Wait... Raph Koster said what about LOA?!

DominusDominus I always start my day with a Special K, for breakfast.
Just the last sentence in this article.

https://www.gamesradar.com/ultima-onlines-lead-designer-is-working-on-a-new-mmo-form-his-new-studio/

This man is a god to me. If he plays Legends of Aria and thinks it "lovely"... (ok, it's slightly ambiguous) perhaps there is more potential here than I realised. Maybe we were all a bit too hasty giving up on LOA so soon, I've seen them do great things in the past. I'm gonna to reactivate my account and give it another shot.

uh..Good fk'ing lord, there a chance I probably told Raph Koster his ideas to improve LOA were shite on this very forum! ... FML .. I'm gonna close my account.

Comments

• edited October 6
    Methinks he might be referring to LoU and the ability to have community modded servers as there's nothing really groundbreaking design wise with the core servers.

If anything the main servers regressed into a more generic post WoW PvE style. Hell his writings on MMOs have always been big on player self agency and freedom which leads to unintended aspects to planned systems (think some of the old hybrid builds that got creative with skills and prestige abilities like putting 30 points into heavy armor and having a full cloth mage that could Vanguard for example). In the core game adding the profession path has even regressed that agency into railroading the player into traditional classes.

As a side note he's active on Reddit as /u/RaphKoster as had him pop up in some threads I've started discussing his books, blogs, and other design stuff without having tagged him. Guy is definitely a design god with really insightful content.

He's already got a nice solid team assembled from this and is already in a much better place having raised investor seed money and not just announcing some vague crowdfunding project.
  • "Truly creative designers seldom use other games for inspiration"
    ~Raph Koster
  • edited October 7
    Oh he's been active in the comment section on https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/484264/raph-koster-ultima-online-and-star-wars-galaxies-designer-has-raised-2-7m-towards-new-mmorpg-m/p2

also in the various threads on /r/mmorpg and such https://www.reddit.com/user/RaphKoster/

Always appreciate that he doesn't beat around the bush or dance around with ambiguous language when presented tough questions, couple that with his books, online writings, and solid catalog of projects he's been involved with this one has me more cautiously optimistic than the bulk of the failed, delayed or stagnating crowdfunding projects.

His blog https://www.raphkoster.com/ and books should be a must read for aspiring designers to armchair critics.
  • DominusDominus I always start my day with a Special K, for breakfast.
    @Fredrick Kroger I thought I'd read every scrap of writing from him, but I didn't know he was on Reddit. thanks!

One of the things I've liked about Raph is he seems to welcomes ideas being attacked and deconstructed, and recognizes it's an important part of the design process.

It's been a while since i read these forums, but I see CS have practically banned that kinda subversive critical thinking around here, wtf is soapboxing and dev baiting? is there a specific definition or is it just a subjective catch-all? and they've disabled comments in the feedback & suggestion forum?

So essentially they've given into every PvE demand for safe spaces over the last 5 years ingame, and on the forums too.

That ain't lovely. Must have been another fake Raph Koster that said that.

• Dominus said:

@Fredrick Kroger I thought I'd read every scrap of writing from him, but I didn't know he was on Reddit. thanks!

One of the things I've liked about Raph is he seems to welcomes ideas being attacked and deconstructed, and recognizes it's an important part of the design process.

It's been a while since i read these forums, but I see CS have practically banned that kinda subversive critical thinking around here, wtf is soapboxing and dev baiting? is there a specific definition or is it just a subjective catch-all? and they've disabled comments in the feedback & suggestion forum?

So essentially they've given into every PvE demand for safe spaces over the last 5 years ingame, and on the forums too.

That ain't lovely. Must have been another fake Raph Koster that said that.

Yep have a great deal of respect for the man and his recent studio seed invest has me holding on to a shred of faith that something unique may be in the pipeline.

You're right about him being open to engaging with even the most vocal of critics and actually being able to back up what he's saying with plenty of examples. He doesn't try to silence people or just pay lip service.

Hell when he replied to me on Reddit it wasn't even that I tagged his username or on a sub that he would be lurking in likely. No he actively searched out people mentioning him and his writings who have genuine interest in game dev/design topics and engages with them, it's really the polar opposite of how most people who have a resume and catalog like his act. He's earned all the respect and faith people put into him. Others... not so much.