Stealing, and how to implement it

edited June 18 in General Discussion
Back in old UO, stealing was one of the many facets that made the game interesting. However, I don't see it as a skill listed here for Legend of Aria. One of the main reasons I can think is because of the old problem with stealing, the old swipe then bank where a thief, usually with nothing on them, would steal an item from a player at the bank then quickly stash it in their bank box, thus eliminating the threat of losing what they had stolen even if they were caught by the guards and killed or killed by other players for going "grey" in the middle of the theft. Eventually, stealing was completely nerfed into non-existence in the later portion of UO's lifespan due to so many people complaining but no solutions being found, as was EA's motive and still is to this day. Sadly, OSI never came up with a solution either.

But, one good thing about having not played for years is time to reflect on the problem and come up with a solution. I believe I have a fairly good one.

Players will only be able to steal items whose weight is less than or equal to their current skill level. For example:

10 skill can steal 1 stones or lower
20 skill can steal 2 stones or lower
30 skill can steal 3 stones or lower
40 skill can steal 4 stones or lower
50 skill can steal 5 stones or lower
60 skill can steal 6 stones or lower
70 skill can steal 7 stones or lower
80 skill can steal 8 stones or lower
90 skill can steal 9 stones or lower
100 skill can steal 10 stones or lower

Players must also have the "Slight of Hand" and "Pack Scrounger" skills aside from the stealing skill.

Slight of Hand: Increases the player's chance of successfully stealing items from another player's backpack or other containers.

Pack Scrounger: Increases the player's chance of looking into another character's backpack unnoticed.

Thieves will be unable to place recently stolen items into their bank box as the items will be flagged as too "hot" to be moved through legal channels. This will prevent thieves from using the "steal and quick bank" exploit where they would steal an item from another player at a bank then quickly place the item in their bank box before the theft victim or the guards could kill them and retrieve the stolen goods.

If a thief attempts to place a stolen item in their bank box while it is still flagged hot the bank immediately reports them to the guards and they are flagged criminal and the item is placed back into their inventory and the guards will begin attacking them and players are free to attack the thief as well.

Players who receive items flagged as "hot" will be flagged criminals as they are accomplices to the theft. In the secure trading window, it will show whether or not the items is hot.

In order to remove the hot status from an item, a thief must use the services of a fence. Fences are available to those who join the Thieves' Guild.

The Thieves' Guild is an NPC guild which players can join to have access to special privileges such as fences.

Once an item has been cleared, for a price, by a fence, the thief is then free to bank, trade or sell their stolen items to whom ever they please without penalty.

A thief is only flagged a criminal if they fail at an attempt at stealing. If the stealing attempt is successful, they remain anonymous but still suffer a loss of alignment.

Stolen items that are dropped on the ground, whether they are individually or in a container/bag, can be picked up by anyone without penalty. It is only in directly trading the items through the trade window that a player accepts responsibility to knowingly and willing receiving stolen goods.

Players who are not in thieves' guild who find stolen items on the ground can turn them into the guards. The guards will confiscate the stolen items and in return give the player a small amount of coin as a reward.

In the event a thief is killed with a stolen item on them, the item will appear as hot to all players except the one it was stolen from. This way, if a thief is caught stealing an item on them and they are flagged a criminal and killed, the owner will be able to retrieve their stolen goods from the thief's corpse.

Fences themselves move from place to place and never stay anywhere too long. To find a fence, those in the Thieves Guild must pay informants for the location of the Fence. Informants include innkeepers, vendors of specific shops, even some crooked guards.

So, to be a thief you need 3 skills:

Stealing
Slight of Hand
Pack Scrounging

I believe that if these rules are implemented into Legend of Aria stealing could be made to be both fair and enjoyable for players... you know, except those who get stolen from. But at least the thief won't be able to exploit and get your stuff easily, right?

Comments

• I always felt stealing made the game what it was (a choice to be, or not be, evil). Some of the funniest UO moments I witnessed were due to theft. LoA definitely needs it, done right.
    I think item value should count toward difficulty as well as weight. I also question a 'hot' item not being 'hot' if dropped. And not keen on the names of those skills -
    Prying (opening container / looking for item)
    Positioning (success modifier for:)
    Pickpocketing (stealing of item)
    Could have an ability associated too.
  • edited June 18
    OG Brum said:

I always felt stealing made the game what it was (a choice to be, or not be, evil). Some of the funniest UO moments I witnessed were due to theft. LoA definitely needs it, done right.
    I think item value should count toward difficulty as well as weight. I also question a 'hot' item not being 'hot' if dropped. And not keen on the names of those skills -
    Prying (opening container / looking for item)
    Positioning (success modifier for:)
    Pickpocketing (stealing of item)
    Could have an ability associated too.

If an item is dropped on the ground before being cleared by a fence it's still going to be flagged as hot. Basically, unless it's cleared, it's hot no matter what, unless you're the person it was stolen from. You are free to retrieve it as you wish because it was your item.

I like the name "Prying" for the snooping skill. Though I still like the name "slight of hand". It sounds more sly and sneaky.
  • beater07beater07 America
    Don't agree with this:

"Stolen items that are dropped on the ground, whether they are individually or in a container/bag, can be picked up by anyone without penalty"

So the thief steals item, places on ground with a friend ready to pick it up.

Also don't you see an exploit farming coin with this between two friends, one thief, one not?

"Players who are not in thieves' guild who find stolen items on the ground can turn them into the guards. The guards will confiscate the stolen items and in return give the player a small amount of coin as a reward."

• Check out Legends of Ultima. I hear they already have snoop and stealing implemented.
  • beater07 said:

Don't agree with this:

"Stolen items that are dropped on the ground, whether they are individually or in a container/bag, can be picked up by anyone without penalty"

So the thief steals item, places on ground with a friend ready to pick it up.

Yeah, but they can't do anything with it. It's still flagged as hot and therefore cannot be banked. Unless they dump it in their house. Plus, they are dropping it on the ground, anyone can grab it.

Also don't you see an exploit farming coin with this between two friends, one thief, one not?

"Players who are not in thieves' guild who find stolen items on the ground can turn them into the guards. The guards will confiscate the stolen items and in return give the player a small amount of coin as a reward."

It's really not much coin and not worth it. It'll take forever to make any sort of real money. 2 copper at most. It's more or less something to do with a hot item that you can't bank or do too much with.
  • Divinorum said:

Check out Legends of Ultima. I hear they already have snoop and stealing implemented.

Why aren't you playing it if it's so great?
  • Divinorum said:

Check out Legends of Ultima. I hear they already have snoop and stealing implemented.

Why aren't you playing it if it's so great?
    I do not recall saying its great. I prefer not to play on LoU because its trying to copy Ultima Online. Even tho I loved UO for years I would rather have a different experience with LoA.