quality of life

these are things that can change to make the game more enjoyable:

mapping that hills upward/downward should have interval openings to allow walking upward/downward. serpent's pass has an elongated environment where you can't walk down to levels 1~2 until you find the secret passage.

chests shouldn't be spawning inside of trees or scenery -- disallowing access (it's a bug).
https://i.imgur.com/hs5lqry.jpg

elite monsters like Lava Golem should give players warning before coming into contact. (scenery change, initial sound warning, minion creature flagging first, etc)

opening a map will take up the entire screen. I still haven't found the CLOSE (x) button. ESC doesn't close the map. the only option is to have your inventory open to right click the item itself. this is very poorly implemented. this is quite possibly the most game breaking because there doesn't seem to be a way to close the map if it's too large for your client.
https://i.imgur.com/Gr6aOXh.jpg

-
losing a pet -really- means you lose the pet. even if you hearth, recall, die, whatever -- the missing pet has no find function. or at least to my knowledge. there should be a pet recall skill w/ cooldown.
https://i.imgur.com/Qgl0MiA.jpg
pets get stuck on the environment and cannot move. this leads to losing pet or being unable to use pet in combat situations.
pets cannot open doors, which further adds to the getting lost problem. pets will randomly get blocked by doors and refuse to move even if it's open. give pets the ability to open doors and path properly.
sometimes newly tamed pets will continue flagging on their master. it's always a joy to have a Hunter or Huntress continue hitting me for 40-60 damage from 3 cells away even when tame. disallow pets from flagging their masters.
-

UI boxes need priority change when in focus/open with concurrent drag and drop. example: when you open your bank and have your backpack open and on top of the bank UI, dragging the box or item will cause slipping if items are over/under cursor selection.
https://i.imgur.com/KiosEUe.jpg

there doesn't seem to be a Character Selection option -- only Logout and Close Client. usually I want to select a different character without having to reload the server list.
https://i.imgur.com/HexuWqc.jpg

Server Selection screen doesn't have a Refresh option to review if server is up.
https://i.imgur.com/pLtDNwn.png

there is no method to rotate between corpses/characters underneath cursor. I believe Left Click should systematically switch between anything underneath cursor. I don't remember if UO had this feature, but it's necessary for LoA.

harvesting a tamed creature and releasing the tamed creature allows a second harvest. this is a bug.

multiboxers have consistent vision/ownership of areas/solo zerg capabilities. maybe it would be wise to disallow one HWID to connect multiple times on one server.
-------------------------------

any comments made below this initial post are simply banter, opinion, or for bump purposes.

Comments

• EigusEigus spain
    edited May 19
    Man game only need content we have exactly same things since years, any one know what the fuck are doing those devs? how is posible game dindt changed in all this amount of time?
    Also need same improvement in combat and response of >Legends of Ultima. They work in home what you pretend? they are doing nothing almost all day
  • I think the thing with the map is a resolution problem. Try setting the resoltion higher. But yes the map should soom with the resolution.
  • Ulfric_BiermeisterUlfric_Biermeister United States
    edited May 19
    The land barriers are an intentional design. They encourage exploring and reward people who learn the lay of the land. This is an aspect of real world warfare that can translate to in game PvP. Serpent's Pass is designed the way it is because there is a unique point of interest there.
  • Game needs flying mounts!
  • edited May 19

The land barriers are an intentional design. They encourage exploring and reward people who learn the lay of the land. This is an aspect of real world warfare that can translate to in game PvP. Serpent's Pass is designed the way it is because there is a unique point of interest there.

do you believe it adds value when quest locations are divided by a 5-10 minute walk from this location's terrain setup? I don't think it was remotely intentional -- as other locations are much more optimized for questing. it's like claiming the rock assets placed in the sky were intentional -- when it was simply the designer/editor who placed the asset above the ground by mistake.

the point of Quality of Life is to remove unnecessary stress. the game already suffers from a supposedly bored playerbase, but then you want to claim it needs unnecessary difficulty in movement alone. keeping the game as is won't help it progress. if you're going to add progressive difficulty, put it into dungeons and endgame content -- not the mainstream areas where new players are expected to roam. or simply change where quest camps spawn -- to balance an equivalence of time and reward similar to other locations.

Ultima Online is still one of the best games because of shards and customization. it would be wise for this game to use ideas from thriving UO shards and quality of life adjustments.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]

world bosses like Lava Golem should give players warning before coming into contact.

What kind of warning? a scream?

• Sacha said:

world bosses like Lava Golem should give players warning before coming into contact.

What kind of warning? a scream?

