Been gone a couple months and am a bit confused...

I'm thinking about coming back to the game. And I've been glancing over the LOA News and I'm a bit confused about what's going on with the game.

Sounds like at one point they were thinking about (or implemented, not sure) basically making most of the game open to safe PvE. And have more recently decided to back track that and are doing the opposite and making only towns safe zones (going more original UO style it seems). Is that a correct assessment

And Azure Sky and Verdant Earth are in a cluster now and it sounds like there are two other servers and they are working out how to merge them? I'm still a bit confused on that.

Also what are they chances my house still exists after a couple months? Last time I logged in it seemed rent collection was frozen.

Comments

• Rappy88Rappy88 Amber Moon, (Australia)
    Hi mate,

Only been playing for a week myself so I'm probably not the best person to answer your questions but I'm bored at work. PvP has been restricted to one area only (as in open non consensual PvP) however you can still do allegiance PvP from the look of things. They did say that they will keep housing but I think it was for a limited time though so might be worth logging on.
  • NecroNecro Azure
    edited October 10
    There really is no pvp anymore but hoping that will change now. I am actually a little excited. I never thought they'd listen to us.
  • And i am hopeing they don't.
    I think what you describe as PvP is just ambush other people, or you wouldn't want a 95% PvP map.
    If you wanted to PvP, the allegiance system allow you freely to attack others from other sides.
  • Artificial limitations are bad. Okay, you can PvP with allegiances, but no allegiance means a PvP opt-out which was never a good idea for a realistic experience. Non-consensual PvP with punishments for PKs can be a lot of fun. Plus this makes PKKing a thing again. Just stepping foot out of town will raise your heartbeat now hehe. Embrace the fear.
    And I say this as a PvEr (PKKer in UO)
  • Took me a couple weeks, but finally logged in to the game.

Sadly both of my homes have vanished. I was expecting that, but still hoping I'd be lucky and they'd still be there.

Money confuses me. I have a lot of gold and some platinum. This values mean nothing to me now though. I put 4,000 gold in my back expecting it to turn into 4 plat, but it didn't. So does that mean it takes 10,000 gold to equal 1 plat? That doesn't really make much sense to me.

There is something telling me to open my professions tab and pick a profession. I thought this was a skill based game, so not sure what this is all about. I tried to pick the fighter profession, but I seemed to need some martial skill. There was a soul stone in my bag, so I double clicked that to see what would happen. Voila, that gave me 80 martial skill points. So I was able to pick my fighter profession. I'm master level in slashing, archery, vigor, healing, martial, and blocking.

I see there is a journeyman and master fighter tomes in my bag. So I tried to use them. But nothing happened. I guess I have to visit my trainer and see what he wants me to do. Apparently he wants me to scum around the newbie sewer and kill some rats. Oddly the quest doesn't track my progress, says I need to kill 20 rats, lurkers, and bats. I was killing them for a short bit, but had no clue how close I was to finishing the quest or if I was even getting credit towards my quest until it suddenly binged and said to go back to my trainer. Progress indication would have been nice.

Went back to my trainer. Apparently he has more quests for me to do. I have no idea to what end I'm working on these quests for. I'll work on this later.

I'm still on Verdant Earth. I'm being nagged to transfer my character to Ethereal Moon. I see there is also an Amber Moon server. I have about 15 platinum on one of my characters. I haven't looked at all my characters yet. I think I lost most of my money I had left in one of my houses. But I looked at the house and plot prices, so looks like I'll have enough money for a small house. I must admit when I first logged and saw my house was gone, I logged right back out. But after a few minutes I logged back in. I'll try giving this another try.

I do wish there was some sort of tutorial for old players trying to return. I feel the changes to the game are pretty significant in just the last 3 months or so. I barely recognize what's going on now.
  • AspetraAspetra USA, Maine - Verdant Earth
    Verdant Earth and Azure Sky merged in to one server cluster awhile back. Amber Moon was the new server created for the Steam Launch. Ethereal Moon is the brand new server created yesterday that ALL servers are merging in to. After the upcoming PR 8 patch, Verdant Earth, Azure Sky, and Amber Moon will no longer be functioning servers to play on, only transfer your stuff from them.

Money was re-worked just before Steam, they removed copper from the game, and it is now just Plat and Gold. --- 10k gold = 1plat

The Profession system is what replaced the skill books that you used to get from Awakenings and as random drops off high tier mobs. It is how you unlock the ability's now.
    Koda said:

Took me a couple weeks, but finally logged in to the game.

Sadly both of my homes have vanished. I was expecting that, but still hoping I'd be lucky and they'd still be there.

Money confuses me. I have a lot of gold and some platinum. This values mean nothing to me now though. I put 4,000 gold in my back expecting it to turn into 4 plat, but it didn't. So does that mean it takes 10,000 gold to equal 1 plat? That doesn't really make much sense to me.

There is something telling me to open my professions tab and pick a profession. I thought this was a skill based game, so not sure what this is all about. I tried to pick the fighter profession, but I seemed to need some martial skill. There was a soul stone in my bag, so I double clicked that to see what would happen. Voila, that gave me 80 martial skill points. So I was able to pick my fighter profession. I'm master level in slashing, archery, vigor, healing, martial, and blocking.

I see there is a journeyman and master fighter tomes in my bag. So I tried to use them. But nothing happened. I guess I have to visit my trainer and see what he wants me to do. Apparently he wants me to scum around the newbie sewer and kill some rats. Oddly the quest doesn't track my progress, says I need to kill 20 rats, lurkers, and bats. I was killing them for a short bit, but had no clue how close I was to finishing the quest or if I was even getting credit towards my quest until it suddenly binged and said to go back to my trainer. Progress indication would have been nice.

Went back to my trainer. Apparently he has more quests for me to do. I have no idea to what end I'm working on these quests for. I'll work on this later.

I'm still on Verdant Earth. I'm being nagged to transfer my character to Ethereal Moon. I see there is also an Amber Moon server. I have about 15 platinum on one of my characters. I haven't looked at all my characters yet. I think I lost most of my money I had left in one of my houses. But I looked at the house and plot prices, so looks like I'll have enough money for a small house. I must admit when I first logged and saw my house was gone, I logged right back out. But after a few minutes I logged back in. I'll try giving this another try.

I do wish there was some sort of tutorial for old players trying to return. I feel the changes to the game are pretty significant in just the last 3 months or so. I barely recognize what's going on now.

• Back on the LoA bandwagon with these PvP updates. Now we just need Mounted Combat back and we'll be back on track.