Please keep mounted combat.

edited March 15 in General Discussion
https://trello.com/c/qjr4gce7/14-mounts-20

Casting spells or engaging in combat dismounts. Blah. Don't do it. Keep the mounted combat but add reasons to want to dismount before combat. Like being knocked off your horse because you got hit hard results in a stun. Maybe using bandages heal better while on foot or spells cast slightly faster. Have some weapon types that do more damage while on foot vs mounted enemies. Or add caltrops and bolas. Be creative. Don't just remove mounted combat.

The interuptable channel time to mount is good though.

Comments

• Mounted combat was all anyone did in UO for the most part and UO had shove mechanics that prevented people from being inhibited.

This game doesn't have those inhibit mechanics AND it has mounted combat that prevents use of a mount in PVE while simultaneously allowing mounted combat from attackers. This results in MUCH worse mounted combat mechanics than UO had.

Mounted combat either needs to be removed or balanced. The state of it pre-patch was completely imbalanced in favor of gankers.
  • edited March 14
    It is always better to balance than to remove a feature. I do think players get dismounted too often and it makes the special move "dismount" pointless. They need to adjust the damage it takes and the %chance of being dismounted. However i do think being dismounted needs to result in a big stun to make players consider getting off there horse anyway before engaging in combat. Some skills, such as healing, should be weaker on horseback. There could also be conditions which result in a higher% chance to be dismounted, like getting hit while casting a spell.
  • They better raise horse hps big time if they make it so we can't dismiss
  • SanakSanak United States
    Honestly why not get rid of mounted combat all together? You already get dismounted when anything sneezes on you.
  • edited March 15
    Not too many mmos have mounted combat. All of them are the same. Whistle and the horse appears...dismount and it disappears. Its nothing but a non combat speed buff. Blah.
    I dont understand why anyone would want something that makes this game unique from other mmos removed. Sure i get "dismount by sneeze" needs some work... but i'd rather argue to improve something than remove it.
    I just never been a fan of non existent horse combat in the standard mmos. Too me horse combat is part of the fantasy genre, like jousting. And like the lord of the rings shadow wraiths...chasing down poor frodo on their horses. They all didn't hop off before they tried to stab him!
    I think ideas on how to improve mounted combat are a good thing and should be discussed
  • SoapSoap United States
    Please don’t copy WoW’s dismount mechanics. Like OP said, mounted combat could be a cool feature don’t just remove it.

Instead of removing mounted combat, place debuffs for combat on a horse, slower mana regen, spells cost X% more mana or cast time is increased by X%, less accurate weapon swings but X% damage increase per swing while mounted(?), more abilities that cause dismount like add dismount capability to overpower, slow horse speed down while attack mode is active(?). Also a new type of saddle could be added that increases horse speed and decreases chance to be stunned/dismounted but severely or entirely negates combat while mounted.

Posted this on Dc.

Also, side not about Dreads, I’m not a tamer, but it seems Dreads<Dragons all day. Why not make a Dread be like the THEE horse to fight on horse back with. Obviously, this would have to be a tamer only perk but right now all tamers do is Drake “Kill all”, Ray of Frost till dead. Making a Dread negate or be immune to mounted combat debuffs, as stated above, offers more variety in tamer build, at least imo (If riding a Dread already does something like this then disregard XD).
  • Keep mounted combat +1
  • BoondiggleBoondiggle Fredonia
    edited March 15
    I like the idea of making dismissable mounts a special category. Being able to dismiss any horse is definitely a nice quality of life addition to the game, but I wouldn't mind working a little harder for an awesome mount and the status it brings. Being able to turn your horse into a statue feels like something special. That being said, having mounted combat adds a lot of value to horses as well, and it's an interesting dynamic in its own right.

Everyone should have a horse. If you don't have one then why not? A horse is one of the single most useful items in LoA, and bringing one into battle is a major part of how most people play the game. I really like the way mounts are implemented for the most part; trying to run around the battlefield without taking a hit and trying to keep your horse alive if it does happen. Small groups of lower-level players are able to punch above their weight when they bring horses with them. Getting knocked off your horse while locked in combat with a foe way too powerful for you spells certain death, adding thrill and excitement to the experience.

I know the dev team wouldn't have decided to remove mounted combat (and even mere "mounted actions") without some good reasons, but I can't think of what those might be. Could the devs join us in this discussion and talk about some of those reasons? Because to me it sounds like you're killing some good code.

