Why Spellbook is blessed ?

If my character died i loss all my ammunition and weapons. Spellbook is similar weapon of mage as bow for archer and so on. I think that is not right that spellbook is blessed. Please write your opinion on this question. I hope that if this topic will gain a lot of positive feedback, the game developers will make spellbook not blessed.

Comments

• DramaQueenDramaQueen Россия
    edited March 12
    The magician learned the spell, do you want to erase the memory?
    In alpha magician had a weapon - a staff, now the staff does not exist
  • The magician learned the spell, do you want to erase the memory?

That is a feeble argument. For example a mage may say special words by chat window to cast spells without spellbook.
    edited March 12

The magician learned the spell, do you want to erase the memory?

That is a feeble argument. For example a mage may say special words by chat window to cast spells without spellbook.
    Return the staff to the magicians,
    Their things will be more valuable, more interesting to loot
    Your Ability Skills don't get lost right?
  • edited March 12
    The spellbook should probably be located on the bottom left of the paper doll, next to the ability and skill book..But i think because it can be equipped is why its not.
    Imagine if players died and got their ability and skill book looted
  • I think there is some change needed to spellbooks (make inscriptors important). Durability would be one easy option ...
  • BoeserBub said:

I think there is some change needed to spellbooks (make inscriptors important). Durability would be one easy option ...

I agree. But should only take damage if its being held in hand. Spell books should also have some properties on them like how weapons do. However i dont think a player should lose any spells if the spellbook is destroyed. Spells should just be added to the ability book on the paper doll.
    edited March 12
    -g0d said:

The spellbook should probably be located on the bottom left of the paper doll, next to the ability and skill book..But i think because it can be equipped is why its not.

I agree,
    Maybe .... maybe add slots to prestige skills:
    - mele PS
    - spells PS.

Why not?

And spells make like AB
  • edited March 12
    On the paper doll there should be the skills book, the abilities book, the spells book. Players should be able to farm or buy spell books they can equip with weapon properties on them like...fireball spell damage increase 20%. Or greater heal lower mana cost 10%. Spells do not go in these spell books, they just add bonuses and act like a evocation/manifestation weapon skill for defense. These spell books should not be blessed.
  • Need to make scrolls require less skill to use so more success
  • ZafuZafu California

If my character died i loss all my ammunition and weapons. Spellbook is similar weapon of mage as bow for archer and so on. I think that is not right that spellbook is blessed. Please write your opinion on this question. I hope that if this topic will gain a lot of positive feedback, the game developers will make spellbook not blessed.

You are equating a spellbook with 22 spells of 1-8 spell levels to a bow and arrows? uh, ok.

Zafu
  • No , they are equating losing the following on death each and every time to mages losing whatever reagents you decided to carry with you.

Melee Warrior
    Melee weapon of choice Obsidian 20+ Silver
    Full suit of armor, Obsidian? 1g
    Shield(depends on spec) 25s
    Bandages 2s (200 bandages)
    Potions (20s for 10)

Archer
    Bow of choice 20+ silver
    Full suit of armor Beast Hide 18s
    Basic Arrows 10s for 1000
    Bandages 2s for 200 bandages
    Potions 20 s for 10

Mages
    Reagents 100 of each 12s total from vendor.
    Armor: None required as Armor of 35 bare naked is fine.
    Weapon: required None, Spellbook is blessed and never wears out or is lost.

Cost Disparity much me thinks?
    You wonder why people are asking for parity??? Sheesh you have to be dense to think otherwise.
  • HawkshieldHawkshield United States
    I rarely see any fighters wearing armor at all
  • cause fighting high end pve monsters with no armor on as a warrior in melee? i think not.
    Warriors will lose more when ganked then Mages.
  • edited March 13
    Let's fix a bit of numbers.

There is a big difference between the 35 naked and the 55 in mage armor, but a +1 mage armor is about 12s.
    A cobalt +1 plate is 15s and a beast hide +1 is 25s. A shield +1 is about 5s. Mages surely lose less, since they don't lose a weapon.
    If you consider +2 though it is much closer. +2 mage is about 80s (silk), +2 obsidian is 60s and +2 beast hide is 50s, so mages pay for the "weapon" in the increased cost of the armor.
    Mages do carry bandages and potions, so those don't count.
    Bows cost much much more than 20s, especially warbows.

Real problem is that the mage stuff does not degrade, since they rarely get hit and the spells don't ruin anything. An archer needs to regularly change the bow and sometimes the armor, while a fighter needs to change regularly armor, shield and weapon.

For the ganking reward problem, maybe that they should drop 1 or 2 random scrolls from the book on death?
  • edited March 13
    This topic is absurd. This is a non-gamebreaking issue. Almost sounds like phony outrage. *mod edit - removed political references*

The game has much larger issues than this, especially with the lackluster endgame.

