Message from Liz - We are listening!

Ewok_CSEwok_CS Celador Administrator
Yesterday we released Point Release 5, which features changes to our Death System among a host of other things. We added many of the changes to the Experimental Server for testing and feedback, and were happy with the participation we saw. However, we also dropped the ball with the Experimental Server, and we’re going to own that.

We did not establish any incentives for players to participate in testing, which means that many of the changes we put in place were overlooked and untested until the changes went live yesterday - this is something we are working on internally to fix moving forward. We also didn’t explicitly spell out every change in our Experimental Server patch notes, and that’s a failure on our part. That will not happen again.

It has become clear that a big point of contention and criticism is the 60 second loot timer. This was pushed live due to the lack of feedback from Experimental Server testing - and the failures stated above - and now that players have had the opportunity to properly test these changes and provide feedback on them, it is clear that this is not a feature the community is happy with. We hear you, and we will be removing this from the game. We will update you once a change is in place.

Thank you to those of you who offered respectful, constructive feedback.

Liz

Comments

• I am happy to see that the looting upon death is going to change. However, I think myself and the rest of the community is interested to know what else is planned with regards to mounts? What are you guys going to do to make your game more interesting/unique from other games? I am reading the forums and on discord, it seems to be the general consensus (albeit some support the change) is that people do not like the major changes you have made. Making severe ninja nerfs (ie. tax changes etc.) makes the community feel that they were betrayed by a company they trusted. The game at this point feels so bland compared to the community servers (ie. Legends of Ultima). They have wolves as mounts etc.

But I still believe in you. I am hoping that this game flourishes. I truly love this game but this last patch was just truly disappointing. It felt like a sucker punch to the face after you kicked us all in our no no parts.
  • An entire thread of multiple pages wasn’t enough to make you reconsider the ridiculously annoying mount changes. I find your fast cave in to this pure PvP change quite insulting.
  • KarakothKarakoth Denmark

An entire thread of multiple pages wasn’t enough to make you reconsider the ridiculously annoying mount changes. I find your fast cave in to this pure PvP change quite insulting.

+1
    Clearly they only read the PvP forums and not the countless of bad feedback on the silly mounting system change. Strike 2 :-)
  • I suggested on other post, why not auto dismount when in combat, casting, fishing, crafting, etc....whatever....and have horse become statue and go into our backpack.

I will trade the tax system for ability to dismiss mount to horse statue.
  • Grimfall said:

I suggested on other post, why not auto dismount when in combat, casting, fishing, crafting, etc....whatever....and have horse become statue and go into our backpack.

I will trade the tax system for ability to dismiss mount to horse statue.

This honestly MAKES the most sense. I feel like making it a spell/ability to dismiss your pet is just ridiculous.
  • FeastFeast USA east
    How can new players ever hope to get a decent plot? This is my biggest gripe. all of these good locations will be taken until the end of time now. not to mention the insane grind to even get a decent sized house/ plot.
  • I feel this is the same mistakes CS has made on many patches before this one and the systems put in place to prevent that fell very short. I know the community manager is new and I appreciate her attempts to bring it all together but missing the history of this game has put her at a disadvantage.

I have no idea what CS vision is anymore so testing without knowing is pointless to me. If you want good results CS should be more transparent on where LoA is headed, reasons behind the changes and how these will effect the overall end game/vision. I need to know what they have tried before and what they felt worked or didn't work before I waste my time suggesting something they have already tried. Incentives for players to participate in testing is nice but getting a reward for just logging in doesn't seem productive.

Trello board was a good attempt but it already appears abandoned with last update on Apr 12 at 8:13 AM.

Thanks for listening and good luck going forward.
  • Here's my feedback on the new patch:

1. Mount change - Without the ability to dismiss horses to backpack, standard horses will be virtually worthless. I know we still have an option to upgrade to ethereal, but that honestly is just a seasoned players option and not a new player option.

When you are unable to dismiss to backpack, your mount is very vulnerable to any enemy nearby when you get dismounted (be it PVE or PVP) and will pretty much die to a single hit of just about anything that attacks it.

So, every time you engage in combat or harvest some resources or get smacked by a bandit, etc... you now have a very high chance that your vulnerable mount will get killed and leave you having to run on foot until you replace it.

It's almost not worth even riding a horse because you are about 99% likely to lose it unless you can heal/rez it.

And a side note... without the ability to dismiss a horse to statue, you are unable to sell them on your merchant. This will be very bad for tamers trying to have a source of income from selling mounts!

2. Death changes - Not bad overall. I like the fact that you can instantly appear at a rez shrine and then have the option to rez there or run back to your corpse to rez (with all your gear... assuming it wasn't looted). This does make things a bit easier on new players.

Also the limited view of the "live" world while you are still not rezzed does help with the ghost cam issue. It is a bit harder to find a friendly person to rez you though... so it's not perfect. Before if you died, someone could see your ghost running to a rez stone (or you could seek them out) and might offer to rez you if they are close by. Now, they don't see you unless you are back at your corpse and by then you already made the long hike.

3. Lot/House cost changes - While the lowered rent does make life easy on people who already have a lot/house built... this change makes it extremely harder for new players to establish property.

If the intent of this was to create space for new players to claim property and make sure land was not taken up by inactive players... you've accomplished the complete opposite. It's now much easier for people to hold onto lots without much effort and much harder to claim the property initially due to higher up front cost.

IMO, tax rates should have gone up and lot/house deed prices should have gone down. That would force people to actually play to maintain their home and make it easier for newer players to establish their home.

