Facebook with new trailer and new "steam release" in spring, another cash grab and run?

Yeah they did another time, steam discount , release date on spring. They are doing it another time? they are doing another cash grab move? selling vore vapor ware? and run another 6 months? or they will finally release steam this spring? what do you think? cash grab scam? or steam release?

Comments

• What are you phishing for? Play or get off the pot.
  • Gonads and StrifeGonads and Strife United Kingdom
    You have some strange idea of cash grab, its just advertising with a small promotion (standard accounts no less) to get fresh meat in the door.. its good, turnover is a revolving door and players are needed.

A cash grab would be allowing people to upgrade their standard accounts to champion/lord/founder etc...
  • EigusEigus spain
    edited April 17
    Is a cash grab because they are doing this fake news about the perms steam release knowing its false since more than two years... If u want new players, sell it legit, no with fake news. As a player I fell really scammed, that they have nothing to announce interesting in all this huge amount of time except the Steam release. And they are using it over and over again to grab new players
  • I am sorry you feel this way but I myself have hundreds of hours into this game and am still enjoying myself. So, I feel your definition of a cash grab and mine are probably somewhat different. Also, vaporware is software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed. This clearly does not pertain to LOA as it is available to buy through the official website. It just hasn't been released on Steam as of yet.

As far as the release date goes I would much rather wait for bug fixes and more content to be available for new players than to release a game that needs more time. I think it shows a lot of character about the company and the people running it that they are more concerned about putting out a solid product than pushing out something that they realized wasn't where it needed to be to a larger audience.

I know that what I say won't make a difference to you and these post with still keep popping up but it saddens me that because you have a bad experience you try to ruin the chance for others. When Steam release finally does comes out leave your review. I am sure it will be helpful information for some. I hope you find the game you are looking for because I am assuming this is not the right fit for you.

Oh and just out of curiosity how many hours do you have into the game?

Happy Gaming,

~~Ember~~
  • +1 ember
  • I checked out your comment history
    every single thing you've said from day one has been a troll post

its clear you don't like it here, why waste your time
  • edited April 18
    Ember said:

I am sorry you feel this way but I myself have hundreds of hours into this game and am still enjoying myself. So, I feel your definition of a cash grab and mine are probably somewhat different. Also, vaporware is software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed. This clearly does not pertain to LOA as it is available to buy through the official website. It just hasn't been released on Steam as of yet.

As far as the release date goes I would much rather wait for bug fixes and more content to be available for new players than to release a game that needs more time. I think it shows a lot of character about the company and the people running it that they are more concerned about putting out a solid product than pushing out something that they realized wasn't where it needed to be to a larger audience.

I know that what I say won't make a difference to you and these post with still keep popping up but it saddens me that because you have a bad experience you try to ruin the chance for others. When Steam release finally does comes out leave your review. I am sure it will be helpful information for some. I hope you find the game you are looking for because I am assuming this is not the right fit for you.

Happy Gaming,

~~Ember~~

I backed this game in 2015. I have invested almost 500 hours in the release version alone, and well over 1200 hours(or more, who can even tell at this point) in test builds of the game when it was Shards Online up through its transition into Legends of Aria. I admire your willingness to come to the defense of a game you enjoy, and its development team; you remind me of myself until recently. I constantly gave Citadel Studios the benefit of the doubt, made post after post and comment after comment, occasionally making an ass out of myself, in defense of Legends of Aria. However, at a certain point, enough was enough. My faith in this game and the team behind it has been shattered, swept into a dank corner, and forgotten about as it gathers dust.