Changing the horse debuff to a timer sounds like a great idea. I'm fine with testing that out for a while and seeing how it goes.
  • CenturionCenturion United Kingdom
    Keep mounted combat +1
  • Keep mounted combat +1
  • +1. Mounted combat is a nice feature.
  • Miphon_CSMiphon_CS Citadel Team Administrator
    edited March 15

I know the dev team wouldn't have decided to remove mounted combat (and even mere "mounted actions") without some good reasons, but I can't think of what those might be. Could the devs join us in this discussion and talk about some of those reasons? Because to me it sounds like you're killing some good code.

Changing the horse debuff to a timer sounds like a great idea. I'm fine with testing that out for a while and seeing how it goes.

The crux of the issue for us is this:

It favors and advantages the attacker in every situation. With that in mind it offers further advantages to those who inherently bring an advantage into combat, particularly with regards to numbers. In these situations some participants in the larger group remain mounted for the duration of the fight.

The speed disparity this creates makes it far more difficult for outnumbered groups to compete against larger numbers as some members of the larger group have a significant speed advantage.

This is a serious problem in how group fights play out and is a major balance issue which too often is ignored as it's normally perceived as the secondary reason why you lost a fight, the primary reason being 'we were outnumbered'. The truth is, you were outnumbered, but the current mount implementation gave substantial and unnecessary advantages to those outnumbering you.
  • DramaQueenDramaQueen Россия
    Miphon_CS said:

It favors and advantages the attacker in every situation. With that in mind it offers further advantages to those who inherently bring an advantage into combat, particularly with regards to numbers. In these situations some participants in the larger group remain mounted for the duration of the fight.

The speed disparity this creates makes it far more difficult for outnumbered groups to compete against larger numbers as some members of the larger group have a significant speed advantage.

This is a serious problem in how group fights play out and is a major balance issue which too often is ignored as it's normally perceived as the secondary reason why you lost a fight, the primary reason being 'we were outnumbered'. The truth is, you were outnumbered, but the current mount implementation gave substantial and unnecessary advantages to those outnumbering you.
    What about solo pvp?
  • Yeah remove mounted combat. My rogue will love it.
  • Keep mounted combat +1
  • TurrugTurrug Hamburg
    Miphon_CS said:

Or, u remove this abilyties to dismount by every 2-3 hit, and voila - all works again) and all fights mounted) and skill Dismount on Vaulge(?) isn't useless anymore) and yea, maybe big groups will have few ppls with Lancing, and they can Dismount small group and etc... but Big group have Charge, Stun Strike, Stun Shot, Wound, Hamstring, Shiel Bash, Frost Bolt) and yea, small group will die anyway))) But with your idea will die and Solo gameplay, solo PVP) i am leaved other game for this reason, just i don't like to play only in PRIME TIME, when playing all other from your guild) i like make FUN solo, when online is only few crafters for example)
  • what u offering - this is pice of sh......, realy 1st who's attacking lose horse? ok, let's see on this - im blue walking around and omg!! see pk killing poor miner. what im doing? im start shooting pk...losing my horse....pk kill miner and after him kill me, cuz im archer and archer without horse = deadman. Just explain us..
    for what u wanna do this?
    where's sense?
    why everyone should suffer, if someone does not know how to stay in the saddle?
  • SoapSoap United States
    edited March 15
    I honestly thought this was more about gatherers being ganked than for PvP. You guys have a flawed yet awesome system of combat. Mounts should play a key role in it.

However, why not make distinctions in mounted combat ability and foot combat ability?

On foot your character performs combat normally, while on horseback there is a significantly slower attacks, mana regen (lack of concentration), accuracy. The only buff being mounted should give is speed, and possibly an X% damage boost for melee, or just Lancers.

Give Lancers an ability to dismount players as well(like how channeling and hiding offer a skill ability, not talking about Volgue). Right now, Lancing is only good for Stealth PvP.

Also give players on foot the means to dismount players as well, ie a Hit from Overpower has an X% chance to dismount a player.

I think a lot of players are just getting used to PvP combat/fights so atm, when they’re attacked by a large force, many are inexperienced.
  • Who actually does combat while mounted other than groups of players ganking? The only ones I ever see are tamers and sometimes mages.
  • DramaQueenDramaQueen Россия
    I'm
  • Soap said:

I honestly thought this was more about gatherers being ganked than for PvP. You guys have a flawed yet awesome system of combat. Mounts should play a key role in it.

However, why not make distinctions in mounted combat ability and foot combat ability?

On foot your character performs combat normally, while on horseback there is a significantly slower attacks, mana regen (lack of concentration), accuracy. The only buff being mounted should give is speed, and possibly an X% damage boost for melee, or just Lancers.

