Soulstones - Should they be craftable?

From my reading of these forums, the main reason why people leave this game is because Build-XYZ isn't the best build anymore.

People spend a considerable amount of time getting their characters maxxed out to the Build of the Month, get angry when things change and walk away.

I feel like I can see both sides of the story.

People want to compete and get frustrated when their build becomes worthless.

The devs however, because of their "agile" development strategy, need to constantly make changes.

Soulstones are a great compromise. Rather than waste the time you spent levelling up a skill, you can port it into a soulstone and transfer it to another toon or just store it away for later.

The problem however is the cost of soulstones.
Currently they cost 600 gems and 1200 coins. 600 gems costs $10.
So storing the 6 skills in a build would cost you $60.

There are people who are happy to pay real money for things like this.
There are also people who will never pay for these and consider the initial cost of the game their only spend.
The games needs a mix of both types of people.
It needs the latter type to help provide the critical mass population.

To cater for everyone I think it should be possible to craft soulstones.
Yes, you can still buy them from the cash shop if you choose to, but also make it so that a 100 smith, carpenter, or alchemist can craft them with certain rare materials.

Should empty soulstones be something that can be sold ingame. I'm not sure.

Would I go out of my way to craft them, absolutely.

To summarise:
Making soulstones craftable would provide an option for helping to retain players when things change.
Retaining players is a good thing.

Comments

• From my reading of these forums, the main reason why people leave this game is because Build-XYZ isn't the best build anymore.

People spend a considerable amount of time getting their characters maxxed out to the Build of the Month, get angry when things change and walk away.

For me it was 6 character builds, add 2-4 months of grind time for each toon.
    Those builds weren't "Changed" they were either removed or nerffed to useless.

Stealth builds - 50% miss rate when coming out of stealth to attack even at GM
    Lance builds
    Heavy Armor prestiges
    Heavy Armor Builds
    Melee builds were gimped to almost no playable builds other than 1 or maybe 2- Being crossed with meta mage builds..
    Archery
    Archery prestiges
    Archery bow abilities
    Critical hits
    Light armor builds
    Armor absorb functions
    Stats not yielding enough for said builds other than magery
    Weapon accuracy even when GM nerf
    the simple fact that when you have NO armor on, your character has 30 or 40 defense, but a full suit of heavy armor only yields +20, so your skin is tougher in theory than armor.
    The list goes on....
    All nerffed or removed.

it wasn't about having the best build. in that time (CB2) it was about having multiple builds- in fact most if not ALL builds at that time worked amazingly in PvP and PvE. take that away from us and start ignoring facts, and we'll leave. and we did.

Sure some builds had bugs and weren't polished but it was super close. at one point this game felt 90% complete and completely balanced for ALL BUILDS. now tell me what's the meta? mages? mages builds with some aspects of other builds but still mages.
  • i think that limiting the use of soulstones make the game more fun but them have only one use, maybe the price can be lower.
  • Favor said:

From my reading of these forums, the main reason why people leave this game is because Build-XYZ isn't the best build anymore.

For me it was 6 character builds, add 2-4 months of grind time for each toon.
    Those builds weren't "Changed" they were either removed or nerffed to useless.

it wasn't about having the best build. in that time (CB2) it was about having multiple builds- in fact most if not ALL builds at that time worked amazingly in PvP and PvE. take that away from us and start ignoring facts, and we'll leave. and we did.

Sure some builds had bugs and weren't polished but it was super close. at one point this game felt 90% complete and completely balanced for ALL BUILDS. now tell me what's the meta? mages? mages builds with some aspects of other builds but still mages.
    Point taken. It really does sound like things were going well back then.

Hopefully the devs will take this into account and balance the builds again.

When they do I hope I can craft soulstones so that the time I spend levelling skills for certain builds now doesn't feel wasted.

Apologies for the rushed response, about to go to work.
  • no need to apologize. it's the devs that need to say it XD instead they will ban people who are "Toxic" NOW but back then they didn't... they let the real toxic people roam freely and now all those people/trolls are almost gone, and the ones that are here are either old timers from CB1-2 letting their frustration out and are now considered the "Toxic" ones. odd...
  • Favor said:

no need to apologize. it's the devs that need to say it XD instead they will ban people who are "Toxic" NOW but back then they didn't... they let the real toxic people roam freely and now all those people/trolls are almost gone, and the ones that are here are either old timers from CB1-2 letting their frustration out and are now considered the "Toxic" ones. odd...

Bingo the people they used to rely on for bug reports, balance testing, theory crafting, DM back and forth with on discord about issues, and hell pretty sure some of the people along with things like the UHHH player made PvP arenas are being used in the game trailer and promo material as well.

C'est la vie.
  • lol and that video states "These players didn't know they were being recorded"
    Except we did lol
  • Regarding the OP though, there was a point where skill/stat grinding only took around 3 hours at most (and that's after being GM) when making a new toon it was much easier to maintain your stats throughout your characters journey getting to 6xGM. even if you fudged up during the process and wanted to change your characters skills, it was easy enough to cap what you needed in roughly the same amount of time, 3ish hours or so of decent grinding. but at that time grinding was fun. dungeons with no broken los and aggro range. archer type mobs didn't shoot on the run. you could actually play a melee toon and do well and were needed in most group set-up(s).

So there wasn't a point for the stones. Now that their a thing, I dunno. feels out of place either way.
  • How many other threads will I come across that is Uhhh members bragging about how awesome they are? Geez
  • beater07 said:

How many other threads will I come across that is Uhhh members bragging about how awesome they are? Geez

The state of the game is evidence enough to prove UHHH correct. Nobody is saying they're "awesome". just had something going for this game early on just to get ignored later on.
  • If what you say is true, saying it on the forums is pointless. All you are doing is making a negative place for the people who do still like the game. Send them an email instead.
  • edited October 2
    beater07 said:

If what you say is true, saying it on the forums is pointless. All you are doing is making a negative place for the people who do still like the game. Send them an email instead.

You mean like direct DMs and trying to connect to on the backend community modding discord where most devs sans one didn't avoid? Same method as reporting code injection exploits, duping exploits/bugs, and such? Yeah didn't work and here we are. Something got lost between the transition between Sanya, the short period with Israel and from them now to Liz. It's like notes and such never got passed over.

• beater07 said:

If what you say is true, saying it on the forums is pointless. All you are doing is making a negative place for the people who do still like the game. Send them an email instead.

I'd rather the forum be history lesson for new members(Not trolling). Why should they get suckered into a false sense of security with LoA. Why should we as the community just remain behind closed doors because we're done with it and not they? They have every right to know what this game developed into.

More false crap: I was promised so many times that I would receive loyalty points for sharing builds, hosting events and helping fix certain bugs(in DMs with Grim, Kade, and Sonya.)

Guess who never saw those points lolol

But no let's try and defend the forums as if it's a place of honor and respect. That respect was gone when we wasted 2 years of our lives helping people that didn't deserve it. As for the negativity: you can leave if you don't like the truths we're telling the rest of the community, we're not trolling.