Adding some depth to healing

There are many discussions around the balance in pvp of healing. This discussion is not about that.

Instead i would like to discuss about the depth of the healing skill. Right now the healing skill is centered around a single vendored item, the bandages. The only thing that changes with skill is that healing increases, at 60 (and 60 vigor) you can remove poison and at 80 (and 80 vigor) you can ress.

Useful, but a bit shallow and does not interact with the game economy.

I suggest the following:

- Bandages always heal for a fixed amount (90?). You can fail to apply them depending on your healing skill. At 40 skill you no longer fail.
- New item: Sterilized bandages, heal for a fixed maximum amount (170?). Made with alchemy and require a skill of 60 to no longer fail and a minimum skill of 30.
- New item: Anti-toxin imbued bandages, heal for a fixed maximum amount (130?) and remove poison. Made with alchemy and require a skill of 60 to no longer fail and a minimum skill of 30.
- New item: Coagulant imbued bandages, heal for a fixed maximum amount (130?) and remove bleeding. Made with alchemy and require a skill of 60 to no longer fail and a minimum skill of 30.
- New item: High grade bandages, heal for a fixed maximum amount (260?). Made with alchemy and require a skill of 100 to no longer fail and a minimum skill of 50.
- New item: Adrenaline, resurrects players. Made with alchemy and requires a minimum skill of 80.

Number wise this doesn't change anything for healing. The heals provided are the same as the current one (the number in parenthesis should scale with vigor), and the amount of healing required to remove poison and to ress are the same ones.
What this does is give some depth to the skill, in the form of many more consumables to choose from and ties it up with alchemy, which right now is quite lacking.

If in the future we also decide that healing should change number wise, this solution gives more design space. You can have a consumable with insta heal and one with heal over time for example, or you can differentiate the cooldown depending on the specific consumable used.

Comments

• SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    +1
    Numbers a bit high for my taste, but I like the idea
  • nice but... various types of bandages would mean more slots/hotkeys - and restocking gets also bit more complicated. no big deal but some thoughts.
  • Sure, if you separate the cooldown for each type and then make it target specific for reuse. This would help balance Healing Vs Manifestation
  • +1 I think that is a good idea.
  • They used to have salves but they got rid of them
  • I like the concept but think a combat medic ability book would suit those skills you mentioned better.
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    edited March 13
    I also like this Idea in that it improves on the depth of the skill. I don't think it solves the issue which is that its just too strong to have an instant cast heal that's uninterruptible and can be used to heal 60-70% of your health. In fact this solution will probably just make it more likely that a well armed gank will always win against most people just out to farm mobs. (who will naturally have lower quality gear with them)

I think its better to give bandages the UO treatment. Make the heal happen at the end of a 6-8 second period. If people take damage during that time it reduces the amount healed at the end of the heal timer. This means people want to back off during the bandaging period. This makes battles a dance. You can't just bear down on a mage and have the fight be over if they don't also take healing. It means that there is counter play to bandages since you can time poison to disrupt them or reduce the healing as well. They can even adjust the numbers upwards a bit to compensate for 1-2 hits of reduction that will occur.
  • SoapSoap United States
    I’m glad I’m not the only 1 who doesn’t like the way healing works.

Healing in general needs a rework. I think potions need to be the center of the healing skill and bandages needs to be like ceryn said something you back off and use. Instant healing for 256 HP every 9~ is making fights dreadful.

Glad people are talking about this.
    +1
    Both ideas are good and not excluding
  • I agree that healing right now needs some tweaking on the effectiveness, but let me repeat the first sentence of this post.

"There are many discussions around the balance in pvp of healing. This discussion is not about that."
  • CerynCeryn Japan
    Ruggero said:

I agree that healing right now needs some tweaking on the effectiveness, but let me repeat the first sentence of this post.

"There are many discussions around the balance in pvp of healing. This discussion is not about that."

Your changes to healing would 100% make it worse when being ganked though. Average joe isn't going to walk around with alchemist crafted high tier bandages when trying to farm for money. The net result is that your changes make it easier for the average guy farming to be killed. This is why I said while I like the idea any change to "add depth" needs to keep in mind what it does to the overall game.

It can be the most interesting change in the world but if it ends up driving players away from the game because they feel like they cant use the store bought bandaids anymore and without farming they can't afford the "good" bandaids than it is a bad change.
  • Ceryn said:

Ruggero said:

I agree that healing right now needs some tweaking on the effectiveness, but let me repeat the first sentence of this post.

Your changes to healing would 100% make it worse when being ganked though. Average joe isn't going to walk around with alchemist crafted high tier bandages when trying to farm for money. The net result is that your changes make it easier for the average guy farming to be killed. This is why I said while I like the idea any change to "add depth" needs to keep in mind what it does to the overall game.

It can be the most interesting change in the world but if it ends up driving players away from the game because they feel like they cant use the store bought bandaids anymore and without farming they can't afford the "good" bandaids than it is a bad change.
    Good point.

The main problem is that healing right now is a mandatory skill which everyone has. That shouldn't be so.

Healing should be a support skill, which heals others better than yourself.
    Right now it's the opposite, so everyone is forced to have it. If a character with healing could heal for full effect on other chars on a 3 sec cooldown (12 sec on the same target, as usual), then healing would become a "role", and all the stuff I indicated would become a specialized equipment for that role. You wouldn't be required to keep all this stuff with you on non-healer chars.
    You then introduce a quick treatment item which self-heals (for about half the current bandage value), cannot be used on others, does not require healing to be used and is cheap and available for everyone. It also puts you on the same 12 sec cooldown for being healed. So if you are alone, then you can use the self treatment item, but if you have an healer in group then you leave the healing to him.

Or just scrap the self-healing, and leave out of combat healing to food and in combat to potions, but that could have truly drastic consequences.

This would also make it so that a skill cap of 600 is not so low, if you are not forced to take healing.
    Ruggero said:

Or just scrap the self-healing, and leave out of combat healing to food and in combat to potions, but that could have truly drastic consequences.

+1