An Idea to Help balance out Mages

take Martial Prowess and give it a Secondary effect of spell damage reduction. .5% for every 1 point of MP because wisdom has never worked and mages are the ONLY class that is valid to use in pvp due to the constant melee nerfs and the latest archery nerf...

Comments

  • Mages can be fixed in 2 easy steps:

    1) Durability damage on spellbooks and staffs when casting. No reason why they shouldn't be affected by weapon degradation. Scribes would be really happy people with this.
    2) Revamp wisdom. Wisdom should be a defensive AND offensive stat. When you cast a spell, you roll the wisdom of the attacker against the wisdom of the defender. In case of save, you inflict half damage and no additional effects. Right now a fighter build requires 2 offensive stats (str and agi), while mages require only int. This creates a strange situation where mages have more constitution than warriors! Make wisdom a necessary stat for casters.
  • edited August 26
    Most mages do have 30 wisdom unless they are hybrids.... Hybrids were already nerfed due to martial prowess.

    Warriors need a buff but at the same time they need to be made so they are harder to play. Double click auto attack and 2 key shouldn't be a dominant build. That takes hardly any thinking or mechanical skill...

    At least a mage requires 9+ keys and good timing which involves more thinking as well as skill to play well.

    Remember the power of the stealth lancer back in December? That was nerfed for a reason. It was a braindead OP build...
  • ZaphieonZaphieon Philippines
    Grex said:

    Most mages do have 30 wisdom unless they are hybrids.... Hybrids were already nerfed due to martial prowess.

    Warriors need a buff but at the same time they need to be made so they are harder to play. Double click auto attack and 2 key shouldn't be a dominant build. That takes hardly any thinking or mechanical skill...

    At least a mage requires 9+ keys and good timing which involves more thinking as well as skill to play well.

    Remember the power of the stealth lancer back in December? That was nerfed for a reason. It was a braindead OP build...

    make warriors harder to play? didn't they just do that with all the extra mage buffs lol... the fact they added MORE damage to mages and added bards that buff even MORE damage for mages make it hard enough... the fact a "fighter" has to be right front and center on top of something also makes it harder.. mage doesn't take more skill... shit is ez mode AF and all you do to level up as a mage is spam spells in town you don't even need to do anything .... the entire system for mages is just trash to overpowered getting buffs while every single thing else is getting nerfs... sad really.
  • Look, my archers have been nerfed. Now you want to nerf the mage? How about enhancing the warriors? For example: The suggestion on providing a Taunt ability for the warriors so that the warrior would get the loot and any 'mage blasting' would just help you get your kill?

    Mages do pack a punch, but, they do not have unlimited manna and have to take a 'time out' to recharge.

    Just saying - why not concentrate on balancing to enhance the warrior vs nerfing another class? The reason this is a concern for me is that I am a 'hunter-gatherer' that helps to provide raw materials for our crafters...

    P.S. I too have had mages steal kills from my archers and warriors and understand your concerns ...
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Maybe enhace warriors and mobs?
  • ZaphieonZaphieon Philippines
    Fletcher said:

    Look, my archers have been nerfed. Now you want to nerf the mage? How about enhancing the warriors? For example: The suggestion on providing a Taunt ability for the warriors so that the warrior would get the loot and any 'mage blasting' would just help you get your kill?

    Mages do pack a punch, but, they do not have unlimited manna and have to take a 'time out' to recharge.

    Just saying - why not concentrate on balancing to enhance the warrior vs nerfing another class? The reason this is a concern for me is that I am a 'hunter-gatherer' that helps to provide raw materials for our crafters...

    P.S. I too have had mages steal kills from my archers and warriors and understand your concerns ...

    this isn't about pve lol nor nerfing them mage its about balancing out different builds for pvp.
  • edited August 27
    Yea make warriors more powerful and harder to play by adding more keys. Auto attack and 2 keys is just stupidly easy to play.

    Reason they got rid of the original stealth lancer ...
  • ZaphieonZaphieon Philippines
    Grex said:

    Yea make warriors more powerful and harder to play by adding more keys. Auto attack and 2 keys is just stupidly easy to play.

    Reason they got rid of the original stealth lancer ...

    old UO didn't have warrior or archer abilities but a dex monkey could still own the shit out of a mage

  • Yea well I'm not sure if you are new around here but old UO did a lot of things differently. It's become very apparent the devs aren't trying to clone old UO and have there own ideas how they want the game to be. Good luck trying to convince them any differently.
  • Zaphieon said:

    Grex said:

    Yea make warriors more powerful and harder to play by adding more keys. Auto attack and 2 keys is just stupidly easy to play.

    Reason they got rid of the original stealth lancer ...

    old UO didn't have warrior or archer abilities but a dex monkey could still own the shit out of a mage

    In LoA you can also have a warrior who destroys a mage.. but not as effective in pve as a mage.

    But would appreciate to make a pure warrior with some other abilities like Dual Wielding, whirlwind.. Archer with some poison arrows and a slow shot without hamstring himself.. etc..
    IDK, i think LoA should to be better than UO..


  • Adding up to 64 spells would be the right way to fix mages.

    For fixing Melee (!) , it would be adding better def to armor and make healing timer dex depending and interruptable.
  • 'Fixing' mage vs melee balance would mean addressing a bunch of missing parts as well as reverting mechanics that were removed from the game.

    Standard Mage:
    - high burst damage
    - turrets... meant to stand and cast
    - not effective if interrupted
    - counters anti-melee
    - wears cloth armor
    - spells like lightning receives bonus damage against plate armor

    AntiMage Melee (piercers):
    - consistent mid level damage against cloth
    - highly mobile
    - designed to interrupt casters with high dexterity
    - wears leather or cloth
    - damage not great against plate
    - counters casters

    Playstyle of AntiMelee Melee (macers):
    - consistent mid level damage
    - wears plate armor to mitigate melee damage
    - designed to destroy armor and deplete stamina
    - bonus damage against leather/cloth armor

    Then you have a bunch of hybrid builds which are supposed to give advantages in specific circumstances against specific matchups... things like stealth stabbers, stealth archers, tank mages, thief+anything. Isn't variety sweet?

    Now look at the current system with the above structure in mind:
    - they removed mounted combat so there goes melee mobility
    - stamina has no effect on movement there goes pacers
    - armors don't work as intended bye bye melee = lack of counter play between weapon types and armors
    - casters can chain teleport so they are the most mobile class, impossible to catch
    - casters can sync their attacks so they can drop 600+ damage immediately (best class in group fights)
    - the only counter to syncs are ice block (casters ability) and invisibility
    - finger slipping isn't a thing... kills counter play to melee healing
    - melee have accuracy and miss... casters never miss (can't build a meaningful amount of wis into melee builds without a significant hit to stats)

    As you can see the problem isn't just a single silver bullet issue it's death by a thousand cuts. I urge you all to watch tournaments from Ultima online (mute this one). Note that whether it's a mage vs a melee or melee vs melee there are counters upon counters upon counters. Casters played at a high level will stomp on melee but it requires a ton of nuance to play properly and address each situation. Messing up timing = death.

    I also urge you all to check out the legends of Ultima community server as they have done a very good job of implementing the combat system from UO including all 64 spells for casters, finger slipping, stamina mechanics, etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.