A new section has been added:
Feedback & Suggestions -
this will be a place to give constructive feedback and suggestions. Comments are disabled, feedback or suggestions are the same will be merged.
https://forums.legendsofaria.com/categories/feedback-suggestions

Multiple people reporting the game is causing their graphics cards to overheat

This really scares me. I don't want to ruin my computer so can anyone please explain this issue and why it's happening? Why is a game with such basic graphics causing their graphics cards to massively overheat? Many people have reported this issue.

To be honest I am too afraid to play this game until this issue is fixed. I can't afford to buy a new computer if my graphics card gets destroyed.

Comments

• A can of duster will do wonders for your graphics card temps. Also, the new AMD garbage runs hot AF. Maybe they're just now seeing the error of their decision to go with a sub par gpu. i dunno, just spitballing.
  • Revuelta said:

A can of duster will do wonders for your graphics card temps. Also, the new AMD garbage runs hot AF. Maybe they're just now seeing the error of their decision to go with a sub par gpu. i dunno, just spitballing.

i don't think that's the issue. The people saying that said they also tested the temp of their graphics cards for very intensive games and it never went over 60C, whereas with LoA they were hitting 80C.

I really need an answer to this. If this issue will be fixed, I'll come back and play. Otherwise, I can't risk destroying my computer due to bad optimization.
  • Avoid hanging around player houses with bookshelves.
  • Squid said:

Avoid hanging around player houses with bookshelves.

why?
  • I have a super-powered new machine that breezes through anything, and it is true. Pre-patch, the game barely registered and heat, and now is takes me near Battlefield levels for no reason, up a bit over 60c, which is just silly with these graphics. What gives?
  • I have a super-powered new machine that breezes through anything, and it is true. Pre-patch, the game barely registered and heat, and now is takes me near Battlefield levels for no reason, up a bit over 60c, which is just silly with these graphics. What gives?

it must be very poor optimization. Either way i'm scared to play now. I can't afford a new computer if this one breaks.
  • Yes, likely optimization. It's common with small, independent games with little staffs. It doesn't matter so much when there aren't many people online, but it shows when there is a load. It won't give me any real issues, but I bet those with older machines are running hot.
  • ZaphieonZaphieon Philippines
    You can play this game on a shit computer with a shit gpu and it runs just fine... but yeah could be more optimization, this is early access lets see if they work it out.
  • Yea my pc had a ATI 6850 and running 3 accounts it made the fans constantly spin hard. It also got so hot i had to take the side off. I upgraded to a nvidia gtx 1080 ti 8gb No issue now running 3 clients simultaneously does not even phase it....

Can't say the game play is very good. The changes devs made make me want to punch them in-the d...

The vitality thing is dong kick worthy
    The change that base resources can no longer be sold to npcs for any amount is dong kick worthy.
    Making 90% of the map non pvp is dong kick worthy
    The change to gold was good but keeping the insane pricing structure for housing was dong kick worthy.

end view point this game is a trap. It sucks you in with insane grind to make a house because it lacks any real end game. So the longer it can hold that house carrot out the longer you might play....
    The skill gain is also horrifically bad with a cap of 700 it really shouldn't be this slow...

• ZaphieonZaphieon Philippines
    edited August 8
    Deadmau5 said:

I upgraded to a nvidia gtx 1080 ti 8gb No issue now running 3 clients simultaneously does not even phase it....

Can't say the game play is very good. The changes devs made make me want to punch them in-the d...

Ok, so the game play is not very good, that is the reason you have 3 accounts, and upgraded your GPU.... makes sense..
    Deadmau5 said:

The change to gold was good but keeping the insane pricing structure for housing was dong kick worthy.

end view point this game is a trap. It sucks you in with insane grind to make a house because it lacks any real end game. So the longer it can hold that house carrot out the longer you might play....
    The skill gain is also horrifically bad with a cap of 700 it really shouldn't be this slow...

Gold itself changed in no way, everything is still the exact same value. they just removed the "cents" from that was causing confusions.. just like say the US decided to remove Cents.. so you had $1.47, then it was $147... but a soda was still $0.99 but now its price read out to $99 instead... that is all that changed..

as far as the house carrot goes, there is in now way pop ups saying, hey do you have house yet? Why do you not have a house yet? yes land/house makes it easy to play multiple chars and store items.. but its not some thing that is forced on you.

