Accidental Character Deletion

I was dualboxing, transferring a reg pouch to my main char from a newbie char, and accidentally issued the command in the wrong window — is this anything they can help with, or should I just prepare to quit? :p

I've paged a GM and emailed contact@citadel, but nothing yet.

Thanks!

Comments

• Baja_BuysBaja_Buys Amber Moon
    edited September 1
    as an update -- Got a response; They will not restore characters or lost items. It's been fun, y'all
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    I hope they don't spend time fixing players errors when they have their owns to fix
  • Sad to see that hey dont give a damn about player retention when they are bleeding playerbase like a stuck pig...sheesh...
  • Dumpy McWinklesDumpy McWinkles World First Grandmaster Stapler
    Diamonas said:

Sad to see that hey dont give a damn about player retention when they are bleeding playerbase like a stuck pig...sheesh...

I have seen players lose mansions in bugs that cause their stuff to allegedly go poof -- they were not afforded any luxuries either. And the only way for them to retrieve lost things is to roll back the entire server to the point of loss -- not gonna happen.

Lets not start playing the violin over players spilling milk all over themselves.

Diamonas said:

Sad to see that hey dont give a damn about player retention when they are bleeding playerbase like a stuck pig...sheesh...

the only way for them to retrieve lost things is to roll back the entire server to the point of loss -- not gonna happen.
    in the case of something like a house, i can see how that might be an issue. I don't see restoring a character as having the same impact on the world/other players.

What happens if an account gets hacked and the characters deleted? "Tough luck, kid"?
  • Baja_Buys said:

Diamonas said:

the only way for them to retrieve lost things is to roll back the entire server to the point of loss -- not gonna happen.
    in the case of something like a house, i can see how that might be an issue. I don't see restoring a character as having the same impact on the world/other players.

What happens if an account gets hacked and the characters deleted? "Tough luck, kid"?
    My granddaddy used to say "life's not fair son" and "man up".

I guess it depends on who's to blame for the hacking. If its the players' fault then tough luck, but if it's because of a bug or an error on Citadel's side then they should make their best effort to revert it.
  • edited September 2
    Really indicates how far customer service has slipped. Could you imagine if this were Blizzard and a player had deleted their character by accident... 'tough luck...'

Completely unacceptable.

Whether you have a hardline stance on this matter or not, CS should be doing every single thing in their power to retain as many players as possible. This just seems like low hanging fruit. Please dear god tell me they have basic character/item logging.
  • Death said:

Really indicates how far customer service has slipped. Could you imagine if this were Blizzard and a player had deleted their character by accident... 'tough luck...'

Completely unacceptable.

Whether you have a hardline stance on this matter or not, CS should be doing every single thing in their power to retain as many players as possible. This just seems like low hanging fruit. Please dear god tell me they have basic character/item logging.

Are you saying that by your standards a company should be held liable for someone else's choice?

The guy clearly chose to type "/deletechar" and then "DELETE". That, in and of itself is C.S. pre-cognitive steps in preventing people from doing stupid things.

Eliminating the fault of the customer does not make the person inherently right. It simply absolves them of poor choices.

If it was C.S. coding issue and the player lost their character from no fault of their own. Sure, I would expect them to set your expectations to their logical ends.
  • edited September 3
    @ithiel stockholm syndrome...

... and how a competent company handles such things - https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34409

'Tough Luck' is a pretty damn cringy answer to a player who wishes to restore their character. What's more likely is that CS does not have proper logging for items and characters so a restoration is not feasible on their end. If this is the case then what happens if a player gets hacked and the hacker deletes all of their characters and items??? Tough Luck??? Pretty bad.

Here's some more restoration policies... just so you understand what 'standard practice' is:

Final Fantasy XIV

Guild Wars 2

Elder Scrolls Online

Black Desert Online

Even Ultima Online in 2018 can restore characters

As I mentioned in my previous response, CS at this point should be doing everything in their power to retain players as we've already lost over half of the steam users since launch. With proper item/character logging a character restoration is nearly trivial.

