Critical Changes to Bring Back Crafting Economy

edited March 9 in General Discussion
As many have stated before, Red players need blues to kill... blue players need a reason to stay in the game. The crafting economy and pve are both out of balance. GM'ing crafting skills feel lack luster and aside from hitting the end there's not much else to it. I see a lot of my friends who are solely playing the economy quitting because it doesn't feel rewarding to them when the most valuable things in game aren't crafted - prestige books and founders items. Give players a reason to commit to their trade skills by being the best at making items and gear. This is a fantasy game after all right? You want to fill the role of being the best crafter in the realm!

Here's some stuff that would bring it back into alignment.
1. Remove prestige books from pve drops, prestige abilities are back on trainers and cost ability points. AP requirement may increase from current values
2. Replace book drops with rare crafting materials tier 1 2 3
3. GM crafted items now have sockets... weapons and armor (even carpentry? could be unique finishes on furniture).
4. Rare crafted material can be socketed into weapons/armor to give them new bonuses

ex. obsidian armor with wis or will
ex. weapons with poison ability or vampiric touch
ex. gear set bonus that provides reactive armor
this opens the door to a bunch of unique gear that players can craft.

This also brings into light an issue with itemization. Current risk vs reward on +5 jewels is such that players prefer to run +3 jewels instead of +5 since +5 are so rare and are valued at a 1g+. This needs to be taken into consideration for drop rates so that players will risk the value of the new crafting gear for the benefits in a fight.

Tl;DR Crafters feel left out of the end game content. So turn awakenings and deeper levels of dungeons into farming for rare crafting materials so that people adventuring end game content work with crafters to complete the loop.

Comments

• Like this idea
  • Pretty sure the first half of that is planned for Frozen Tundra or soon after.
  • Great Idea +1
  • @squid I hope you’re right!

I believe you’re referring to the hint that Miphon gave regarding “mythic gear”. I really do hope that it’s an implementation that respects crafters and not simply gear drops from mobs. Fingers crossed
  • why remove AB and add rare crafting mat's? maybe better keep both? if dev's remove ab's we get army of clones
  • @mandrain ability books economy has to be tuned. They can't be the most valuable thing in the game over crafted items. If anything they should be crafted by inscription with the use of rare materials once again. Need to put the economy back in the hands of the players.
  • i just explain why idea with trainning ability from trainer is bad
  • and didn't see differance with crafting ability from rare mats. you loot ab's or u loot rare material for craft
  • mandrain said:

and didn't see differance with crafting ability from rare mats. you loot ab's or u loot rare material for craft

That is the exact problem... one system cuts out crafters... the other does not.

• Love how people complain about "Clones" when without them the entire system falls apart and will ruin the game with the "Have's" vs the "Have Nots".
    The Crafting suggestion makes a craft useful and helps engage the communtiy, more then entire guilds Manipulating the entire game economy through Extortion.

Hell you could have a GM Smith make the Silver bar required for the inscription recipe, a GM alchemist to make the solvent to be used by the GM Scribe combined with the ingot to make the Ink for the books.
    The require a new recipe for the skill book that would require Ancient scrolls and other materials to make the book, maybe even a fabrication recipe for the leather required for the cover.

Once this is all combined it will make a book of Tier 1 2 or 3 depending on the amount of resources used in the crafting.
    The book crafted would be random, then they can be sold. It would give multiple ways for everyone to have access and boost the economy and allow everyone a chance at them vs only a select few.
  • @diamonas exactly.

Not recognizing that there's a dramatic difference between farming a book vs using crafter skills and resources to make the same book with part of the loop embedded in farming end game content... well I don't think it can be explained any better than how you put it.

Connect the raiding guilds with the crafters and bam you've got the beginnings of a stronger economy.
  • The problem with using the raiding guilds still allows them to monopolise the book system and extort the economy. The way I indicated would put the power in all players hands instead of the dedicated few that can raid.
  • @diamonas i think there has to be some symbiosis between raids and crafters. It can't just be all crafters.
  • Peter Josepf got interesting approach to this issue...
  • Death said:

As many have stated before, Red players need blues to kill... blue players need a reason to stay in the game. The crafting economy and pve are both out of balance. GM'ing crafting skills feel lack luster and aside from hitting the end there's not much else to it. I see a lot of my friends who are solely playing the economy quitting because it doesn't feel rewarding to them when the most valuable things in game aren't crafted - prestige books and founders items. Give players a reason to commit to their trade skills by being the best at making items and gear. This is a fantasy game after all right? You want to fill the role of being the best crafter in the realm!

Here's some stuff that would bring it back into alignment.
    1. Remove prestige books from pve drops, prestige abilities are back on trainers and cost ability points. AP requirement may increase from current values
    2. Replace book drops with rare crafting materials tier 1 2 3
    3. GM crafted items now have sockets... weapons and armor (even carpentry? could be unique finishes on furniture).
    4. Rare crafted material can be socketed into weapons/armor to give them new bonuses

ex. obsidian armor with wis or will
    ex. weapons with poison ability or vampiric touch
    ex. gear set bonus that provides reactive armor
    this opens the door to a bunch of unique gear that players can craft.

This also brings into light an issue with itemization. Current risk vs reward on +5 jewels is such that players prefer to run +3 jewels instead of +5 since +5 are so rare and are valued at a 1g+. This needs to be taken into consideration for drop rates so that players will risk the value of the new crafting gear for the benefits in a fight.

Tl;DR Crafters feel left out of the end game content. So turn awakenings and deeper levels of dungeons into farming for rare crafting materials so that people adventuring end game content work with crafters to complete the loop.

+1
  • Diamonas said:

The problem with using the raiding guilds still allows them to monopolise the book system and extort the economy. The way I indicated would put the power in all players hands instead of the dedicated few that can raid.

+1
  • Gonads and StrifeGonads and Strife United Kingdom
    edited March 12
    Would like to be able to fill craft orders with pieces regardless of who made them once you reach a threshold in that skill (either GM, or enough skill to make it yourself)

Same with destroying armour/weapons even if for just 1/3 of the mats back.

Love the house auction lottery but is it an eye opener for the sort of nonsense thats been going on to see what sort of stuff people have piled up.
  • SoapSoap United States
    edited March 13
    I’m hoping CS adds player created towns, more so than just putting your plot close to each other.

Carpenters build the base wall foundation, BS’s create the fortification, and Fab’s create the banners to hang from the walls. Alchemists create pitch and fire bombs for the gates.

Hell eventually could even create siegecraft, which could be a specialization of a Blacksmith and Carpenter. Imagine 2 guilds at war and a 3rd supplying both of them with weapons and equipment.

Then you could hire guards and equip them with the best armors.

Man the possibilities with this game are endless. CS just needs to get it right.