Ways to Fix Archery

edited August 17 in Feedback & Suggestions
Fixing archery could be a relatively simple implementation.

First make an archery profession. It's odd that archery is not considered a weapon skill at the moment so you can't complete the Fighter profession unless you also pick up a second melee skill... (Hotfixed, archery is now considered a weapon skill. I still think it can have its own profession).

Archery profession will require the same things as melee:
- Archery
- Martial Prowess
- Healing
- Vigor

The benefits of completing the archery tree are as follows:
- Tier 1 prestige: Wound (hamstring at range)
- Tier 1 prestige: Dart
- Tier 2 prestige: Bleed
- Tier 2 prestige: Mortal Strike
- Tier 2 prestige: Double Shot
- Tier 2 prestige: overdraw (@fletcher recommended)
- Tier 3 prestige: Hunters Mark
- Tier 3 prestige: Stun Shot

Most of the skills required to implement the Archery prestige tree already exist and would require minor cosmetic changes to make them fit in.

Comments

• I admire your dedication but the DEV ignore these forums and you may be better off posting this in their discord.
  • @Divinorum good suggestions, I'll try
  • COLDBLooDCOLDBLooD İstanbul Turkey
    way to fix archery remove the archery skill from game done :smiley: classic CS react im not going to buy this game anyway if i want to do faction pvp i chose albion online only pve grinding game warframe path of exile those games have better graphics gameplay optimization less bug + all F2P only real sandbox mmo players can accept that kind of game sadly this game no more sandbox
  • Make it so archers shoot at regular speed when standing still but reload at 2x the speed when moving BUT dont slow down in run speed. It's nice being able to turn and shoot but the slow is horrid. Then we really wouldn't need a separate 1 shot/auto shot
  • I like Fibrosis's idea. And then - may we could get Overdraw (War Bow & Long Bow) and Double Shot (Short Bow) back?
  • I think it's a fine idea.
  • edited August 14
    Feast your eyes...

How archery should feel in Aria...

NOTICE! NO SELF INFLICTED HAMSTRING ON NOCK!
  • Death, thanks for the AWESOME video! It is refreshing to see a 'real' archer in action...too bad the 'touted upgrade' went in the wrong direction...

• Mages does triple damage or more archery does and with cast time of 1,5 secs, exemple In the black florest against Helder trees, with my sort bow, I can send a arrow every 1,5 sec that does 30 to 40 damage at top, mages can do easy 150 damage with the same cast time, if I go warbow it takes me 3,5 sec to send 1 arrow... maybe I should roll a mage to ...
  • Mages does triple damage or more archery does and with cast time of 1,5 secs, exemple In the black florest against Helder trees, with my sort bow, I can send a arrow every 1,5 sec that does 30 to 40 damage at top, mages can do easy 150 damage with the same cast time, if I go warbow it takes me 3,5 sec to send 1 arrow... maybe I should roll a mage to ...

Mage is front loaded damage, they go OOM where a archer still continues to fire especially if you use short bow. Also, the trees in Black Forest have high armor, so physical damage is reduced.

More like 230 damage ebolts with a white staff and GM skills.
  • Vyril said:

Mages does triple damage or more archery does and with cast time of 1,5 secs, exemple In the black florest against Helder trees, with my sort bow, I can send a arrow every 1,5 sec that does 30 to 40 damage at top, mages can do easy 150 damage with the same cast time, if I go warbow it takes me 3,5 sec to send 1 arrow... maybe I should roll a mage to ...

Mage is front loaded damage, they go OOM where a archer still continues to fire especially if you use short bow. Also, the trees in Black Forest have high armor, so physical damage is reduced.
    Vyril said:

Mages does triple damage or more archery does and with cast time of 1,5 secs, exemple In the black florest against Helder trees, with my sort bow, I can send a arrow every 1,5 sec that does 30 to 40 damage at top, mages can do easy 150 damage with the same cast time, if I go warbow it takes me 3,5 sec to send 1 arrow... maybe I should roll a mage to ...

Give me a monster that archery does more damage that magic... with the same cast time, shortbow vs ebolt, better give a monster that warbow, 4 sec cast time does more damage that ebolt (don’t know if ebolt is 1,5 cast time or 2 secs)

Cheers
  • Leafwalker hits the nail on the head. If it matters at all, I prefer the way archery was before … I am aware of some hybrid archer/tamers and understand the concern. However, the pure archer/shadow walker should not be punished. That is, might a balance of skill/ability requirements be more effective?
  • I also much preferred the way archery was before. I suspect that the change was specifically intended to address PvP archery, where stopping to shoot would allow people to get away. The existence of the single shot kinda confirms that for me, since it's clearly intended for sniping players at low health in group combat.