This game has changed over the years. While I can't say it has all been bad, it has undergone a primarily lateral evolution since it became Legends of Aria. After participating in every testing phase, it's difficult to sit by and say they've actually made that much progress. Bugs still exist that existed in 2017 and more come with each patch, features have remained largely the same, the world map is still an empty and bland place to spend time, loot is underwhelming, the bandage hotkey is still broken on occasion,charge is still broken, UI clickthrough is still an obnoxious problem, necromancy and bard skills have been an empty promise for over a year if not longer, crafting feels like a full time job with minimal and insipid rewards, the list goes on. We constantly hear about how this will be fixed and that will be added, and it never happens. The Steam release has been delayed somewhere in the realm of 7 or 8 times at this point. At what point does one stop believing that a team is going to come through when there are things that have been bugged in some capacity or another since 2015? Why are they even trying to so much as conceive of new content for this game when their current content doesn't even work correctly? So we can have more broken features on top of currently broken features?

When do we stop making excuses for them and start holding them accountable? When do we stop saying "it's a small team, it just needs more time, don't worry about it guys"? Small team or not, I've seen small(er) teams achieve more in a damn near 5 year timespan. I've sat here and watched as they've added content, removed certain things, re-added certain things, redesigned features, and now here we are again, nearly 5 years later, still testing things for them as if this game is in alpha stage. Early access is not an excuse to slowly creep along, barely adding anything noteworthy to a live, persistent game. They make weird choices that don't make sense when there are more pressing matters at hand. Whose bright idea was it to turn up the bird noise volume on the title screen to the point that starting up the game turns it into an experience akin to logging your ears into a shotgun blast made of bird chirping at some ungodly volume when there were items vanishing from people's banks? Why was making tomatoes edible such a priority item? Why on Earth are we once again watching as they redesign core elements of a game that should be pretty damn close to feature complete and ready to go on Steam? The entire experience to me is indicative of a total lack of a cohesive plan, and it just looks like they're throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Shards Online could have been great. It was unique, it was fresh, and it could have been a spiritual successor to Ultima Online without trying to be Ultima Online. Now we have LoA, which both misses the mark on the attempts to imitate its predecessor and its attempt to expand upon it any significant manner. Call me bitter, but the potential of this game to be great has been squandered by an executive producer who doesn't seem to understand what fun is, and a project lead that unfortunately doesn't understand the shape his own game is in.

Miphon, Logrus did exactly what you do. When people say a system you've designed isn't fun or doesn't make a lot of sense, you double down on it and tell them they just don't get it. You give a vague, "politician's answer" whenever you're presented with a question that might force you to actually have to justify something you've done that the majority of folks disagree with. I sincerely wanted the best for you guys, and I still do, but after supporting y'all for so long and seeing where the game has gone(or hasn't), I can't continue to prop it up and give it a glowing endorsement.
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer

Ember said:

I am sorry you feel this way but I myself have hundreds of hours into this game and am still enjoying myself. So, I feel your definition of a cash grab and mine are probably somewhat different. Also, vaporware is software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed. This clearly does not pertain to LOA as it is available to buy through the official website. It just hasn't been released on Steam as of yet.

Happy Gaming,

~~Ember~~

I backed this game in 2015. I have invested almost 500 hours in the release version alone, and well over 1200 hours(or more, who can even tell at this point) in test builds of the game when it was Shards Online up through its transition into Legends of Aria. I admire your willingness to come to the defense of a game you enjoy, and its development team; you remind me of myself until recently. I constantly gave Citadel Studios the benefit of the doubt, made post after post and comment after comment, occasionally making an ass out of myself, in defense of Legends of Aria. However, at a certain point, enough was enough. My faith in this game and the team behind it has been shattered, swept into a dank corner, and forgotten about as it gathers dust.

This game has changed over the years. While I can't say it has all been bad, it has undergone a primarily lateral evolution since it became Legends of Aria. After participating in every testing phase, it's difficult to sit by and say they've actually made that much progress. Bugs still exist that existed in 2017 and more come with each patch, features have remained largely the same, the world map is still an empty and bland place to spend time, loot is underwhelming, the bandage hotkey is still broken on occasion,charge is still broken, UI clickthrough is still an obnoxious problem, necromancy and bard skills have been an empty promise for over a year if not longer, crafting feels like a full time job with minimal and insipid rewards, the list goes on. We constantly hear about how this will be fixed and that will be added, and it never happens. The Steam release has been delayed somewhere in the realm of 7 or 8 times at this point. At what point does one stop believing that a team is going to come through when there are things that have been bugged in some capacity or another since 2015? Why are they even trying to so much as conceive of new content for this game when their current content doesn't even work correctly? So we can have more broken features on top of currently broken features?

