reading the forums and Discord over the last couple of weeks you could clearly see that the majority of players :
a) doesn´t like the Wilderness changes at all (mostly pre-steam players)
b) wants to get back to the pre-steam wilderness/guarded ratio and finds total wilderness too harsh (mostly elder players and also pvp supporters)
and c) a small minority that welcomes complete wilderness. A lot of these people have already said, that they won´t come back due to perma-statloss.

So. You are making the next big mistake and ignore the opinion of your player base again. Even when you said you will listen this time.
I´m not saying what decision might be right or wrong but it is simply not true that full wilderness has an “overwhelming positive feedback”!

/Herman

Comments

• So your thesis is that they don't listen to the players on forums or discord and your solution is to post this grievance on the forums?
  • lol, I have said this So many times on here.

You just can't please everyone...
  • edited October 26
    I thought the changes were pretty amazing, and I'm not even a red pker. I prefer the anti route, like Dark Empire on Great Lakes. Strict, but not too strict and risk vs. reward seems fairly balanced. Makes gathering a large party to hunt for the reds worth it... Maybe I'm missing something. I dunno. Definitely got my attention.

• As for me I fully support the return of the wilderness. I'm sure it will bring back the previous level of online.
    When the karma system was working and the most part of the map was wildreness it was hard for me to push my way to the Valus Bank, because there were a lot of people. On the other hand, when the last changes with the wilderness were introduced, the online became less, much less.
    For example, after the change wilderness ,I lost interest in the game and stopped playing it. !!! Although my character is not a PK and I'm not going to become one!!!
    Now , I see that there risk again appears in this game. That's cool. So I will play LoA again (Although I my character is innocent).
  • When you're dead you're dead there is no coming back from that. All the flopping on these rules has caused the player base to leave in mass. I doubt any change will resuscitate this dead game. You generally get one chance in life and the developers of this game blew it. Making the wildness a PVP zone or not will not fix the massive amounts of other problems the developer is ignoring. I suspect they lack the funds and manpower to correct the real issues
  • Deadmau5 said:

When you're dead you're dead there is no coming back from that. All the flopping on these rules has caused the player base to leave in mass. I doubt any change will resuscitate this dead game. You generally get one chance in life and the developers of this game blew it. Making the wildness a PVP zone or not will not fix the massive amounts of other problems the developer is ignoring. I suspect they lack the funds and manpower to correct the real issues

Is that why your name is Dead?
  • I had the most fun back in December 2018- January 2019. Bring that patch back.
  • Grimfall said:

I had the most fun back in December 2018- January 2019. Bring that patch back.

+1 The old wilderness system was the best.

There was a good balance between guard zones for vendor shops, housing, etc., but 70% of the game was wilderness.
  • KingslyKingsly Blue Boar
    I wouldn't worry about it because it seems like they have no clue on the direction of this game and it's changing drastically every month. Deadmau5 is spot on with this his post...
  • The real problem is that they performed massive wounds to the player base on multiple occasions, whether it was creating a new server and abandoning their kickstarter/early access base, attempting to put power hour potions on the cash shop which many took as pay-to-win, butchering pvp with the changes to mounted combat, and then removing all risk from the game by making only the barrens a wilderness zone.

When each of these events happened, a chunk of the player base was lost. Those players haven't just been waiting around in protest, ready to join back in if the game returned to what they wanted it to be. They went off and found other games to play instead. They saw what this game really was - a game with extraordinary potential that was and still is mismanaged by developers that don't listen to the player base, don't know what they're doing and are unwilling to make the game they originally set out to make. At this point, there's no turning back. There's no bringing back those players that left with the sourest of tastes in their mouths. The players who wanted to play this game tried it, and wanted to love it, but were only devastated and kicked aside time after time, bad decision after bad decision, until they finally left.

There is no hope for this game anymore. Each chance Citadel Studios had to make things right they made another bad decision instead. All that's left is a small fraction of the player base that is just one more bad decision away from splitting again. Merging the servers isn't going to help. VE was dead before it was merged into AS. AS was practically dead as well, only slightly more active. Merging them into this Ethereal Moon server isn't going to stimulate the population, it's going to bring maybe a few dozen people into it.

TL:DR - Citadel Studios doesn't know what they're doing. As long as they're in charge, there's no change good enough that's going to bring players back and the niche audience that this game attracts has already been burned and dissipated into other games.
  • Back in December2018-January 2019 there were good amount of players but CS does nothing to keep them. The guy above is right on everything. I don't think those players are not coming back. Those were the players they should have try to keep. I probably not going to place my plot on the new server either to avoid having to log on every 4 weeks to pay the tax. If I ever want to place it i know there will many spot available given there are not that many players.
  • +2 The old wilderness system was the best.

There was a good balance between guard zones for vendor shops, housing, etc., but 70% of the game was wilderness.
  • I’m of the group that loves this change.

Less people able to camp dungeons 24/7 (*cough* Corruption) and more areas for Reds to hunt = more ground to cover.

Not to mention the pre-steam punishment for being Red actually punished the player for simply being Red vs punishing them for being defeated.

The only concern I have is: if Reds get skill loss for dying w/ murder counts, will their targets be less risky? Instead of seeking a good fight will they focus on softer targets; ie miners?

At the end of the day, I imagine this will be a good thing. The Red population should be the minority (say < 10%) where as before they were damn near 50/50.

Anyway, couldn’t be more excited to return to LoA.
  • @not_Lorn

The primary targets for reds has always been "soft targets" , even more so now with the risk of loosing skills/stats.

Don't expect an even matched 1v1 if you are out alone. Gank squads will be the norm.
  • edited November 5
    Going to be awesome taking a bag full of 50 plat to my favorite vendor to buy a rare and get ganked by reds who are camping the area because they know it's a hot spot for sales.

/endsarcasm

I can assure you that this will only happen to me once in this game. After it happens, I will delete the game and never come back. I've already cancelled my sub to this game because of the Wilderness change (it's stupid to have EVERYTHING outside of towns be Wilderness). The next is the game itself. It's only a matter of time at this point. Very disheartening, to be honest.
  • _not_Lorn_not_Lorn United States
    This forum is a nightmare. Had to remake my account.

@Kraxis

Not always. Playing since before launch my experience varies. I noticed usually the solo Reds would target gatherers, but the groups would hit the dungeons/awakenings/Grotto, etc.

The difference now is that before, the punishment for being Red was limited travel. Punishment was put on you simply for choosing to be Red and none was put on you for actually taking Red-only risks.

With the punishment being skill loss it might be that only the most avid PK’ers play as Reds, whereas before a lot of players just went Red because it was easier. Those same players might try Red again, get killed, and find the skill-loss to be too much of a headache and stick with GvG/anti-PK.

We never had a gatherer die in our Guild simply because we protected them. And we did it in a way that made the gatherer appear alone. On top of that, they had plenty of warning if a large group would arrive, but I honestly can’t say one ever did.

I don’t know, but either way - the Wilderness Changes are the main reason me and my friends are back.