Citadel can still save the core player base...

Hearing that the developers flipped on their promise of 'no new servers' at steam launch was kind of a gut punch and the death knell for legacy servers. I get that it had to be done to protect new players, who would be reluctant to join a game at such a massive disadvantage, but it still means sending the core player base (who supported LoA for years) off on an ice flow.

However, there's a realistic and fair compromise between legacy and steam players.

Give legacy players the head start that they were promised back in December.

It does not have to be the full 2 weeks, it doesn't even have to be 7 days... a 2-3 day head start on the new server will provide a chance for the OG server population to consolidate without significantly affecting the new players from steam. It will make the fresh server feel very active and full for the incoming players. Most importantly it's a show of good faith towards the people who have stuck it out and a fulfillment of the original promise.

Furthermore, to keep things fair you could announce it as the last chance to get a head start before the release on steam for anyone wanting to buy the game off of your site.

Speaking for myself, such a head start would be ample motivation for me to give LoA another try.

Comments

• CerynCeryn Japan
    That's... totally reasonable. I think everyone who bought in early on still wants this game to succeed even if it means they had to start over again. The real reason they don't come back is the feeling that the everything they were doing up to now meant nothing.

At least this would give them a few days to have a character or get a small plot down so they could accomplish whatever their initial goal was when they decided to buy in for head start.

I'm not totally certain that I would stay on the new steam release server but at least it would give me an option if the existing servers die out after the steam release.
  • They don’t want to add a new because of a new server. They want a new server simply because they expect so many new players at steam launch that the capacity is needed. Just think what will happen if steam launch is and the servers crash or have long queue to login because of the many players. It would be a launch Desaster.
  • edited June 22
    Inter-server character transfer would also solve such issues.
    Not gold, not houses, not possessions, just chars.
  • Agreed on the character transfers, especially if they open a west coast server
  • The only way I can see a character transfer being fair would be if it were thrown into a delayed release schedule...

- 2-3 day head start for players who buy the game off of the Loa website + legacy players
    - steam release occurs
    - 30 days into new server one time free character transfer from legacy servers to new servers

Allowing character transfers of any kind at launch would be counter to the two critical reasons for starting fresh:

1. remove unfair divide between players who are completely new and those playing for months. You as a maxed out player will be able to farm the highest tier content on day 1 and will be literally weeks ahead of the curve.
    2. remove the unfair advantage from players who got to experience the game as it was being tuned... leveling skills was easier, resource access was more open, skills books were abundant, etc.

• edited June 23
    I don't think I'd mind as a new player if I joined a new server that had players who had been playing for months. Yes, they would be weeks ahead of the curve (bought the game year[s] earlier) & they levelled skills a little easier (weren't just given away though). Edit: some skills are easier now (quit carp at 95.4 cos of BW WBs and recently GMed with about 100 BW boards)
    The old players will obviously be able to farm gold quicker than newbs, and then buy houses sooner, but what's different between that and new players being put on one of the 3 existing servers (original plan) where we are all set for life?
  • @OG Brum

I have two maxed tamers and I don't think I'd mind transferring both of them to the fresh start server...
    running them straight to oasis, taming two wyverns. Then farming deception for hours, picking my two favorite plots in the game. Then proceeding to pk with impunity any noob player that I see leveling in the woods, in dungeons, in mines, yadda yadda. You're right, that'd be tons of fun for me... but that'd be a pretty bad experience for the new players that cross my path. Now multiply this by the hundreds of legacy players who will have the same idea. You think the forum posts about pks were bad before? Add to that thousands of green players who get to be crushed by hundreds of max'd characters.
    OG Brum said:

The old players will obviously be able to farm gold quicker than newbs, and then buy houses sooner, but what's different between that and new players being put on one of the 3 existing servers (original plan) where we are all set for life?"

You answered your own question. In your scenario there's practically no difference which is why there has to be a fresh start server and why there can not be transfers to it.
  • i quit cuz of the new server
  • Death said:

pk with impunity any noob player that I see leveling in the woods, in dungeons, in mines, yadda yadda. You're right, that'd be tons of fun for me... but that'd be a pretty bad experience for the new players that cross my path.

So you love to ruin noobs playing experience and assume everyone else will. Huge and incorrect assumption. Plus it is irrelevant if there are thousands or hundreds or just 10 ahole PKs, noobs will get dead fast cos there's only so many places to go and no timely escape mechanisms
    Death said:

You answered your own question. In your scenario there's practically no difference which is why there has to be a fresh start server and why there can not be transfers to it.