Really feels like the PvP minority ruined archery for the PvE majority. Some things never change.
  • Squid said:

I also much preferred the way archery was before. I suspect that the change was specifically intended to address PvP archery, where stopping to shoot would allow people to get away. The existence of the single shot kinda confirms that for me, since it's clearly intended for sniping players at low health in group combat.

Really feels like the PvP minority ruined archery for the PvE majority. Some things never change.

The only way to out archery on par PvE wise is GM bard. It's very strong. But I see what you are saying.
  • Archery was much better before. If the changes to weaken it were to water down tamer/archers, then give a bonus of damage to stealthy/archers or straight archers. They simply cannot compete- at all- in PVE or PVP with any other character type as they sit.
  • The issue with Tamer Archers was an issue only because they did not implement adequate counters to wyverns. In UO for example you can paralyze and hide them and they are out of combat for 60 seconds. In UO you can peacekeep the wyvern and lock it out. There are plenty of counters.

The change to Archery itself was simply a silly one and turned a primary combat skill into a secondary one for buffing damage after unloading with your primary melee skill or evocation.

Either way it's not a very good solution.

That aside they really need to fix it and I don't see why they went with an entirely different mechanism when they could have rolled it into the mage casting mechanism. As I mentioned above...

Press Q to begin 'cast', click target reticle to unleash arrow, go with above suggestion by @fibrosis of a full mobility cool down phase when you are waiting while you nock the next arrow and can begin your next draw.

Either way it makes no sense to force archers into a 4 second self inflicted hamstring.
  • MorphMorph Denmark
    Death said:

Fixing archery could be a relatively simple implementation.

First make an archery profession. It's odd that archery is not considered a weapon skill at the moment so you can't complete the Fighter profession unless you also pick up a second melee skill...

Archery profession will require the same things as melee:
    - Archery
    - Martial Prowess
    - Healing
    - Vigor

The benefits of completing the archery tree are as follows:
    - Tier 1 prestige: Wound (hamstring at range)
    - Tier 1 prestige: Dart
    - Tier 2 prestige: Bleed
    - Tier 2 prestige: Mortal Strike
    - Tier 2 prestige: Double Shot
    - Tier 3 prestige: Hunters Mark
    - Tier 3 prestige: Stun Shot

Most of the skills required to implement the Archery prestige tree already exist and would require minor cosmetic changes to make them fit in.

There is another fundamental issue with archery that you didn’t mention.

After the change (steam launch update) archery has lots its speed bonuses from agility. You can still see it is affected by agility in the paperdoll but it does not work.

If you have a short bow equipped with 45 agility your attack speed is 1,25 – but when you enable auto-shoot you shoot an arrow every 2 second.

If you have a short bow equipped with 10 agility your attack speed is 2,00 and when you enable auto-shoot you shoot an arrow every 2 seconds.

I tried this and made several tests, my char with 10 agility reload and fire as fast as my archer with 45 agility. The only thing agility does for a archer is adding to stamina pool, in the mix of the change, the speed increase from agility was either forgotten or is just broken.

So now have 50 str. and 30 agi - that’s enough stamina for me, rather shoot harder than wasting points on agility that does hardly anything for me.

That need to be changed.
  • Death, as always - you speak in facts and good suggestions. Would you think Overdraw could be added to your prestige listing? Heck, I will be happy to try anything vs. the way it is now ….when a Master Archer has trouble in the Cemetery of all places - currently, I have no plans to try to tackle Vile Spiders anymore... *shrug*
  • NemecNemec BRAZIl
    Death said:

Feast your eyes...

How archery should feel in Aria...

NOTICE! NO SELF INFLICTED HAMSTRING ON NOCK!

This is great! 3 arrows in 0,6 sec.. 5 per second! wow
    Well, i totally agree that a grandmaster archer should shoot at least 2-3 arrows per second with a short bow and without self inflicting hamstring like death said .. is ridiculous how it is now.

thinking about it..

Short bow 6 dmg shoot at 0,5 rate in 10 agl = 12 DPS
    50 Str 100% dmg = 12 dmg = 24 DPS
    15 agl - 0,45 = 26,7 DPS
    30 agl - 0,40 = 30 DPS
    45 agl - 0,35 = 34,2 DPS (With +5 BW arrow = 48,57 DPS (haha perhaps you have to create new light arrows)

War Bow can shoot at 6+ speed for the purpose of the first or last hit.. with much more increased damage, around 180 damage per hit with 30 DPS..

Plus, should have abilities like hamstring to slow oponents, snare, push back, traps etc..

it may be too strong, but could be adjusted to be close to a mage in terms of damage.
    Archer should be strong against wizards wearing cloth and deal much less damage to heavy armor.
  • I've been hamstringing myself all week with my archer, and it's getting old really quickly. That is really a swell and accurate way to describe current archers- "self hamstringers".

PLLLLEEEEEASE give us a fix soon, busy Devs of Aria.