When do we stop making excuses for them and start holding them accountable? When do we stop saying "it's a small team, it just needs more time, don't worry about it guys"? Small team or not, I've seen small(er) teams achieve more in a damn near 5 year timespan. I've sat here and watched as they've added content, removed certain things, re-added certain things, redesigned features, and now here we are again, nearly 5 years later, still testing things for them as if this game is in alpha stage. Early access is not an excuse to slowly creep along, barely adding anything noteworthy to a live, persistent game. They make weird choices that don't make sense when there are more pressing matters at hand. Whose bright idea was it to turn up the bird noise volume on the title screen to the point that starting up the game turns it into an experience akin to logging your ears into a shotgun blast made of bird chirping at some ungodly volume when there were items vanishing from people's banks? Why was making tomatoes edible such a priority item? Why on Earth are we once again watching as they redesign core elements of a game that should be pretty damn close to feature complete and ready to go on Steam? The entire experience to me is indicative of a total lack of a cohesive plan, and it just looks like they're throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks.

Shards Online could have been great. It was unique, it was fresh, and it could have been a spiritual successor to Ultima Online without trying to be Ultima Online. Now we have LoA, which both misses the mark on the attempts to imitate its predecessor and its attempt to expand upon it any significant manner. Call me bitter, but the potential of this game to be great has been squandered by an executive producer who doesn't seem to understand what fun is, and a project lead that unfortunately doesn't understand the shape his own game is in.

Miphon, Logrus did exactly what you do. When people say a system you've designed isn't fun or doesn't make a lot of sense, you double down on it and tell them they just don't get it. You give a vague, "politician's answer" whenever you're presented with a question that might force you to actually have to justify something you've done that the majority of folks disagree with. I sincerely wanted the best for you guys, and I still do, but after supporting y'all for so long and seeing where the game has gone(or hasn't), I can't continue to prop it up and give it a glowing endorsement.
    +1 Toast

Took the words right out of my mouth. Glad you said it I might have cursed.
  • EigusEigus spain
    Wow finally some one also that is here since start and has some sense in his words. Is unexplaineable that the game add 0 real content in years. Seems that development of the game freeze in 2015 and till now they are only trying to sell some copys making false promises and the perma steam release. AND Hey boys no one is putting a gun in their heads to make false promises or put every 4 or 6 months a steam release, they do it cause they want. They grab some money and another, months with 0 content and years are going off and game improve nearly 0
  • Gonads and StrifeGonads and Strife United Kingdom
    edited April 18
    I'm not white knighting them, I just genuinely don't see 10 usd off a basic account as a cash grab, if we were talking about the other thing I mentioned (upgrading those basic accounts to founder/lord etc) then I'd agree with you.

• While I do appreciate your opinions and feedback I don't see it the same way as you do. Maybe it is because I have only been playing since right before release and haven't been around to experience what you have. There is value in your opinion and I respect that we disagree. I, however, enjoy the game as it is now. Am I looking forward to all the things that are promised? Of course, I am but at this stage for me, I am patient in my waiting. I understand the disappointment that you feel and I am sorry that you have lost faith in this company. I do not presume to know what goes on behind closed doors or why things have transgressed the way they have.

