just finished reading the book "Braving Brittania" - a look back at UO

TLDR; 12 Developers, 6 months & $250k in 1994 created a masterpiece. Let that sink in as we watch this game spiral worse than Snookie from Jersey Shore drinking Ron Ron juice.

Comments

• ZaphieonZaphieon Philippines
    Revo said:

TLDR; 12 Developers, 6 months & $250k in 1994 created a masterpiece. Let that sink in as we watch this game spiral worse than Snookie from Jersey Shore drinking Ron Ron juice.

1994 you say.. so after they spent that 6 months to create the game.... they spent the next 3 yrs in alpha/beta testing... since it wasn't released until 1997.

and it was a masterpiece simply because it was a first of its kind. I love UO don't get me wrong.. BUT if the mmo gaming market was as saturated as today.. back then UO would have never survived.. back then when you got murdered and pissed but had not steam to run to to find a different game.. or another game already installed that gave you the same social aspect.. at best you had AOL chat rooms to turn too lol..
  • Daywalker.
  • MofakaMofaka United States
    Have you noticed that when you get nostalgic for a game, oftentimes you quickly become bored with it.
    This happens with me, and I think its because that nostalgia isn't just for the game, its for the time, place, and people. The entire experience.

UO has been around for a long time, and we sometimes talk about it as if it were dead.
    Which is probably because to each of us, it died in someway on its path of evolution.

That game, has changed dramatically since I played during T2A and prior.
    The game was a masterpiece, for its time.
    Recreating UO, or its success, will never be done by trying to copy the game.
    It wont be done by taking a snapshot of what it was, and giving it updated graphics.
    Because its not just the game, its a subjective experience for each one of us.

I'm super critical of Citadel, I think they've made some huge mistakes when it comes to gameplay, balancing, and direction.
    That said, I'm sure they've made a great deal of sacrifice to get the game to where it is today.
    I'm not privy to their financials, but I think people see numbers like 105k, and don't realize that doesn't even cover a single year's salary for a game Developer in the US.
    Now, you can make the case that its like a startup, and the staff has equity and hoping for a payday at launch. Yet most start-ups fail, and hope doesn't pay the rent or feed the kids.
    The guys sticking with this, believe in it, sacrificed for it.

That's worth something, even if I disagree sometimes, even if I'm let down.