Bank storage is sufficient enough to "live out of" until you progress enough to be able to make enough money to afford a house. I know I had saved up around 40g before I felt it was time to progress to a house. By then, I could easily make about a gold per hour just doing some missions in town. Affording the taxes on my completed house was never an issue once I got it built.

The thing that bugs me the most though is the cost to expand lot size. I had planned on expanding mine but heard "the lot taxes were getting lowered" in the patch so I waited til after... only to find out expanding was going to cost me 3 plat instead of a few gold. :-(
  • MulacMulac United States
    Uhm, the auction signs have gone up...should it say auction begins in 23 days or auction begins in 15 days?

Thought the auctions were to start today at 1 pm and run until thurs.
  • Daxxe said:

Here's my feedback on the new patch:

1. Mount change - Without the ability to dismiss horses to backpack, standard horses will be virtually worthless. I know we still have an option to upgrade to ethereal, but that honestly is just a seasoned players option and not a new player option.

When you are unable to dismiss to backpack, your mount is very vulnerable to any enemy nearby when you get dismounted (be it PVE or PVP) and will pretty much die to a single hit of just about anything that attacks it.

So, every time you engage in combat or harvest some resources or get smacked by a bandit, etc... you now have a very high chance that your vulnerable mount will get killed and leave you having to run on foot until you replace it.

It's almost not worth even riding a horse because you are about 99% likely to lose it unless you can heal/rez it.

And a side note... without the ability to dismiss a horse to statue, you are unable to sell them on your merchant. This will be very bad for tamers trying to have a source of income from selling mounts!

2. Death changes - Not bad overall. I like the fact that you can instantly appear at a rez shrine and then have the option to rez there or run back to your corpse to rez (with all your gear... assuming it wasn't looted). This does make things a bit easier on new players.

Also the limited view of the "live" world while you are still not rezzed does help with the ghost cam issue. It is a bit harder to find a friendly person to rez you though... so it's not perfect. Before if you died, someone could see your ghost running to a rez stone (or you could seek them out) and might offer to rez you if they are close by. Now, they don't see you unless you are back at your corpse and by then you already made the long hike.

3. Lot/House cost changes - While the lowered rent does make life easy on people who already have a lot/house built... this change makes it extremely harder for new players to establish property.

If the intent of this was to create space for new players to claim property and make sure land was not taken up by inactive players... you've accomplished the complete opposite. It's now much easier for people to hold onto lots without much effort and much harder to claim the property initially due to higher up front cost.

IMO, tax rates should have gone up and lot/house deed prices should have gone down. That would force people to actually play to maintain their home and make it easier for newer players to establish their home.

Bank storage is sufficient enough to "live out of" until you progress enough to be able to make enough money to afford a house. I know I had saved up around 40g before I felt it was time to progress to a house. By then, I could easily make about a gold per hour just doing some missions in town. Affording the taxes on my completed house was never an issue once I got it built.

The thing that bugs me the most though is the cost to expand lot size. I had planned on expanding mine but heard "the lot taxes were getting lowered" in the patch so I waited til after... only to find out expanding was going to cost me 3 plat instead of a few gold. :-(

A lot of well thought out feedback here. I hate to admit, I liked the potential of this game, was anticipating to play it since pre-alpha, now I've just stopped :( . The minor bugs like collision detection (ie getting stuck on objects or by walls) needs to be fixed. I still dont like getting dismounted after getting hit (UO never had this problem, you were dismounted by a specific skill), and also I still feel there's not enough PVE incentive here. Some days, I want to relax in the world.
  • Liz thanks for all your help and you working here does make a difference.

I bought this game on 12/4/2018 - I was playing heavy during the holiday. In fact - I liked being on discord, on chat, with a huge guild running around. Blue vs Red. Old UO glory days. Really loved it.

It had bugs, some problems, but was good enough.

Now instead of fixing the client, upgrading skills, making it fun - it now just keeps getting morphed into something that changes the style of the game further from what I was doing.

It adds all these rules, blocks, nothing fun. It just has limits, and really - I think its tailored for a solo player who sits in town, and wants a ton of systems to keep busy. Honestly...

When you are in a Massive Multi-Player Gamer - you want to compete fairly with other players.

I played UO back in 1998 right after beta. Played custom servers, had my own server - etc etc etc.

Been through a million changes - the only reason I wanted to play this game, is to play Ultima Online with more content, better graphics, and fair fighting with that adrenaline.

Fix it.

I would suggest to copy UO T2A system, and win back your player base.
  • Daxxe said:

Here's my feedback on the new patch:

+1
  • Liz thanks for all your help and you working here does make a difference.

I bought this game on 12/4/2018 - I was playing heavy during the holiday. In fact - I liked being on discord, on chat, with a huge guild running around. Blue vs Red. Old UO glory days. Really loved it.

It had bugs, some problems, but was good enough.

Now instead of fixing the client, upgrading skills, making it fun - it now just keeps getting morphed into something that changes the style of the game further from what I was doing.

It adds all these rules, blocks, nothing fun. It just has limits, and really - I think its tailored for a solo player who sits in town, and wants a ton of systems to keep busy. Honestly...

When you are in a Massive Multi-Player Gamer - you want to compete fairly with other players.

I played UO back in 1998 right after beta. Played custom servers, had my own server - etc etc etc.

Been through a million changes - the only reason I wanted to play this game, is to play Ultima Online with more content, better graphics, and fair fighting with that adrenaline.

Fix it.

I would suggest to copy UO T2A system, and win back your player base.

+1
  • I personally thought Mondains was the height of UO enjoyment because of more content and it gave trammys a safe place to play. Not everyone is a blood thirsty savage like me and I understand that.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    I personally thought quoting long posts just to add +1 at the end was bad taste.