Totally puzzled by skill gains

Hello everyone
Can someone please explain me the skill gains influencing things in the game ?
Just right now, i passed the 30 slashing bar by slashing black bears near my hometown (i know i could have done that on the dummies, but at least it also raise vigod, blocking, healing)
So, getting bored of bears, i look up on the interractive map and spot a bandit camp, said to be skill 25-45
So i head there, start slashing away. Those are indeed slightly harder to kill than bears, but i'm doing ok
What is not ok, is that after 30 mins killing bandits, i did not take a single (not 1) 0,1 gain in neither slashing or virog, or blocking...only healing.
Scratching my head, i get back to town, and just tested hitting a few bears, and right away i start gaining skills all over the place again...

totally leaving me puzzled about the mechanics here??? Thoght hitting harder mobs would help me keep a steady flow of skills, but it actually totally stopped, and i started gaining again by hitting weaker opponents ???
What did i miss here ? :):):) (no, i did not eat or rest, or listen to music in the meantime, just walked from one place to the other :-//)

thank you !!

Comments

• Thoght hitting harder mobs would help me keep a steady flow of skills, but it actually totally stopped
    Each mob has a minimum and maximum for skill gain. If you're below the minimum, you can't gain skill from them; if you're above the maximum, you can't gain skill from them.

It's not the best system.