Should I buy this game?

3link3link Virginia
edited September 3 in General Discussion
I loved Ultima Online and have yearned for its return for many years. But I hate the idea of investing hours into a game that nobody else is playing.

I know they made some recent changes to PVP, but that's not a total turnoff for me. I suppose my biggest concern is that this game might flop. I haven't seen any marketing for this game at all. I only just learned of its existence, and I google "upcoming MMOs" literally every weekend.

Comments

• The price is about to drop to $20. Skip the official servers and instead jump straight to legends of Ultima community server which is thriving right now. If you need more convincing check out this preview of the upcoming custom map!

https://youtu.be/p8fcvLjjybY

• dirricvirrudirricvirru Fort Worth, TX
    edited September 3
    Legend of Ultima has a good reputation for a community server so check it out (I can't vouch for it). If that is your thing, it is probably a worth while purchase.

If you are looking for the main servers, take some time to read through the forums because there are a lot of issues. My advice is wait for the game to mature for a while to see what happens post steam release.
    The devs can't figure out what they want to do with the game.

I personally backed it in 2015 and its nothing like what was promised then. There is very little risk/reward which for me was what made UO great. Here the end game went from 75% open pvp to 10% open pvp areas. (Everything resource rich is mostly guarded).

Most of the reds have left. Mostly main servers are dead except for the new one that launched with steam release. The prestige abilities are only unlockable by fitting a skill recipe so it has killed a lot of the build diversity.

There is a huge lack of economy because there is very little for item sinks except for not being able to repair weps/armor/trinkets. They did address this some at the steam release, but still the game is just so quiet on my server.

I suspect they are running out of money because they keep adding ways to make it. The steam release imo has been very bad numbers wise and probably was not enough to sustain a long term development team.

There are two dead servers that they want to combine which will make it just as dead since dead + dead = 2x Dead. AFAIK this is their solution for low population instead of actually trying to incentivize any players actually playing on them.
  • edited September 3
    Official servers are fine as long as you are an EU player and go to the Crimson Sea server, or you go to the new server Amber Moon. Right now i wouldn't suggest going to the 2 old US servers Azure Sky and Verdant Earth, since players there are reporting low population.

Be warned though that this game is definitely in early access, so you will find many placeholder features here and there.
    1) The fighter/archer classes are not completely done (it seems that it will be done in the next patch).
    2) The crafting economy is finally working correctly but there is a problem with end game drops being too easy to acquire and this is menacing the long term economic system.
    3) The PvP is there but there aren't many incentives to it, so it is a bit scarce (something to fix this should also be in the next patch).

I cannot speak for the community servers since i haven't been there, but speaking from the EU official server, the game is enjoying a lot of new players everyday and things are moving in the right direction, as long as you don't expect to find a fully fledged UO successor right off the bat.

The biggest problem with the game is that it had a good number of knee jerk changes recently (Mounted combat and PvP mostly), so we had a lot of angry people (including me). By now, those have either accepted the new game rules or move away.
  • edited September 3
    I can't recommend the official servers to anyone who use to play UO and wants a similar experience.

They recently killed build diversity via forced templates. Majority of the players have stopped playing the official servers. They devs have no direction and constantly change the rules of game while adding no new content.
  • Baja_BuysBaja_Buys Amber Moon
    Death said:

The price is about to drop to $20. Skip the official servers and instead jump straight to legends of Ultima community server which is thriving right now. If you need more convincing check out this preview of the upcoming custom map!

https://youtu.be/p8fcvLjjybY

Given my situation with my character on the official servers, and given that I did take a bit of advantage of their [LoU] 1.5x skill gain during launch, I'm really looking forward to the new map, and will probably move to LoU. UO was a huge part of my life, and the LoU project looks amazing.
  • Baja_Buys said:

Given my situation with my character on the official servers, and given that I did take a bit of advantage of their [LoU] 1.5x skill gain during launch, I'm really looking forward to the new map, and will probably move to LoU. UO was a huge part of my life, and the LoU project looks amazing.

Come on over and if you need some gold to get you started or horses, just look me up on the official LOU discord.