An environmental warning like lights, scenery change, sound -- sure, weaker minions.
  • edited May 20
    yeah, I'm already sick of the community. I've been pked a few times even though I've been running around as Apprentice ____, and carrying nothing of value. I'm told to "git gud or quit the game" -- which I'd prefer the latter as I'm still in the testing stages of whether or not I expected to devote myself to a UO clone. I rarely see players, but the ones who do exist are overtly negative, toxic, greedy. literally killing a player to steal nothing of value, worn utensils, and to gloat about their skillset of clicking around. I enjoy UO and pvp, but I specifically expected a timeframe where I could train a character to then engage in pvp. I made this thread to point out quality of life changes, but I'd say this game fully lacks the basic necessities where they matter most.

but what -truly- disgusts me is that the veterans of this game -- who supposedly no life things -- cannot fathom that a new player would appear. that there is no respect for someone who wanted to participate in the game and may provide a challenge when given enough time to build up. that it must be a necessity to eliminate the player before they can even participate in the game itself -- which further promotes no content. the game has no content updates, and that means the PLAYERS would have to create content by being part of the RPG. it's as though the community has a grudge against the game itself and wants it to burn before it can get out of the slump it experienced since launch. I couldn't even identify the individual or pker because there's no differentiation in the few players who do exist -- as nobody talks. I can't even tell myself "I'm going to pk these assholes when I finally git gud" -- because they have no meaning to me, the interaction was so bland and poor, and I'm pretty sure character names aren't unique to the character/account. I was also not given enough time to enjoy the game and find it meaningful. It would've taken a week of gameplay to feel a commitment (as time lost is meaningful versus something you enjoy), but this game doesn't give you an opportunity to find a meaning, desire, purpose in your actions. I haven't been given an opportunity to find something I prefer versus a UO private server or UO itself.

Now, I expect people to say "don't go out into the wilderness" -- but the game is MOSTLY wilderness. Trammel isn't a necessity, but there needed to be a wide enough gap for new players to train. there is absolutely no decent duration for this. this game is way long past due for basic pvp structuring, and I can only assume the developers want it this way.

Do You Really Want New Players Quitting Before They Start? because that's how poorly you've designed things.
  • Not disagreeing with you but it really helps to join a guild and you can gm most skills in protected areas. For combat do dispatch missions after 80. Trolls can take you to 90 also large spiders are great for skill to 80
  • edited May 21
    fibrosis said:

Not disagreeing with you but it really helps to join a guild and you can gm most skills in protected areas. For combat do dispatch missions after 80. Trolls can take you to 90 also large spiders are great for skill to 80

to summarize what you're saying: it requires a group of players to do the basic content of an already dying game.

which is wrong. it should not require a guild to go mining, animal taming, basic questing. especially when the numbers on those skills are low (apprentice~journeyman, 30-50). it's already difficult enough to find other players, but when you do, they're pkers and obnoxious assholes. your idea only applies to a game like EVE Online -- an mmo containing a larger playerbase, one overall server, and shouting/global chat functionality.

continued player interaction
    ----------------------------------

https://i.imgur.com/GARYeGd.jpg

the mentality of the playerbase is that I have no right to cry if I didn't drop any decent loot. I beg to differ, as people keep pking me just to block me from beginning the game. people literally take my shepherd's crook, mining pick, worn utensils just to make me buy another. the bodyblocking from the playerbase is worse than what I experienced from UO over the decade I played.

https://i.imgur.com/z4VjQib.jpg

the point of taking someone's head or cutting up their armor is a mechanic of open world pvp. but when UO was new, people weren't consistently obnoxious about it. players will always try to push boundaries of abuse and harassment, but that's why the developers needed to create a decent line to protect a new player (TO BECOME ESTABLISHED) before such harassment takes place.

and these things aren't done against me because a player recognizes me or wants me to cry on the forum. they have no clue who they're killing -- they don't know me as a player, if it'll actually benefit them to pk me, the possibility of fame/fortune because they killed me. these things are simply done because the players are malicious. it's done with malicious intent and to ruin the gameplay of others: griefing. Legends of Aria has no system to relieve griefplay.

and as a reminder: I'm on my 3rd day of play. I'm new to LoA, but with enough experience in pvp mmos to understand the system, and I fucking hate the experience given by LoA.
  • Wow- Keshanberk... you have an axe to grind.

There is no way you can simultaneously claim that there is nobody in the game, and that you're being blocked from content.

As for nobody talking, and everyone being toxic. It's just not the case. I have been playing this since the release and I seem to always find people to have a chat with.

You may want to consider that you are doing something wrong, or that you have some unrealistic expectations about the game. PKs kill players. They don't care about fame or riches... it's just the way they are playing the game. You need to consider that the challenge. To dodge them, to evade them, to get good and kill them...