Give Lancers an ability to dismount players as well(like how channeling and hiding offer a skill ability, not talking about Volgue). Right now, Lancing is only good for Stealth PvP.

Also give players on foot the means to dismount players as well, ie a Hit from Overpower has an X% chance to dismount a player.

I think a lot of players are just getting used to PvP combat/fights so atm, when they’re attacked by a large force, many are inexperienced.

I must agree....Please don't change the horse/combat system...
    These ideas quoted are a much better solution...and possibly make mounted combat another skill that takes 100 points to reduce negative effects and/or chance to be dismounted.

It's true Horses provide a combat advantage...but honestly they should...They always have in any game...
  • SoapSoap United States
    edited March 15
    Teufel said:

Who actually does combat while mounted other than groups of players ganking? The only ones I ever see are tamers and sometimes mages.

That’s true and that is what should be worked on not thrown out. You can just as easily bring 5 guys mounted with Spellchamber Precasts and down 2 guys with coordination. The fights still at a disadvantage even if the attackers are dismounted because you just dwindled their numbers anyway.

Run up close on a mount, ebolt+RB, charge, Ray of Frost/Hammy and dead.
  • Teufel said:

Who actually does combat while mounted other than groups of players ganking? The only ones I ever see are tamers and sometimes mages.

im pure archer and for me immposibl kill anybody if im on foot, if some1 run from me....just run and don't do anything else. we both run with same speed..... he's do nothiing..only running away..and i can't kill him. did u understand this?
  • DmitriyDmitriy Russian Federation
    And then what? Remove full loot? Red zones? PK as a style of play? On the main page it says: the Return of the truth of the sandbox"! You didn't think we were playing a game with graphics from 2000, with bugs, not optimized just because it had the rudiments of the spirit of Ultima? The game caused me nostalgia from the first days, and I play it for 4 months, even here the content for 2 weeks! But if we continue in the same spirit, I definitely won't be here long.
    Written with the assistance of an interpreter!
    +1 save the horses! )
  • Remove mounted combat +1

We absolutely need this system implemented, in my opinion.

I could not agree more with the dev team.

Great job guys!
  • Ithiel said:

Remove mounted combat +1

Great job guys!

Yes and players shouldn't be able to outnumber other players. Or stealth up and attack someone. Players with more skill points shouldn't be able to just attack other weaker players. Or use better weapons and armor. Or cast certain spells and abilities. Stuns and snares should be removed. Hearth stones should be instant. Heck they should just remove being able to attack other players completely.

We want trammel! We want trammel! We want trammel! We want trammel!We want trammel! We want trammel!
  • SoapSoap United States
    There is so much more that can be done to tweak mounted combat. Tamers in itself should be a crafting class. Offer more horse types with varying stats to add to the market.

Frozen tundra horses: Resist frost spells, snare less, etc

Mountainous Horses: Resist stuns, can knockback players (with DR), higher health, slower speeds, ideal for mounted combat

Plains horses: Faster, weaker, immune to snares, not ideal for combat but for gatherers

Add horse armor, customizable via loyalty store

Add additional saddle types

Anything but total removal of a flawed yet awesome idea. Don’t take ideas from WoW and put them in LoA. All I ask.
  • -g0d said:

Ithiel said:

Remove mounted combat +1

Great job guys!

Yes and players shouldn't be able to outnumber other players. Or stealth up and attack someone. Players with more skill points shouldn't be able to just attack other weaker players. Or use better weapons and armor. Or cast certain spells and abilities. Stuns and snares should be removed. Hearth stones should be instant. Heck they should just remove being able to attack other players completely.

We want trammel! We want trammel! We want trammel! We want trammel!We want trammel! We want trammel!
    We already read this nonsense ealier. Repeating it over and over only proves your NPC mentality.
  • edited March 15
    Try not to be emotionally immature.
    If they remove mounted combat then whats next. Stealth? Teleport? Charge stuns? Pks? Mounted combat isn't the problem..its a lack of players willing to get good. So many just whine instead of learning how to become better players. There are many other games out there that are dumbed down and newbified for these kind of players. I just dont want it to happen to LOA because it has the potential to be a great pvp game.
  • edited March 15
    -g0d said:

Try not to be emotionally immature.
    If they remove mounted combat then whats next. Stealth? Teleport? Charge stuns? Pks? Mounted combat isn't the problem..its a lack of players willing to get good. So many just whine instead of learning how to become better players. There are many other games out there that are dumbed down and newbified for these kind of players. I just dont want it to happen to LOA because it has the potential to be a great pvp game.

Lol says the guy who spams his responses to multiple people in the same thread.

Then chants nonsense.