Players that just get upset that the Developer's change things in the game when the game is "early access" is well sad. The game is still being developed, It is still growing and will continue to change. you have to expect this, they are doing hotfixes now at least in a timely manner.. hopefully they will start sharing patch notes with us on minor fixes so we know what has changed.
  • dirricvirrudirricvirru Fort Worth, TX
    edited August 8
    Any GPU that can't handle running at 100% and overheats needs to be cleaned or needs to have the fans checked. If it is over a few years without cleaning you are likely going to have to remove the heatsink and really scrub it and maybe reapply thermal compound.

Your case could be too restrictive on air flow as well, just many issues that are outside blame of the game.
  • Any GPU that can't handle running at 100% and overheats needs to be cleaned or needs to have the fans checked. If it is over a few years without cleaning you are likely going to have to remove the heatsink and really scrub it and maybe reapply thermal compound.

Your case could be too restrictive on air flow as well, just many issues that are outside blame of the game.

All the people reporting that this game is massively overheating their graphics cards ALSO mentioned that they can run far, far more demanding games just fine and without the card overheating. So the only conclusion is that LoA is the cause of the overheating due to very poor optimization.

I'm too scared to play the game now. I cannot afford to buy a new computer if this game destroys my graphics card. I think in horror as to the 100s of hours I spent playing this game already, I hope I haven't caused irreversible damage to my computer.
  • Your hardware comes with damage mitigation protocols. It won't blow up because it is being stressed, it will make a loud noise though.
  • OG Brum said:

Your hardware comes with damage mitigation protocols. It won't blow up because it is being stressed, it will make a loud noise though.

i hope so.
  • PathfinderPathfinder United States
    No Issues with GTx 1660
  • MordakaiMordakai Midwest
    No issues with A 1050 either.. running a FX 8550 4.0 8 core as the CPU
  • My 1080ti is running 85-100% GPU usage and around 45C watercooled, which is pretty hot compared to other games I play ( Crowfall, FFXIV, Elite,BDO ) that run close to 60% GPU usage 30C.

LOA defintiely runs strangely, I suspect it has to do with being Early Access and not much optimization.
  • KingslyKingsly Blue Boar
    It overheated mine and i can play everything else without any heat problems. I'll wait down the line to play again when things are more optimized or whatever it is.
  • edited August 12
    I can confirm that my computer which has AIO coolers for both the CPU and the GPU, 1080ti asus graphics card, goes straight to 96% load from the login screen.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/466035341

edit: My graphics settings were on Unlimited FPS in LOA, I turned it down to 60 FPS limited and the gpu is at 30% on the intro screen.
  • MorphMorph Denmark
    No issues with GTX 1080 8gb
  • They have been having troubles with optimization since the beginning of the project. I was hoping they would have fixed it before launching on STEAM
  • @morph try this...

- open the game
    - login to your character
    - go to graphics settings and set FPS to Unlimited
    - open a GPU monitor tool and then open the intro login screen

tell me if you see the GPU usage shoot up
  • With a cheap 1050 I dual box a bard and play a mage no issues.. Complete setup is FX 8550 8 core 4.0Gz 16 megs of ram and a crutial ssd windows 10. Not sure the common factor here, but if it isn't happening to Everyone...
  • @Mordakai try this...

- open the game
    - login to your character
    - go to graphics settings and set FPS to Unlimited
    - open a GPU monitor tool and then open the intro login screen

tell me if you see the GPU usage shoot up
  • I'll confirm, 2 PCs this patch has definitely increased in GPU usage. My fans go hard and heavy soon as the game starts.

My office heats up pretty fast now. Playing other high demand games does not result in the same GPU usage.
  • @Death I have it set to unlimited I did have to take off my Heat sink and clean the CPU and GPU as before my fans were screaming and get inadvertent shutdowns..Actually thought it was my PS going out so I bought another one.. Also went with new Paste as I had it open.. quiet fans.. both clients running at the same time on separate monitors..
  • I found this to also be true. I tested by GPU and it severely stresses and goes from like 0% to 99% when I played on medium to ultra settings. Hell even medium settings it sky rocketed to 99% let alone ultra. Now on the very low to low settings my GPU back down to non existent like 1-2%. The engine is garbage and so are the graphics therefore should be able to play on Ultra with little to no usage of my GPU considering the engine they use. I can play much higher end video graphical requirements with peaking around 30-50% this game's optimization is beyond horrific and they highly meed to work on improving it.