But like others have said. Be patient and wait for a future patch requiring mages carry around a staff or other weapon to be effective in combat. The economy isn't breaking because mages save a few silver each time they die.
  • Please keep your garbage reality out of my fantasy game forums
  • -g0d said:

Please keep your garbage reality out of my fantasy game forums

Hush child, adults are talking.
  • This topic is about "why spell book is blessed?". The appropriate thing to do would be to continue the conversation about the subject.
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    edited March 13
    Ithiel said:

-g0d said:

Please keep your garbage reality out of my fantasy game forums

Hush child, adults are talking.
    Says the MAGA guy arguing politics on the Aria board. I'm edit removing my comments this guy just wants to talk politics and it is derailing the topic.
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    edited March 13
    I would rather put this back on topic. So my opinion is that mages pay a lot of the "loss" as part of the cost of their skill gain. It is a lot more costly to build evocation and meditation to 90 than it is to grab a kryss and go bunny bash / farm up to 90. You can easily do these things in normal gear without being full obsidian. The choice to wear the minmaxed gear is purely a PvP choice and its a cost associated with being the "sustained" damage class that is tanky enough to jump in to the middle of a group. You can totally run around with kryss and bandaids just like you could in UO and you will still sometimes beat mages just like an "regs only" mage will sometimes beat a fully geared mage.

That isn't to say that there is no problem. I think spell reagent costs need to go up. In UO spells cost 2-3 reagents per cast and there were 8 reagent types. This meant that mages had to carry a bit more to be effective. As others have mentioned its a strawman argument to say the armor difference is that big in terms of cost. High end cloth is nearly the same cost.

Furthermore, its harder to draw a comparison since there is no "one" mage build. A heal/vigor mage will carry bandages. A piercing mage will carry a kryss. An archer mage will carry a bow. If they went blocking they would have a shield. The notion that a mage can go unprepared and win verses a melee is nonsense since if anything right now the scales are tipped towards melee.
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    edited March 13
    Edit- Removed since its not important to the discussion for this thread.
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    edited March 13
  • SoapSoap United States
    edited March 13
    Diamonas said:

No , they are equating losing the following on death each and every time to mages losing whatever reagents you decided to carry with you.

Melee Warrior
    Melee weapon of choice Obsidian 20+ Silver
    Full suit of armor, Obsidian? 1g
    Shield(depends on spec) 25s
    Bandages 2s (200 bandages)
    Potions (20s for 10)

Archer
    Bow of choice 20+ silver
    Full suit of armor Beast Hide 18s
    Basic Arrows 10s for 1000
    Bandages 2s for 200 bandages
    Potions 20 s for 10

Mages
    Reagents 100 of each 12s total from vendor.
    Armor: None required as Armor of 35 bare naked is fine.
    Weapon: required None, Spellbook is blessed and never wears out or is lost.

Cost Disparity much me thinks?
    You wonder why people are asking for parity??? Sheesh you have to be dense to think otherwise.

I used to think like you until I played mage. It’s 18 silver for 100 of each btw. And going Naked is a stealth Lancers dream, I’m talking 300 damage stab possibly more, so mages DO need armor. And if you’re comparing Obs full set of armor and weapon then compare silk full set of armor. Neither is cheap. I’d be all for having to pay to bless your spell book again, maybe like 50 silver, or have it degrade per death or like a weapon degrades. But definitely not lost on death.
  • Moderators, nuke this thread, it descended into the vast chasm of american politics which has no place in these forums.
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    edited March 13
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    CItadel blessed spellbooks and God blessed America. So is on topic. Unless we return to staves to substitue both of them? :lol:
  • ZafuZafu California
    edited March 13
    Sacha said:

CItadel blessed spellbooks and God blessed America. So is on topic. Unless we return to staves to substitue both of them? :lol:

I appreciate your attempt at humor, but please delete these idiotic political posts from our gaming forum.

Thank you. -Zafu
  • RevJoe said:

Moderators, nuke this thread, it descended into the vast chasm of american politics which has no place in these forums.

Yea, unlike that other guy, I don't save a troll full of files on my computer to copy/paste in every thread that has the slightest anti-TRUMP message.

I still think the entire topic about spellbooks needing to drop is pointless because of all the arguments mentioned here. Like I said before, just be patient until armor is worked on and mage weapons are implemented.

And one thing I didn't see discussed is spellbooks have no bonuses on them like weapons and armor do. You simply get the skill to cast, but no bonus attached to any of it.
  • -g0d said:

+1
  • Sacha said:

Hahaha, very witty. I like that!