Three scenarios:
    A. Player was going to quit, deletes wrong character... oops, guess I'll quit
    B. Player was NOT going to quit, deletes wrong character... 'hey can you restore my character please? No?", guess it's time for me to quit.
    C. Player was NOT going to quit, deletes wrong character... 'hey can you restore my character please? No?", guess I'll take it on the chin and start over again.

2/3 scenarios we lost the player... just doesn't make sense for something that should be standard practice. Furthermore, why chance yet another negative review? "I liked this game until I accidentally deleted my character and they told me tough luck when I asked for a character restoration which is standard practice in all MMO's..."

Well I guess it's just more kerosene on the fire and we know why the trajectory is as it is.

edited September 4
    Sacha said:

I hope they don't spend time fixing players errors when they have their owns to fix

I happen to like the game in its current state, at least in the couple hundred hours I've played since the Steam launch, but the customer service and lack of empathy/care for an already dwindling player base does not instill much confidence.

I enjoyed the game so much that I bought a second copy of the game to place another plot and have some extra character slots, as well as to help transfer things or run items/regs from one place/character to another -- had full plans on supporting the game through premium subscriptions on both accounts (and maybe a third) -- I've been actively trying to "recruit" all my cousins (who played UO with me 20+ years ago) and old UO friends to jump on the game, because it really has been a lot fun. I've also been active on reddit, discord, contribute to the wiki, the official forums, in-game, and in the guild, helping other players.

if a valuable customer like that isn't worth a little effort to retain, then I will happily spend my time and money elsewhere.

At the same time, for long-time players like you that have valid fundamental issues with the game, if those aren't addressed, then those players leave too.

In either scenario, they're losing an active player. Seems like a tough spot to be in, and to me, indicates larger organizational issues.

I ran into this old post a few days ago, which was a good read: https://www.arcanima.org/article/why-i-quit-legends-aria
    Ithiel said:

Are you saying that by your standards a company should be held liable for someone else's choice?

The guy clearly chose to type "/deletechar" and then "DELETE". That, in and of itself is C.S. pre-cognitive steps in preventing people from doing stupid things.

Easy mistake to make -- my characters were standing next to each other and I was simply focused in the wrong window when issuing the command. Simple accident, and I'm not looking to gain anything by asking for this. Upon deleting the char, I IMMEDIATELY went to the discord to find help, along with emailing CS and paging a GM in-game, because, as @Death mentioned, it's fairly standard practice to be able to restore something/characters, provided not too much time has passed. I've played tons of MMO's starting with UO through Guild Wars 2, and haven't had an issue with recovering something that was lost/deleted/hacked in the instances something like that has happened.

On the bright side, I keep everything in the house, so in terms of valuables, I didn't lose too much.

I still like Aria, but losing my main character that I spent a lot of time building is really discouraging me from continuing simply because all of the time invested to get my skills up. Knowing what/how long it took to get to where I was -- I wouldn't want to go through it again.
  • @Death victim mentality...

I am going to apply your same logic on my lawn care provider, truegreen.

I'll dig a 3' wide hole in my nice green front yard. Then call truegreen and play the victim card.

"Why won't you replace my green grass for free? I just dug a hole by accident. I'll quit using you guys if you don't!"

Everyone gets a "participation" trophy I guess? That's rhetorical.
  • @Supreem HEY , man could you please undelete this guy's character?

Charge a fee. Do not let him quit. Please assist.
  • I posted on Twitter to grab some higher up attention. There a bit busy but hopefully will give a solution soon Baja

PS I'm the guy who asked for chat size in the options. They are not unreasonable.
  • edited September 10
    @Ithiel

I provided you with links to show that every single major MMO will restore characters that are deleted no questions asked, including Ultima online, and you provided an unrelated hypothetical...

I'll tell you what though I'll entertain your hypothetical anyway - Have you ever heard of cost-benefit analysis? If the cost on Truegreen is negligible and it yields sufficient benefit then of course they will pay for it. It's the same reason that if you accidentally drop your coffee in Starbucks they immediately make you another one for free. Try it and see what happens. Modern customer service lives and dies on social media and in turn will do everything in its power to avoid negative feedback from customers... this includes bending over backwards because negative scenarios can be flipped into positive ones. Or you know we can just say, "tough luck".