What I have seen in my time in LOA is a team that appears to be actively trying to put out a solid game on a small budget with a small team. I see/feel that they are trying to be transparent in what they do and get feedback from the community. Again, this is my opinion and I am entitled to it. It is easy to sit behind a keyboard and judge what you feel others should have accomplished. I understand timelines have been broken and things have been added and removed but maybe that is because it didn't work for their vision of a game. I have happily given my money in support of what they are trying to accomplish knowing full well where the game is at and what progress it has or has not made since I have been a part of it. As I said before there is value in each opinion and you are entitled to yours as I am to mine. I am not white knighting for the company as I clearly see what is going on. I, however, am not at the point where I have lost faith in them. Will this day come? Maybe, but until then I will keep enjoying my time in LOA.

• ALRIGHT LISTEN - I really loved UO - I love this game, but lost my house when I didnt log in over 10 days.
    I tried to log in every Friday and one day I forgot. Oh well. I still patiently very PATIENTLY wait - for them to fix it, for them to have a nice BIG PATCH - and let me log on with all my old guild buddies. I just dont understand WTF is going on - they need to just add new monsters, new bottlenecks, new sound effects, just add cool stuff. New mounts. How about the GREY KARMA SYSTEM FROM UO? We would go orange and get ganked all over for killing someone for stealing our kills. It's stupid - that system needs to be fixed, it has been mentioned 10000x before. Hopefully the DEVS READ THIS - Die Hard Fan
  • ALRIGHT LISTEN - I really loved UO - I love this game, but lost my house when I didnt log in over 10 days.
    I tried to log in every Friday and one day I forgot. Oh well.

You can pay your rent 4 weeks in advance. Not sure why you waited till the last day every week. At least now you can take an extended break and not worry about it.

• Miphon_CSMiphon_CS Citadel Team Administrator
    edited April 19

The sole reason you are afforded the freedom to make this personal is that we have relationships with our players, we listen to their feedback and we're constantly iterating on game design to meet player expectations and to improve the experience. We're not faceless individuals and we're fully accountable to all our players, their criticisms and we try to always give very honest answers to all questions.

As someone we've had a close relationship with, asked for feedback from and directly implemented many points raised, I'm surprised. Few titles afford fans the ability to share voice calls with developers, share 1 to 1 feedback and have honest conversations about game design.

In any case I'm more than happy to sit down in a voice call with you and you can tell me where I went wrong.

• Miphon_CS said:

The sole reason you are afforded the freedom to make this personal is that we have relationships with our players, we listen to their feedback and we're constantly iterating on game design to meet player expectations and to improve the experience. We're not faceless individuals and we're fully accountable to all our players, their criticisms and we try to always give very honest answers to all questions.

As someone we've had a close relationship with, asked for feedback from and directly implemented many points raised, I'm surprised. Few titles afford fans the ability to share voice calls with developers, share 1 to 1 feedback and have honest conversations about game design.

In any case I'm more than happy to sit down in a voice call with you and you can tell me where I went wrong.

Maybe start by explaining why the games has less things that it had in alphas and betas? Why it looks like the game content is so 2015?

I wasn't at shards online but played alphas and betas and I feel pretty much the same way as him.
  • I think you guys feel that the game seems unfished is because it is unfinished. It went through quite a lot of design changes as their focus changed and the developers/designers changed. Shards was supposed to be a smaller mmo like neverwinter nights with 128+ players on a shard and for people to mod and host it. When streaming maps became a possibility they decided to change to a full mmo and modding is an the backburner mostly for now.

We might not like some of miphons and the dev teams decisions, but it is their vision of the game and citadel is nice enough to provide the code to make your own vision of the game. Not sure any other dev company does this at the time?

I don't think anything went wrong except that they are still developing and maybe what we can accuse them of is that they had no full design for everything. It seems more like a we do it when we get there approach.

This game still needs patience and time to fully develop, but I think in time we will see many iterations of different systems as we have the possibility to make our own servers.
    :)
  • EigusEigus spain
    The think is in what they are working? they dont add new skills and nothing relevant in years, we dont know nothing about development. They only say each x months about steam release, but in what features they are working? we know something about bard skills may be necro we dont know what this guys are working on and they say that they are transparent with the comunity. Transparent in what? in give false news? what are this guys really working on? cause no one of us know nothing. We know more about what features are working in private servers with some test period shard open to try it before release than oficial shards.
  • https://www.twitch.tv/videos/413452081
    Video of the stream Stream with some stuff about what they are working on.

