Feature Spotlight: Ruleset Changes

Ewok_CSEwok_CS Celador Administrator
Following yesterday's announcement we have a full write up regarding the Ruleset changes

https://www.legendsofaria.com/feature-spotlight-ruleset-changes/

Comments

• LinthuLinthu Colorado
    CS, I am very excited to see this change! I will definitely be returning to the game based on this!

/cheers

-Lin
  • Thanks for finally being honest with the community and letting me know you are no longer making the game I was looking forward to playing.

I will be sure to leave my review on Steam.
  • I'll wait until I've played it a little, but once more I find myself thinking CS have missed an opportunity to plant their flag firmly in UO territory.
  • I love it!!! Good Job CS!!
  • Lets be honest, the pvp system as it is was responsible for the loss of a lot of the player base. The moment the troll happy pkers came to the game and started making the open world pvp less of a feature and more of a constant annoyance/source of stress for the rest of us who enjoy pvp, but with purpose not just to ruin someones day, the moment a lot of us just stepped away from the game. Because of them more then 80% of the server became a death trap where every step was a step closer to someone whose skills and gear so overwhelmed you all you could do was step away from the keyboard and watch it happen, because there was no challenge for them. And if you had good gear then you ended up having them gang up on you, to ensure they faced no chance of suffering a loss.

As someone who enjoys both pvp and pve, its long been clear to me and many others in the mmorpg genre that free for all sandbox pvp doesn't work if you want longevity for your game. The only exceptions to this are games that build around the open world ffa pvp nature so that its something both sides need to take active steps to engage in. Such as EVE online where the active step is accepting the message that says your stepping into lowsec/nullsec, but with the option of never leaving highsec if you so wish and still having a lot of game to experience. And even that in time wears thin, with both pvp and pve players wearing on each other's nerves, resulting in a game that is slowly loosing its player base and may soon face its death should games like Star Citizen ever release

So as such, I do understand their decision, and in all honesty agree with it. If they want this game to be more then just a short term fad this is one of the steps they need to make.
  • Glad we have the option for community servers
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    +1
    And keep enhancing the Guild and Allegiance fighting, that's the way to go.
  • PathfinderPathfinder United States
    Ok, so instead of being the successor of UO, it is now EverQuest, Trammel, Guild Wars, etc.. What made old school UO shine was the open PvP. Communities rose to protect themselves from rivals, the risk vs reward, the adrenaline rush. Now you made it like ever other game out there that has chosen to take the so called safe path. Now you definitely set yourself up for the fly by players who will check it out and move on leaving the game to rot like so many other titles out there. Man so much time was wasted because up to this point it was a grind and at the time I thought it was worth it.
  • BardiocBardioc Berlin
    Well, I joined UO after Trammel and played it for Years. It was fun and exiting adventuring in Fel if i was in the mood for risk vs reward, aswell as adventuring in safe Lands, when i was in the mood for relaxing gameplay.
    I think this change is a step in the right direction - it was not much fun getting ganked without a change to progress your toons, just because every spot where you were able to get stuff was regulary visited by reds. Now we have the option to choose if we play high or low risk and change our gameplay as we like.
  • DmitriyDmitriy Russian Federation
    In this game there is no content, to clean up still and Pvp of a component! If players do not lose things, then they do not need new ones, in a month there will be an overabundance of things, and the game will not be interesting! In this game not was economy and now there is no pvp of A! Why play it?
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Dmitriy said:

If players do not lose things, then they do not need new ones, in a month there will be an overabundance of things, and the game will not be interesting!

I agree there should be a way for players to lose things. But that's not PvP, that just changes things from one player to another. There should be some kind of item sink (the obvious is decaying, maybe stealing PNCs, bank taxes, etc).

• BardiocBardioc Berlin
    Sacha said:

Dmitriy said:

If players do not lose things, then they do not need new ones, in a month there will be an overabundance of things, and the game will not be interesting!

I agree there should be a way for players to lose things. But that's not PvP, that just changes things from one player to another. There should be some kind of item sink (the obvious is decaying, maybe stealing PNCs, bank taxes, etc).

You can also loose all your Stuff already just by getting killed by Monsters. Otherwise you can get killed by Pks and they dont loot you. I see no point in saying Pks are good for the oconomy anyway - it is because everyone has a crafting toon there is no Market for lower tier Items. And IF lower Tier Items would be expensive to create and there would be a Market for these Items, it would even be more annoying to get killed in a full loot game and loosing all your stuff ;) This is true for almost all mmos.

If all "hard to get but desperately needed" Resources are located in a pvp Zone - no one is able to progress with the exception of large red Guilds - this is a bad game design and can kill any mmo in the long run.
  • FiFi the Wiccan
    edited August 1
    Full Loot Open World PvP has caused a great loss in population, alongside the lack of content, and I am in favor of this change because of my own personal experiences and what I witnessed of others—Miners, naked Tamers, Woodcutters, and so on—being relentlessly assailed by players from which they could not protect themselves.

