Ganks/Unwanted PvP. Maybe Factions is the Answer?

TeufelTeufel Aria
edited March 11 in General Discussion
Maybe the answer is factions? Something like anyone not in a faction cannot be attacked by another player without consent, but if you opt into factions your loot table goes off the charts and you have a much higher chance at getting a book or rare at bosses. Add faction coin that you get from killing members from another faction. Coins can be spent on elite gear. If you're mining or chopping wood outside your protected town and factioned, you get 2 x drop rate.

The above could help with lore as well. By fighting for your chosen god, the god blesses you with luck, which is why a factioned player gets better loot.

Make faction towns safe for said faction. Helm safe for Tethys and Pyros Landing safe for Pyros.

I'm just brainstorming here.

I enjoy the thrill and don't mind getting ganked (well I don't enjoy getting ganked, but no biggie), but being a Seer in Discord, I cannot count the times a player has messaged me, while rage quitting due to ganks. Sadly, something will likely need to be done or it will only be a few of us left.

Also, bring back that cool island in space we had during NDA PvP testing. Let anyone (factioned or not) be able to go there for hard core fights. Full loot, etc.

Could factions be the answer?

Comments

• yea cool idea, let's make new wow
  • SanakSanak United States
    I honestly dont think there is an answer. The majority want either easy ganks, or no ganking at all. Not much middle ground.

Personally i would love to see something like factions. That could spark a real pvp scene into the game instead of just agressor/victim. However i dont like the 2x drop rate idea. Maybe areas that you harvest more/ mobs drop more...but shit then weve just got felucca. Idk, smarter people than me im sure can figure out proper implementation and risks/rewards.

You are not wrong that if something is not done there will only be a few of us left. Weve watched it happen in game after game after game with non restricted full loot pvp. As much as my nostalgia makes me want it, pking everything you see leads to tiny niche communities that burn out quickly.

Waiting on of the manifesto writing armchair devs here on the forums to give us the answer so we can find some sort of middle ground that keeps things fun and keeps people around.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    No need to give prizes to people who join faction, if you get the chance to loot the other faction members plus the thrill.
  • I like it how it is.
  • TeufelTeufel Aria
    edited March 12
    If people want PvP, man up! Join a faction and come get some. You can even gank in town. Sadly, my guild who went Tethys, as we worship her moistness, rarely find a Pyros to fight. Yet the wilderness swarms with reds killing miners and ganking solo or small groups of hunters.

Don’t get me wrong, many reds I’ve met are amazing people and good friends of mine, Rez their victims and even give them advice. But some just want to see the game burn.
  • Teufel said:

If people want PvP, man up! Join a faction and come get some. You can even gank in town. Sadly, my guild who went Tethys, as we worship her moistness, rarely find a Pyros to fight. Yet the wilderness swarms with reds killing miners and ganking solo or small groups of hunters.

Don’t get me wrong, many reds I’ve met are amazing people and good friends of mine, Rez their victims and even give them advice. But some just want to see the game burn.

+1
  • Sanak said:

I honestly dont think there is an answer. The majority want either easy ganks, or no ganking at all. Not much middle ground.

Personally i would love to see something like factions. That could spark a real pvp scene into the game instead of just agressor/victim. However i dont like the 2x drop rate idea. Maybe areas that you harvest more/ mobs drop more...but shit then weve just got felucca. Idk, smarter people than me im sure can figure out proper implementation and risks/rewards.

You are not wrong that if something is not done there will only be a few of us left. Weve watched it happen in game after game after game with non restricted full loot pvp. As much as my nostalgia makes me want it, pking everything you see leads to tiny niche communities that burn out quickly.

Waiting on of the manifesto writing armchair devs here on the forums to give us the answer so we can find some sort of middle ground that keeps things fun and keeps people around.

+1
  • Factions +1

This conversation has happened regarding factions several times on the forums.

Hopefully they are reading them.
  • SoapSoap United States
    Necro said:
    I like it except skill loss. I think that would turn away a lot of PK’ers. Maybe not.

I admit, my idea is probably even more extreme than that. I’d say the player who goes full on Red indiscriminately killing, loses access to their house and all towns, even neutral. Obviously a known outlaws not going to be safe even in the confines of their house. A new form of housing should be added for this type of player, like a nomadic housing. Not entirely safe either. You get a variety of on the go housing with containers that can lock down but are pickable, as long as the Red is logged on. Also, can only logout at this camp. This player would also accrue a bounty and can only be turned in to a specified, GM controlled character who tracks the bounty target and makes sure it can’t be exploited. I know it’s asking a lot but I feel bounty’s are too easily exploited to be dealt with by an automated system. Also, the Red could be captured with shackles and spend time in jail as punishment before being publicly executed. They then lose their extreme Outlaw status and respawn as a tier 1 Red. Just an idea =D. I don’t want to see PvE/PvP server separation as the “fix” because that’s the worst option imo, and without PvP this game would not be fun for a lot of us who enjoy PvP.

Just a side note, I was talking to a buddy about differences in Wilderness dungeons and Corruption. In the Wilderness, people work together to stay alive in my experience, vs Corruption where people try to steal kills or train monsters on you to wipe you. It’s my experience that the more guarded you are the less people play “nice”.

Sorry at work no Tl;dr atm.
    Soap said:

I like it except skill loss. I think that would turn away a lot of PK’ers. Maybe not.

It should. Outcasts should be 10%-15% of the population, not more. Should be a thrilling and risky life, not a humdrum miners ganking.

The idea of nomadic camps for reds is cool :smile:
  • Sacha said:

Soap said:

It should. Outcasts should be 10%-15% of the population, not more. Should be a thrilling and risky life, not a humdrum miners ganking.

+1
  • SoapSoap United States
    Sacha said:

Soap said:

True, I guess when going reds the only pvp option (atm) the thought of nerfing it anymore makes me cringe. Maybe once GvG and Factions become more viable it won’t look so guuuh to me haha

• IDiivilIDiivil Los Angeles, CA
    They also need to fix factions so you can join it as a red...
  • ironmanironman Brazil
    the problem with PKs is that they have another blue char to do anything they need in town or other places... Raise skill cap a little and limit 1 char per server... wanna do another role? play another server
  • Skill loss for reds is needed.

I like being red, but there has to be actual risk to being red, not just travel inconvenience.
  • NecroNecro Azure
    edited March 14
    Sacha said:

Soap said:

I agree. Its essentially forcing them to take a time out penalty which is exactly what they do to other players when they murder-grief them.
  • edited March 15
    Even factions will just be a numbers gankfest. Some days/nights there will be uneven fights. This applies to all types of PvP. Obviously not everyone can play everyday at the same time. Players from diff time zones and varying work schedules etc... Numbers will almost always win.

On a side note, 1 character per server is a great way to kill the game. It's way too late for that now as I'm assuming most players have lots of time invested in multiple characters. There would be a mass exodus for sure.