Your views on customer service are barbaric and simply wrong.

What does it cost for them to restore a character? Worst case scenario... an engineer's time to go through the item/character logs and rebuild the character by hand. At best, finding the character ID in the database and hitting restore.

What is the benefit of restoring said player's character? People won't debate it on a forum... thus avoiding the risk of further tarnishing the companies reputation. The player won't write a negative review... in fact they might write a positive review saying what great customer service they received. The player won't quit playing and thus will help attract their friends and their friends' friends. If they keep playing then they become a potential source of additional income when they subscribe to premium... or not... I guess F the customer amirite???

See how there's practically no downside to restoring the character? Help me understand what the downside is aside from begrudging your personal knee-jerk reaction to a so called 'victim' getting their way.
    edited September 4

@Supreem HEY , man could you please undelete this guy's character?

Charge a fee. Do not let him quit. Please assist.

I'd gladly pay to restore the char if for some reason they wanted to do that; that's not a problem. LOL -- money isn't an issue; my time is worth more, which is why I feel so strongly here.

I'm probably in the minority when I say I wouldn't even mind if they took a "freemium" model with cash shop items as an additional revenue stream -- BUT; they'd have to do it kinda like GW2 or other games -- premium currency that can be used for some cosmetic or QoL items (indestructible harvesting tools, etc), or converting gems to in-game currency -- but nothing that would give a huge advantage over F2P players. This is a very delicate balance, and probably something they should do _later_ -- once the core game is fully fleshed out. Doing it now would probably do more harm to the player base than good.

I posted on Twitter to grab some higher up attention. There a bit busy but hopefully will give a solution soon Baja

PS I'm the guy who asked for chat size in the options. They are not unreasonable.

I did manage to get it escalated to whoever Lead GM is, but I'm not counting on it. I've already started a new main, but am choosing to just work on my crafter in the interim, as I'd hate to waste even more time if this gets resolved positively.
  • edited September 3
    @daymas@gmail.com @Baja_Buys

The absolute worst case scenario I don't see why they can't just rebuild the character by hand while not giving back any of the items that the character was wearing or in their pack. That seems pretty fair. A GM can set any stats that they want...

I assume this would be good enough for Baja?

A premium cash shop is coming, hence "gems". This will most likely include the ability to purchase Gems through micro transactions.
    edited September 3
    Death said:

@daymas@gmail.com @Baja_Buys

The absolute worst case scenario I don't see why they can't just rebuild the character by hand while not giving back any of the items that the character was wearing or in their pack. That seems pretty fair. A GM can set any stats that they want...

I assume this would be good enough for Baja?

A premium cash shop is coming, hence "gems". This will most likely include the ability to purchase Gems through micro transactions.

I did suggest just re-creating the character as I have a log of the character and their skills -- this should easily be possible, given that they would need this ability for a test server or to do any sort of meaningful testing at all...

I'm a data nerd, so I tracked most of my training and skills, and could provide at least what I last recorded my skills to be. This second time around, I planned to track reg use/spells casted to GM Evoc and Mani, since I didn't track cost/resources the first time.

I don't even care much about the items as my bank was mostly empty and armor was all vendor stuff that's easily purchased again.
    Baja_Buys said:

I still like Aria, but losing my main character that I spent a lot of time building is really discouraging me from continuing simply because all of the time invested to get my skills up. Knowing what/how long it took to get to where I was -- I wouldn't want to go through it again.

That's the main problem I see, if it's not fun to raise a char, and the game is only good enough when you have a full developed char, then it's a fail. They might as well just give us 600 free points on start.
    I would put in some permanent death system, so we don't get too attached to chars that should be in the graveyard with a nice tombstone.
    Sacha said:

Baja_Buys said:

That's the main problem I see, if it's not fun to raise a char, and the game is only good enough when you have a full developed char, then it's a fail. They might as well just give us 600 free points on start.
    I would put in some permanent death system, so we don't get too attached to chars that should be in the graveyard with a nice tombstone.
    Guess it's a good thing I started working on that new char, then. Not a peep from them after it had been elevated to the "Lead" GM.