However, I am concerned about what this means for Thievery/Stealing since that was a planned skill for Legends of Aria.

Does this change means it has been scrapped, or will Thievery/Stealing have some sort of balance in the Barren Lands, presumably The Outlands when it is released, and the guarded areas that involve the upcoming jail—if that is still being developed?
  • It wasn't that the world was full loot PvP. It was PKs having literally no reason not to kill someone. If we'd had a working punishment system you'd have found PKs to be much more selective.
    Plus no viable escape mechanism.
  • BardiocBardioc Berlin
    Fi said:

Full Loot Open World PvP has caused a great loss in population, alongside the lack of content, and I am in favor of this change because of my own personal experiences and what I witnessed of others—Miners, naked Tamers, Woodcutters, and so on—being relentlessly assailed by players from which they could not protect themselves.

However, I am concerned about what this means for Thievery/Stealing since that was a planned skill for Legends of Aria.

Does this change means it has been scrapped, or will Thievery/Stealing have some sort of balance in the Barren Lands, presumably The Outlands when it is released, and the guarded areas that involve the upcoming jail—if that is still being developed?

I m not sure if this Ruleset Change is enough to solve the Problem - it doesen't matter if your desired hunting/mining spot is camped by reds or is camped by blues with superior skills, then you cant hunt/mine there... Ever tried hunting Lichs in Valus Cementary at peak times with low Skills...?

In UO we had in Trammel 14 Dungeons, much more in other facets + you had the opportunity to hunt in exact the same spot in Felucca for double Resources, also you had the option to hunt in the Wilderness, so it was very easy to open your Runebook and recall to another Place, if one Spot was to crowded. Even Felucca was so large, you could play there for Hours without seeing a Pk, even if the Pks where out there hunting.

In LoA we have 3 open Dungeons. There are only very few huntingplaces in the Wilderness and on Top of that, if you need some Ingredient (Silk, Eyes, Tier 3 Leather ...) you can find it in mostly one, some in two Spots. So we need much much more Content, Dungeons, Diversity, Hunting/Miningplaces, or players will leave again, because they cant't play as they desire.
  • BardiocBardioc Berlin
    Squid said:

Bardioc said:

In LoA we have 3 open Dungeons. There are only very few huntingplaces in the Wilderness and on Top of that, if you need some Ingredient (Silk, Eyes, Tier 3 Leather ...) you can find it in mostly one, some in two Spots. So we need much much more Content, Dungeons, Diversity, Hunting/Miningplaces, or players will leave again, because they cant't play as they desire.

Add to that the restrictions on gaining melee skills. There just aren't enough mobs or spawn areas to support a 'full' server.
    absolutely true

imagine a 5-8 highly skilled and bored Pk Player Guild - they are able to completely shut down e.g. Corruption - preventing any other Player to get a single Monster kill there for hours...

The cheap & easy Solution most other games go, is mirroring or endles mirroring (instances) such Places - Much more entertaining for Players, but more expensive to create, would be creating instead a lot of different looking Places/Dungeons with same Mobs in sligly diffenrent Mixture all over the World. Probably this is the Reason UO was so fantastic to play for Years. I hope Citadel is still in the Footsteps of UO..
  • FiFi the Wiccan
    Bardioc said:

I m not sure if this Ruleset Change is enough to solve the Problem - it doesen't matter if your desired hunting/mining spot is camped by reds or is camped by blues with superior skills, then you cant hunt/mine there... Ever tried hunting Lichs in Valus Cementary at peak times with low Skills...?

Not enough to solve what problem? The dwindling population?

Based on what you said, it seems you’re referring to a lack of content which I also mentioned being the issue for why the population has been decreasing alongside the fact that the “Wolves” kept relentlessly killing “Sheep” without remorse.

I thought that was an obvious given which I didn’t really want to delve into, but yes, there are not enough areas within the game that has mobs worth grinding—nor taming, and I know this well because what few of which 90+ Tamers have to get their gains from takes too long to respawn.

Players will be competing for a the few areas in the game that has mobs they need for whatever reason—this includes the few dungeons we have, Taming will become much worse than it already is thanks to the nerf to the spawn timers and the gains—Tamers can even worsen this themselves by not killing what they release, and even harvesting cotton will become a pain again due to there being too few fields. I didn’t mention mining and woodcutting because this change in the ruleset opens up many areas with caves and trees that formally used to be in the wilderness to players that will be able to safely play explore them.

So, yes, I know there isn’t much content/diversity in Legends of Aria, hence why most people left in the first place as one of their reasons, which will become a problem later in time; I’m more concerned about the change in the ruleset and what this means for Thievery/Stealing.
  • Ruleset Changes for PvP is the worst thing you have ever done. I was buying another game in Founder Pack. The PvP rules were changed without my consent. I feel ripped off.

Tell me honestly: will be stealing works only Barren Lands ? Welcome to TRAMEL !!!

By the way, what about pay Founder Pack owners money back ? You cheated them !!!