As for the class skills, I guess they will take a longer time as the base game is not even remotely finished.
    Neither the fighter, mage, tamer, crafter classes are finished and still need some overhauling so why throw more classes into it?
  • WormiusWormius Canada
    +1 to Psychic Toaster's post.

They also just ban people from forums/reddit/discord when they don't agree with the direction of the game as I and others have been. Nice way to treat a guy who bought two accounts to support the game, just sweep us under the rug I suppose?
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Moderator
    edited April 21
    Wormius said:

They also just ban people from forums/reddit/discord when they don't agree with the direction of the game as I and others have been. Nice way to treat a guy who bought two accounts to support the game, just sweep us under the rug I suppose?

It is precisely this attitude that you find yourself banned.

Citadel Studios does not administer Discord or Reddit.
  • Mnemosyne said:

Wormius said:

It is precisely this attitude that you find yourself banned.

Citadel Studios does not administer Discord or Reddit.
    Hard not to see a small amount of irony there.
  • EigusEigus spain
    obii said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/413452081
    Video of the stream Stream with some stuff about what they are working on.

As for the class skills, I guess they will take a longer time as the base game is not even remotely finished.
    Neither the fighter, mage, tamer, crafter classes are finished and still need some overhauling so why throw more classes into it?

HEHEHEHE they dont add new content since alpha, the fact is they remove content so in all those years of "work" they must did a big patch of all amount of content they fixed + new skills or removed skills + the steam release they announce this spring, i supose all this years of work are a worth it and this spring they with add the patch promised for 4 of december with new skills, revamped crafting and improved combat.
  • See, they banned that account for no reason other than they spoke out against the direction of the game. Rofl wtf is this?
  • OuijaOuija Canada
    In the main scheme of things , the way I see this is. your literaly paying to be a bug tester and part of the team right now. the game isn't out not like its suppose to be and it should be understood that toxic behaviour has a negative impact on the game/forums/discord. Though the game is about 40% of what I would have hoped to be at this point im not going to sit here and be vile about it. I will continue to give my support to the team and place my opinion in forums for devs to see. the way I see it .. the more populated the servers the more attention the game gets the more bugs get fixed the better the game becomes. its slowly but surely being molded into something that could be great. Keep up the advertising to bring in new players to test/bug report. I would like to see more bugfixes on the patch notes and more changes made , with a small team I understand it could be difficult. the problem there being I don't know how "small" the team is. I see 3 people in the Q&A. a road map is great however in the Q&A .. id like to hear more changes and things that are being made by the team without having to ask the question.

similar too , what are we working on now?

when the question is asked I don't wanto hear about 1 thing being changed I wanna hear the group of fixes by the individual team leads? if that's a thing. whose working on content and what kind of content whose working on bug fixes and wich bugfixes whos working on combat balance and wich parts of combat ETC.

I hate to say it atm but I feel like the game isn't ready to be played right now so I slowed myself down from the get go. im not trying to buy a house or grinding for 12 hours over the weekend at this time I don't see the point , tho I wish to do so in the future until the game has more resemblance of its successor I wont be. I will be playing the game casually noticing flaws and bugs and reporting diligently.

• EigusEigus spain
    edited April 22
    Yep we know near about 0 what they work in all those years, a video of a guy telling us that are working on tinkering and really seems dont know what they will do to make the skill usefull dont answer my question, what about all other things? what content is planed? what happend with the fps drops and the horrible that combat feels? what happend with new Mobs new models? what about all the aspects of the game? in what wasted all this years the time? we dont know nothing and the game feels like 3 years ago with small fixes and less content. So were are the results of all this time waiting?