It's a fun game. Sorry you're having such a hard time.

• edited May 23
    I streamed the game for 5 hours and not a single person appeared within that time.
    ^ proof enough that the playerbase went down, as beta(EA) had people grouping around city banks ^
    When I do see players, it's when I walk to locations through the wilderness -- when they're inside of a player house. The population of the game is absolutely lacking, and the remaining players are established enough to have a red character preloaded.

Honestly, to claim that I have an unrealistic expectation for LoA is pure deflection of the problems the game faces. I played during beta(EA), I played upon launch, and I highly dislike how the game ended up because that's the nature of a UO clone. Of course it's going to have pkers. But the pkers are rampant because LoA has no updates and people are STARVING for something different. PvP is the endgame, and it's brought to new players because most likely nobody logged in is new to the game.

I am, however, new to the game because I didn't establish myself from the launch. I expected to come back when the game had updates and bug fixes -- as the beta(EA) was poorly optimized. However, the game is STILL poorly optimized and lags like an unholy motherfucker due to Unity.

when did I say the game isn't fun? it's a UO clone. it's meant to be like UO. it's almost an exact copy of UO, but it has an indie dev team trying to model things around a 2d game on a piss poor 3d game engine.
  • I streamed the game for 5 hours and not a single person appeared within that time.
    ^ proof enough that the playerbase went down, as beta(EA) had people grouping around city banks ^
    When I do see players, it's when I walk to locations through the wilderness -- when they're inside of a player house. The population of the game is absolutely lacking, and the remaining players are established enough to have a red character preloaded.

Honestly, to claim that I have an unrealistic expectation for LoA is pure deflection of the problems the game faces. I played during beta(EA), I played upon launch, and I highly dislike how the game ended up because that's the nature of a UO clone. Of course it's going to have pkers. But the pkers are rampant because LoA has no updates and people are STARVING for something different. PvP is the endgame, and it's brought to new players because most likely nobody logged in is new to the game.

I am, however, new to the game because I didn't establish myself from the launch. I expected to come back when the game had updates and bug fixes -- as the beta(EA) was poorly optimized. However, the game is STILL poorly optimized and lags like an unholy motherfucker due to Unity.

when did I say the game isn't fun? it's a UO clone. it's meant to be like UO. it's almost an exact copy of UO, but it has an indie dev team trying to model things around a 2d game on a piss poor 3d game engine.
    "but it has an indie dev team trying to model things around a 2d game on a piss poor 3d game engine"

I couldn't have said this better...thank you.
  • i fail to see how UO being 2D is relevant - it was also available in crap 3D ;)
    I think part of the problem is the dev team are scared to be seen to make a UO clone and so seek alternative means of accomplishing what UO did right.
    Next update is PvP focused - hopefully they'll be making murder cost something; jail, gold, stats, whatever, but there must be a price to pay to give blues a sense of justice. One UO shard I played had bounties for PK's heads which was good but requires excluding blues played by / friends with red target.
    Anyway, I agree about the playability - rubberbanding while being chased can kill. But I disagree with the cause being the engine as I played earlier and I never had any problems with it. Pretty sure devs said it was client-side anti-speedhack code they added.
  • edited May 29
    OG Brum said:

i fail to see how UO being 2D is relevant - it was also available in crap 3D ;)
    I think part of the problem is the dev team are scared to be seen to make a UO clone and so seek alternative means of accomplishing what UO did right.
    Next update is PvP focused - hopefully they'll be making murder cost something; jail, gold, stats, whatever, but there must be a price to pay to give blues a sense of justice. One UO shard I played had bounties for PK's heads which was good but requires excluding blues played by / friends with red target.
    Anyway, I agree about the playability - rubberbanding while being chased can kill. But I disagree with the cause being the engine as I played earlier and I never had any problems with it. Pretty sure devs said it was client-side anti-speedhack code they added.

pressing CTRL next to a player house shouldn't freeze your client, but it does because the 3d assets are highly intensive on unity.

and it shouldn't even be a case because the assets appear already, but it's as though all the asset info and placard loads immediately when pressing CTRL.
  • edited May 30
    Worst I can replicate is a momentary stutter when running next to multiple heavily decorated houses. Nowhere near as bad as the rubberbanding through scenery (usually a random tree but occasionally just a patch of grass)
    Not a high spec PC either: Z170i ITX | 512GB 960 Pro m.2 | i5 6600t (noHT) | 16GB DDR4 | RX480 8GB (Flashed 4GB)
  • felbrogfelbrog United States
    sure