Sorry, your logic is abominable. If there's no discernible difference, there's no impediment to the change's introduction...
  • @OG Brum WHOOOOOSH!
  • Do you 2 elephant walk everywhere you guys go? The never ending circle jerk.
  • Typing whooosh adds nothing to the debate. Do you even have a rebuttal?
    CS said no new servers - I suggested an alternative that results in a similar outcome, while protecting us (the ones who bought in early) from a choiced of having 1000hr chars on a vet-only server or start all over a-bloody-gain on a populated one.
    If you have a sensible point of disasgreement I'd love to hear it.
  • edited June 26
    @grex @OG Brum

WHOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH!!!
  • Death said:

@grex @OG Brum

WHOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH!!!

500 members in my clan, 2-3 people still playing. WHOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHH and their gone.
  • edited June 27
    Whoosh? I didn't even read your post lol. I just pointed out where there is Death there is Ceryn. My original comment still stands.

Edit:
    Typo
  • Whoooosh is Death's way of saying, "I've been owned but can't bring myself to admit it."
  • @OG Brum no, it’s my way of saying.. holy crap these guys are idiots and what value do I get out of explaining anything to them?
  • Hahaha, what value did you get from writing that? It only served to bandage your fragile ego.
  • TeufelTeufel Aria
    edited June 28
    The new server is being added to deal with capacity issues, not to give players a fresh start, although you could do that if you wish. All four servers will be listed at Steam Launch. Most people will select based on ping and won't have any idea which server may be new or not. Not that it matters anyway, as there are like 20 people left playing and most houses have decayed, so it's almost like ALL servers are new at Steam lol.

I cannot confirm, but I'm hearing the new server will be for the Aussies anyway and there is a push by VE players to have it moved to the West coast. Makes sense to me, one west, one east, one EU and one Ausie server. That would cover just about everyone when it comes to ping, and people can play in similar time zones with fellow players on their server.

I guess we will see... May Tethys guide CS in the right direction with her never ending moistness!
  • beater07beater07 America
    Praise Tethys!
  • If servers are geographically determined, then the char transfer idea is moot.
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    edited June 29
    Grex said:

Whoosh? I didn't even read your post lol. I just pointed out where there is Death there is Ceryn. My original comment still stands.

Edit:
    Typo

@Grex
    I read these forums every day or so (unlike Death). You can find lots of posts by *just* me or posts with comments by *just* me. Death is off in greener pastures playing other games but I’m still playing Aria from time to time. I haven’t gamed with Death for 2 months or more.

On the other hand, I have literally *never* seen an idea that Death posted that you didn’t comment with something negative. I swear you have a bot or something that tells you when Death posts so you can come out of the woodwork and say something about it. You even admit to not reading what he wrote.

It’s not even reasonable most of the time. You have permanently marked Death as an “enemy” rather than just another guy posting on a forum and you tend to disagree no matter what he says.

Death is just a game geek. He knows a bit about the challenges and limitations that a small studio has and likes to theory craft what would make the game better. Sometimes I disagree with him sometimes I agree with him. Either way I choose to add my 2 cents to the discussion. Because I like that kind of discussion as well. I don’t have to agree with someone to see the point the are making. This is apparently something that is lost on you.

All this being said, Death isn’t advocating changes that *benefit* him personally in Aria or otherwise. He was one of the first people to argue for melee and mage tamer nerfs even though he mains both. He has argued that CS should include a new server so that the game can have a healthy environment for people who are new. Both of these things were a big “loss” for Death when it comes to his play style or wealth in game.

I just don’t see why you (@Grex) need to take a jab at him for basically no reason every time he posts.
  • Tldr
  • SanakSanak United States
    rgarrett said:

i quit cuz of the new server

Me too. Still play LOU a bit, but the straight up lie about new servers made me stop playing official all together.
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    Grex said:

Tldr

It's OK. I have been in enough discussions with you to know you wouldn't be able to comprehend anything that you read anyway.
  • Defend Death's honor. I didn't need to read what you wrote to know that therefore no reading comprehension needed.
  • This thread was about saving the core players not saving egos.

Woooooooossssshhhhh!

All these internet white knights trying to save people from themselves.
  • Ceryn, Leader of the White Knights. Continue elephant walking and circle jerking as is tradition in your order.
  • @Teufel months back CS said that there would be no new servers at steam launch, then a few weeks went by. Their stance changed and in a QA they said that there would be new servers but only as population needs demanded it. Then another few weeks went by and in a twitch stream they said definitively that on day one of the steam launch there would be a fresh server regardless of population issues on the legacy servers.

Did you hear something different more recently?
  • EigusEigus spain
    Guys... What steam release? They will make this choice when they run out of money, and that will be the end of this finally. Years and years of development, less skills than alpha, same bugs in most of the skills, almost all crafting is useless, hiding and stealth is garbage... Seriously what steam release... This is worst than an alpha